IGNORED

More consoles - New Xbox series and PS5 Pro coming 2023/2024

Broker

Oof, my "console ownership" poll still has fresh wounds from the "Switch is/isn't current-gen" war and now this slide pretends that it wasn't part of any gen. ;) 

I hope to be redeemed for my "of course we'll get another Series console in this series of consoles, hence the name" comment a while back. Although I concede it'll probably be called Series Xbox X for maximum Microsoft consumer confusion.

Yeah I don't get the point of a refresh at that point. Supply constraints mean demand for the existing models has barely been dented, the number of games that aren't cross gen is incredibly small, studios are still struggling to adapt to new ways of working as a result of Covid, AAA games are getting harder to land right and aren't global chip shortages so high that everything is in short supply that relies on them?

I guess the only meaningful reason to do it is that supply may get even harder as a result of manufacturers shifting to newer chips, so they have to upgrade just to be able to make them. But it definitely doesn't feel as if it's warranted or earned. 

It's bullshit, this gen hasn't even started and with covid, the chip shortages the way they are as well as the fact devs are under massive pressure to deliver games with long tails, it doesn't make any sense. This isn't the PS4 and Xbox One that launched with obvious bottlenecks. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Who said it? Because I dunno who the fuck TCL are. 

I think they're the biggest TV manufacturer in China? Something like that anyway. They're fucking mahoosive either way.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

It hardly feels like the current machines have stretched their legs yet, personally can’t wait to play The Last Of Us Remastered Remake Remastered on these new ones though. 

Indeed and well that's the point hardly any software pushing the current consoles at the moment.

Still I expect they'll be a market somewhere for new consoles, same people that upgrade their phones every year. Although I'm expecting with the current economic situation appetite for new expensive gadgets may drop a bit maybe.

Personally? Sticking with what I have. More excited about PSVR2.

TCL are a consumer electronics company. Chinese manufacturer. They make TVs for example (4th biggest by market share globally last year at 8%).

So basically... It's in their interest to suggest that everyone is going to need an 8k TV next year.

Also the idea of moving onto 8k when 4k standards aren't even well supported and widespread is a joke. The average person still doesn't really have any 4k content worth shouting home about. We'll be lucky to get a proper slim version this gen.

52 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

TCL are a consumer electronics company. Chinese manufacturer. They make TVs for example (4th biggest by market share globally last year at 8%).

So basically... It's in their interest to suggest that everyone is going to need an 8k TV next year.

Interesting. Why would a TV manufacturer have access to this kind of privileged information?

Perhaps there’s a sensible answer to this question, but I can’t think of it. 

Smells fishy. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Interesting. Why would a TV manufacturer have access to this kind of privileged information?

Perhaps there’s a sensible answer to this question, but I can’t think of it. 

Smells fishy. 

They don't. They're speculating to convince investors that they are a good bet because an upgrade is definitely coming. Wink wink.

Unless I've just delorean'd myself.