IGNORED

More consoles - New Xbox series and PS5 Pro coming 2023/2024

Broker

TCL are a Chinese company that make cheap tellies, so this is likely just them advertising their futureproofing with PS5 Pro placeholding for 8K/120 compatibility. ‘If it comes, we'll be ready for it.’

(1440/240 would look amazing in motion, and I'd take that all day versus 8K/60. Motion blur's bad enough at 60fps to lose all this increased static detail.)

4 hours ago, Broker said:

F08AFE34-4270-47C5-B359-569011D380A3.thumb.jpeg.2170c891da7ba4b9115010f85872b3a2.jpeg

That guy looks like Craig from Brainteaser. God I loved Brainteaser, it was appointment viewing when I was a student. One of my housemates and I even appeared on it as contestants! I lost to some kind of quiz robot in the semifinal, but they had free diet coke in the green room. Free!

Anyway, it turned out Brainteaser were faking the listener phone-in and it was usually a member of the production staff who 'won' the cash prize, so my advice would be not to believe a single damn thing Craig is telling you in this picture.

3 hours ago, SMD said:

Also the idea of moving onto 8k when 4k standards aren't even well supported and widespread is a joke. The average person still doesn't really have any 4k content worth shouting home about. We'll be lucky to get a proper slim version this gen.

Yeah, but they'll try to foist it on its like they did 3d,4k,etc.

They're welcome to try, it's gonna keep backfiring more and more though. I'm still waiting for full HDMI 2.1 adoption across the board. Any day now.

The problem with 8K TV’s is that the majority of people won’t be able to accommodate a screen size big enough for it to make any difference, this is a problem with 4K even, to a lesser degree. 

But then the idea that either Sony or MS even could release a machine next year that pushes 8K :lol:

44 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Top right corner -

ZTHYvXgLUu9NXZL2Veh45m-1280-80.png.webp

Oh I know they are capable of 8K but they are not exactly pushing it, I mean how many games can run natively in 8k? Not even a top end PC is capable of that. 

No objections to a "Slim" design refresh at some point. There's zero chance of me ever getting a PS5 until it's significantly smaller and less stupid-looking.

An actual spec upgrade though? Can't see that happening.

14 hours ago, Stanley said:

It hardly feels like the current machines have stretched their legs yet, personally can’t wait to play The Last Of Us Remastered Remake Remastered on these new ones though. 

This. I'm happy with my consoles. I can see this being a long generation and would have preferred a refresh at least late 2024. 

Has there been a proper translation of this presentation so we know the actual context yet. For all we know they could have said 'based on the last generation we predict'!

Have we even seen these consoles running at their absolute limits yet? 

Flight Sim, Horizon, Ratchet and what not are pretty mind blowing, but I feel there is juice to be had somewhere in these monsters. 

Excited to see what God of War offers, but I feel we are still at the point where developers for the most part are playing it somewhat safe. I mean, Gears 5 using UE5 is really going to be something else I imagine. 

AMD's FSR 2.0 (their open source answer to DLSS) is meant to be really good. It's been confirmed as compatible with Series X (and I think S by extension).

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/23/22993152/amd-fsr-2-0-xbox-nvidia-gpus

I don't see why it wouldn't work on PS5 if Sony wanted to implement it. I wonder if this will obviate the need and appetite for Pro consoles this gen.

Let’s be honest come 2024 we’ll all be back in here eating our words and pre-ordering the moment they go live. I’m speaking for myself here obviously :doh:

Seriously though Xbox Series X is an awesome console, it doesn’t need an upgrade for a long time. 

15 hours ago, Stanley said:

It hardly feels like the current machines have stretched their legs yet, personally can’t wait to play The Last Of Us Remastered Remake Remastered on these new ones though. 

Yeah, I heard a sentiment on a podcast some time ago (around the PS5 reveal) suggesting that this is the first gen in a while where we've had "high end" products that don't seem horribly kneecapped for the sake of a budget price tag. PC specifications will always leave the consoles in the dust, but it still seems a bit soon to think about mid-gen upgrades.

22 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Yeah, I heard a sentiment on a podcast some time ago (around the PS5 reveal) suggesting that this is the first gen in a while where we've had "high end" products that don't seem horribly kneecapped for the sake of a budget price tag. PC specifications will always leave the consoles in the dust, but it still seems a bit soon to think about mid-gen upgrades.

Yeah it’s shame there are so few exclusive next gen games, have we even seen a third party AAA one yet? 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

No objections to a "Slim" design refresh at some point. There's zero chance of me ever getting a PS5 until it's significantly smaller and less stupid-looking.

An actual spec upgrade though? Can't see that happening.

I'm basically in the same place with the PS5.  Clearly they were concerned about thermals so it's got an enormous heat sink and is just s ridiculous looking machine, but now they are out in the wild in significant numbers Sony will be able to learn from what issues it has and make a neater 'slim' design when the time is right.  

However I do think there will be a spec bump.  It's just how the tech market is going.  The last ten years have shown people are perfectly willing to buy a slightly nicer version of the thing they already own even if it basically does exactly the same things. Backwards compatibility is here to stay, engines are built to allow games to scale and clearly we are still some way from getting 3080 level ray tracing on consoles.   This generation will run long again, we've had a couple of "lost" years with hardware unavailability limiting installed bases, new markets (China especially) meaning bigger overall numbers are being spread more thinly and Covid slowing down development. It's all set up to go 7-10 years again and a midway refresh seems like a solution to keep everybody happy.  

5 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I agree, although these things probably take a while to plan so I assume some sort of Series Xbox X / PS5 Pro is on a drawing board somewhere, awaiting an end to the supply chain constraints.

Last gen I started with a PS4 and then added the OneX mid cycle.  This gen I've started with a SeriesX and was thinking that i'd get whatever Sony releases mid gen (2024/25 ish) to go with it.  Certainly am hoping it's another 'long' generation as we really don't need to be iterating quickly these days.

The SeriesX is a stupidly awkward shape as a "tall/ long cube" and would much better fit under the TV if it was shaped like the OneX or SeriesS.

The PS5 is also stupidly large and silly looking so both would benefit from a revision into shapes that better fit under the TV even if they don't get mid-cycle spec bumps.

TCL? Maybe if it was TSMC I'd buy this slide but TCL know fuck all about MS and Sony's intentions. I'm not saying there won't be an upgrade at some point but these guys are purely speculating, and as someone has said this is obviously a sweetener pitch for investors to show growth will get a bump when they push 8K screens, and what will help sales. 

Speculation for speculators.

10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

AMD's FSR 2.0 (their open source answer to DLSS) is meant to be really good. It's been confirmed as compatible with Series X (and I think S by extension).

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/23/22993152/amd-fsr-2-0-xbox-nvidia-gpus

I don't see why it wouldn't work on PS5 if Sony wanted to implement it. I wonder if this will obviate the need and appetite for Pro consoles this gen.

Digital Foundry say it’s theoretically compatible with the Switch! I’d like to see that. 

I’m not into mid-cycle refreshes and never have been. I spend a lot of money on games and systems, but there I draw the line. I don’t see the value of it. 

The One X was a fantastic midgen refresh, easily my favourite console and one that reignited my interest in Xbox after it basically being a Forza player.

PS4 Pro was rubbish and really not worth it for me, would've rather skipped it and just waited for the PS5.

I only got the PS4 Pro because PSVR was actually improved by it, and PSVR had grabbed me by the balls.

If PSVR2 turns out to be a bit creaky on the PS5 and they release a PS5 Pro, I think I will end up doing the same again. Otherwise I’m not interested, and they can f**k right off - took me two years to get a PS5 in the first place.

14 hours ago, amc said:

TCL? Maybe if it was TSMC I'd buy this slide but TCL know fuck all about MS and Sony's intentions. 

I'm waiting for a really reputable TV brand like Polaroid to leak the information to be really sure.

Saw a headline that Sony are looking to phase out first party PS4 titles by 2025, so presumably there are enough legs in the old system to go that long. That would be 4 years into a new gen, is that typical? I know chip shortages may be a factor, but if we're still making games that work on the old system half way through a generation, we're not going to get a refresh before that. Surely.

Although honestly I've no idea when everyone stopped making 360/PS3 games.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Saw a headline that Sony are looking to phase out first party PS4 titles by 2025, so presumably there are enough legs in the old system to go that long. That would be 4 years into a new gen, is that typical? I know chip shortages may be a factor, but if we're still making games that work on the old system half way through a generation, we're not going to get a refresh before that. Surely.

Nintendo have definitely done it for their more successful handhelds. Although maybe not as long as 4 years. 

20 hours ago, Popo said:

I’m not into mid-cycle refreshes and never have been. I spend a lot of money on games and systems, but there I draw the line. I don’t see the value of it. 

I'd like to see the return of expansion slots for mid-gen upgrades. Better for the environment, cheaper, and it'd save the hassle of swapping a whole console.

(It'd also lead to new games running at 30fps without, but those of us who put framerates above res are the minority.)

On 27/05/2022 at 16:11, TehStu said:

Publishers are already cancelling last gen versions of games originally started on last gen hardware, despite the shortages and the work done on those versions already.

Cross-Gen support rarely goes past a few years once you've moved most active game buyers to the replacement systems.