Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

On 29/07/2022 at 14:05, Hanzo the Razor said:

Does this get better after Season 2? Bloody hell @Papilioand I have found Season 2 to be an absolute slog.

Not trying to play devils advocate or however that saying goes but I also didn’t enjoy season 2 and was advised to stick with it and feel like I wasted so much of my life watching this. Season 1 was okay but the rest was rubbish. Don’t persist with something just cos you’re already this committed.

I have enjoyed all of it, but I agree that Season 1 is head and shoulders above the rest. It's the only one with effective spookiness and anything that feels like actual stakes. After that it just leans in harder and harder on the Amblin-esque nostalgia, so if you didn't really like season 1 I don't think you'll enjoy the rest.

4 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Not trying to play devils advocate or however that saying goes but I also didn’t enjoy season 2 and was advised to stick with it and feel like I wasted so much of my life watching this. Season 1 was okay but the rest was rubbish. Don’t persist with something just cos you’re already this committed.

So far Season 3 has been a lot of Grange Hill level teenage angst and not much else. Close to binning it. Spielberg and Carpenter did this kind of shit better forty years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2022 at 16:45, Hanzo the Razor said:

So far Season 3 has been a lot of Grange Hill level teenage angst and not much else. Close to binning it. Spielberg and Carpenter did this kind of shit better forty years ago.

Recommend Super 8, which remains one of the best recent nods to Spielberg.

Christ, it’s 11 years old. When did that happen?!

On 13/08/2022 at 14:00, glb said:

Recommend Super 8, which remains one of the best recent nods to Spielberg.

Christ, it’s 11 years old. When did that happen?!

Saw Super 8 years ago. It was ok.

We've binned this halfway through Season 3. It's become a chore. No wonder Keir Starmer likes it. We're re-watching Breaking Bad for the umpteenth time instead and thoroughly enjoying it. 

We watched all of season four over the last week or so, and thought it was great, easily the best season since the first.

There’s no point repeating comments others have already made so I’ll try to add a few things I don’t think have been mentioned so far in the thread.

I had wondered how they were going to explain the kids all clearly being several years older than at the end of the previous series and so I was amused that they just ignored it completely. Apart from the fact that they spent most of the series trying to hide Elle’s curves until the last couple of episodes where they went in totally the opposite direction!  I thought the way they did Elle’s flashbacks with current Elle inhabiting her younger self’s memories was a really clever device, and the times when they used reflections to show young Elle were brilliantly done.

I liked the little detail that Lucas is reading The Talisman to comatose Max, Stephen King’s book about characters travelling into a parallel dimension and fighting the monsters there. I wonder with Max effectively being resurrected by Elle, will there be consequences in the final series? Will she have powers of her own, will she be corrupted in some way, could she even become Vecna’s or the Mind Flayer’s vessel in the Rightside Up?

When’s the final series out?

4 hours ago, Darren said:

We watched all of season four over the last week or so, and thought it was great, easily the best season since the first.

Me too but they got around it a bit by at least jumping the time line by 6 months to a year a couple of times inbetween seasons didn't they?

Finished this last night. I actually watched the last episode in three shorter TV style chunks.

Honestly, the whole thing is rather bloated now. I’ll be there for the next season but can’t say I’m mega excited about it.

Finally got to the end of this, and I’m actually annoyed at how much time I’ve had to put into it (at the behest of a 12yo, for whom this is her first real “horror” type show). What a bloody bloated mess. 

If I could sit and channel-flick between Goonies, Akira, Evil Dead, Breakfast Club, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser and a Metallica concert every 10 seconds, it would still be more coherent than the final episode. It was just a series of visuals that made no real sense. 

A bunch of characters are in the upside down, but others aren’t, but it’s at night, so you can’t really tell unless you’re looking out for spores. 11 is sometimes in a flotation tank and is thinking about her past in the Akira lab but it flits between her now and the de-aged version, though nothing else is discernibly different (decor etc),  so you’re not sure if it’s 11 now but not in the tank, her now but in the past, or her in the past and also younger. 

Dustin keeps having genius ideas and explaining them quickly and you sort of just go along with it (I don’t really have a problem, like I never had a problem with using a Speak n Spell to contact a flying saucer). 

I’m surprised to see people saying how Vekner was a cool baddie. Visually he was so dull! Just a dude without skin. Think of Freddie, Jason, Pinhead, Predator, Alien, hell even Voldemort. My daughter pointed out he looks like Jim Carrey’s Grinch, but without skin. To me he just looked like a pink version of Swamp Thing. 

Every single one of its influences told a better story in 90 minutes, than this did in… <quickly Googles> …THIRTEEN HOURS???

Like a few others on here, I liked S1, some loveable dorks and some Amblin revivalism, but jeez this just felt endless, indulgent, and lacking in any real peril, because it was just a bunch of stuff happening, and you knew some would work and some wouldn’t. 

I’m now going to sit my daughter down and watch Terminator 1+2, Alien, Aliens, etc, so she can see what proper action/horror can be like. 

Finished S4 this evening, overall really enjoyed S4 with ep4 being an obvious highlight.

We actually only started watching the show so binged all of them really - S1 was really good, S2 not so much, S3 back on form and S4 and some high points of the show but did feel like it was stretching it a bit thin - overall really enjoyed the whole thing and good to watch something different.

My biggest problem is watching the last few Better call Saul episodes alongside this and for me there is a gulf in quality on nearly every level - I proabably need to see some of this again as S1 really had the foundations for something special but S2 kinda kills a lot of the good work done. I dont want to be too down on it tho as overall I thoroughly enjoyed it but having read this whole thread people saying it needs some top tier editing are spot on!

I 'd add tuppence  to the mix that's pretty similar to everyone else's  but I will say that when they do tension right,they do tension right, there was some  really decent moments of peril throughout the season and that trend carried over to the final episode.

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

My biggest problem is watching the last few Better call Saul episodes alongside this and for me there is a gulf in quality on nearly every level - I proabably need to see some of this again as S1 really had the foundations for something special but S2 kinda kills a lot of the good work done. I dont want to be too down on it tho as overall I thoroughly enjoyed it but having read this whole thread people saying it needs some top tier editing are spot on!

I had the opposite problem in that I was watching S4 alongside Larry Obi Wan and, again, just a massive gulf in quality. Just in Stranger Things' favour.

On 20/08/2022 at 01:17, Twinbee said:

A bunch of characters are in the upside down, but others aren’t, but it’s at night, so you can’t really tell unless you’re looking out for spores. 11 is sometimes in a flotation tank and is thinking about her past in the Akira lab but it flits between her now and the de-aged version, though nothing else is discernibly different (decor etc),  so you’re not sure if it’s 11 now but not in the tank, her now but in the past, or her in the past and also younger. 

The rest was fair enough but I found these bits easy enough to follow. I did have the bonus of watching alone with no distractions though which might have helped.

On 03/07/2022 at 21:47, chris on the moon said:

Why are all the kids getting excited about  Kate Bush and not Philip glass?

A bit of koyaanisqatsi was in this too.

Absolutely. And it's been stuck in my head for days since I heard it there.

Watched the bit with the original movie again. Hauntingly topical. Western modern life grinding to a halt, and burning and fizzling out like a piece of rocket falling to the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Its main problem is it's not really particularly creepy or mysterious. It's just spelling out literally everything that's going. 

Spoiler

And the Basil exposition bit where El is then whisked away to get her powers back I was kind of rolling my eyes at. None of it felt particularly organic or earned. You can see the chess pieces getting moved around the board a lot. But it's very compelling viewing anyway, which is why the sequence at the end of episode 4 works so well.

I remember watching season, it was mesmerising and terrifying, we binged it until 2am in the morning.  Season 2 was Aliens to Season 1’s Alien - it was merely ok.  Season 3 had some great moments Billy & Max and Steve & Robin were great but was a bit confused. Season 4 was terribly dull.