IGNORED

Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

On 28/05/2022 at 18:20, Scribblor said:

Finished volume one just now. Enjoyed it for the most part, although it's probably too long.

One annoyance though - the final scene. Absolutely, totally unnecessary, shows a complete lack of faith in the audience. It's literally "you know the thing we've been showing you ALL EPISODE? The thing we've not been hinting at so much as just flat out saying? The thing that the previous scene made more obvious than necessary? Well, let us tell you again, only even more obvious, as though you had absolutely no comprehension skills at all."

It's the Netflix version of all those "the ending of [X] explained" articles that have been popping up all over the internet for people who apparently can't understand what "and they lived happily ever after" means at the end of a Disney film and I'm sick to the back fucking teeth of it. If you don't understand what has just been presented to you in the plainest possible way, maybe pay some fucking attention to what you're watching.

Caught up on all seven now. This post nails it.

Has so much potential to be incredible but there's just too much fluff and shit in there. Lop about 3 hours off over the episodes and you've got some top tier stuff.

38 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Good lord the end of Ep 4 was bloody amazing. 

So tense. 

On rewatch the whole episode is a series highlight.

But all the Russian camp stuff is d......rrrrr.....aaaaaa.......gggggg........eeeeeee..........ddddddd oooooouuuuttttt to fuck.

It does feel a bit like they had to do something just to get rid of the adults. 

The end did annoy me a bit....

Spoiler

Stop talking and get through that bloody hole you idiots!

I've never really been into Stranger Things, enjoyed Season 1 but skim-watched the next 2 series with the family. 

6 episodes in and I'm absolutely loving this. As bloat goes, it's entertaining and does enough in the brighter moments to get away with this. Neil out of the Young Ones is a great addition and the characters remain the strongest part of the series. Really looking forward to the July episodes. 

10 hours ago, cassidy said:

Good lord the end of Ep 4 was bloody amazing. 

So tense. 

We watched ep 4 last night and both my wife and I were holding our breath throughout the whole sequence.

Yep, the last 20 minutes of ep4 was astonishing. The best this show has been, and a genius choice of track for the Max scene. I’ll be surprised if they get close to that bit of alchemy again.

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

The characters remain the strongest part of the series

100%

Honestly the stories could be terrible and I would still be happy being in their presence. I mean that too. They literally act like you are there next to them! I always feel absorbed into it, and aye it's just brilliant. 

This season had some of my favourite moments in the whole series, but nothing will ever top the Steve and Robin in the bathroom, season 3. Truly brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Just found out the guy playing Munson is English. He's very good.

Probably intentional, but he's the spit of Robert Downey Jr. in both acting and looks. Marvel could save dollars on CGI hiring him for Tony Stark flashbacks.

And that girl introduced in ep. 7

Spoiler

that has a thing with Argyle? -Ally Sheedy,

or maybe my 80s brain is getting soft.

Watched it all now. That last episode was great, how it wraps this up is really impressive. I sometimes think this story is all over the place but at the very least, the last episode attempts to tie it all together to give the illusion that the writers had a plan from the beginning. 

I’m not going to but I would be super curious to watch it from the start again to see if it really does all connect

Mainlined the first four episodes last night and while I enjoyed all of it, and that last sequence in ep 4 was nicely done, it does seem like the main characters 

Spoiler

are now slathered in thick plot armour. Can't help but think this will affect the tension of similar situations going forward.

There's still five episodes to go, though, so maybe I'll end up looking foolish. I certainly hope so.

Really enjoyed that, roll on July 1st.

Spoiler

Episode 4 was best but if Max got, got, especially at the end of the run... Episode 4 would have been a phenom! Brutal, but it would have elevated it.

It's all very comfortable for the scooby doo gang, it's all just japes, but I suppose I'm watching Stranger Things and not early Thrones. :lol:

Also Hoppers ankle regen is next level.

30 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wait a minute guys, I’m confused about one thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Is Vecna 001?

I can only assume they’ve left it deliberately vague. 

I guess we'll have to wait until July.

I wish this show was out weekly. It used to a proper event every week talking about GOT with people and the forum and its like that with Better Call Saul atm too.

Would be great to see everyone's reactions to the likes of epsiode 4 and the end of 6 and then talking and speculating all week. 

14 hours ago, Popo said:

Wait a minute guys, I’m confused about one thing:

Hide contents

Is Vecna 001?

I can only assume they’ve left it deliberately vague. 

Um they pretty much spell it out.

Spoiler

At the send one of the tendrils leeches off Vecna's wrist revealing a tatoo.

4 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Um they pretty much spell it out.

Hide contents

At the send one of the tendrils leeches off Vecna's wrist revealing a tatoo.

Shave. :hat:

Seriously though, this season had very little respect for the audience, and the writing and dialogue felt lacking. The cast are so good it’s always a pleasure to be in their company, and it started and ended (cliffhanged?) well, but the bloated, saggy middle was ill-advised. 

Just finished episode 7 there. Absolutely brilliant with episode 4 as everyone has said being the highlight. The set up for volume 2 was heeeeeeavy in the finale, which leaves those episodes in a great place to just be mind blowing, so anything less than a new bar being set is going to disappoint me!

Spoiler

Oh we need more Eddie in the volume 2. The guy is a fucking legend. Has the potential to be as legendary as Steve when he made the jump to Evil Dead level badass but needs a ‘moment’, which I think is on the cards. Him talking to his guitar at the start just carried too much focus for it to mean nothing, so fingers crossed for a special finale for the full gang.

17 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I wish this show was out weekly. It used to a proper event every week talking about GOT with people and the forum and its like that with Better Call Saul atm too.

Severance says hello

All caught up. It's solid but I feel absolutely no sense of danger with any of the cast at this point, as if the Duffers won't dare to kill off any fan favourite characters. Felt like I was always several steps ahead of the plot as well...

Spoiler

... which made the lengths they go to for the reveal really unnecessary. It was so obvious who One was from the moment he pointed out the number to Eleven while she was playing Lucky Hit. On reading the rest of the thread I have to agree that it's as if the writers just don't trust the audience.

Also, they really left Mike, Will, Jonathan and that other guy in the wind, didn't they? And Mike is just an arsehole in this now- he was really insensitive and stroppy for most of this series, jabbing at Eleven after the roller skate incident and treating Will like shit. Jonathan's storyline is just superfluous as well.

Overall the series just felt like more of the same, which is probably what Netflix are after now that they're panicking about subscriptions. Not sure where they'd go with after this series- perhaps a spin-off with one or two of the characters, so they can do something different.

Positives: Robin, as ever.

Finally:

Spoiler

Also a bit on the nose to use Philip Glass' "Pruit Igoe and Prophecies" to soundtrack an origin story told in very much the same manner as Doctor Manhattan's: