IGNORED

Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

Spoiler

Great mid-season finale reveal, completely logical and earned and tying a bunch of plot threads together, tense and dramatic and stamped almost completely flat by a bunch of exposition in the middle of it.

Finished all seven episodes now. Massive improvement from series 3, in fact it’s probably the best it’s been since series 1, really looking forward to the rest of it. 

I've only watched the first few episodes but this is great ... Went into it feeling pretty sure it would be starting to feel tired, but not all. Amazing use of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill in the last episode I watched. Not even a song I particularly liked before. 

Quick question: Is this supposed to have jumped forward three years? My friend says so but I don't remember if they mentioned it in the first episode. 

Do we know what year it's supposed to be set in? Kate Bush suggests mid-80s but some of the things they are wearing look decidedly more late 80s or even early 90s to me. 

33 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Quick question: Is this supposed to have jumped forward three years? My friend says so but I don't remember if they mentioned it in the first episode. 

Do we know what year it's supposed to be set in? Kate Bush suggests mid-80s but some of the things they are wearing look decidedly more late 80s or even early 90s to me. 

It's set in 1986, I'm pretty sure there was a title card with the year on at the beginning.

One thing that’s been nagging me, and seriously do not read this unless you’ve seen all 7 episodes.

Spoiler

If the neck implant was stopping him from using his powers, why didn’t he just cut it out? 

4 hours ago, strider said:

second episode was much stronger but there’s still so much padding in them. The whole pace of each episode feels extremely off at the mo.

Totally agree, but the episodes thankfully feel a bit tighter as the series progresses (the first two episode are easily the weakest, IMO).

5 hours ago, strider said:

second episode was much stronger but there’s still so much padding in them. The whole pace of each episode feels extremely off at the mo.

Agreed. There are too many characters and storylines to address now. A couple of them could've been trimmed very easily and nothing would've been lost.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

One thing that’s been nagging me, and seriously do not read this unless you’ve seen all 7 episodes.

Hide contents

If the neck implant was stopping him from using his powers, why didn’t he just cut it out? 

It’s definitely a plot contrivance, but I suppose access to sharps in the lab would be heavily limited. 

4 hours ago, Popo said:

It’s definitely a plot contrivance, but I suppose access to sharps in the lab would be heavily limited. 

Yeah that’s the only thing I could come up with too. 

11 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

It's 1986, 6 months or so after the end of season 3 (there's a scene where it's referenced they're in the same school year).

I think Stranger Things has always played quite loosely with its influences. It nostalgic, not historically accurate. 

Spoiler

I like all the characters in this, except Will every season I watch and straight away just wish Will had died in season 1.

If we need to not plot armour the cast lets sacrifice Will to up the jeopardy please.

12 minutes ago, Gommy said:
  Hide contents

I like all the characters in this, except Will every season I watch and straight away just wish Will had died in season 1.

If we need to not plot armour the cast lets sacrifice Will to up the jeopardy please.

Spoiler

There are hints in there that Will suffered this wildly traumatic event - more so than anyone else - and so is unable to move on beyond his fixation of Best Friend Mike, but the show puts almost zero effort to exploring this. It's a shame, really. A bunch of Max's arc feels like it would have worked well for him, perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I refuse to watch this now in protest.

Incidentally, not surprised some of the replies are along the lines of "well it's not a documentary who cares".

And people wonder why we get so much shit like Picard shovelled at our faces.

I’m the first one to nitpick but the hacking scene uses such a weird mish-mash of computer stuff (an A1000 running Workbench 1.3 but in monochrome green?) that I think it constitutes a deliberate tribute to how 1980s movies depicted computers.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's a stupid thing to get hung up on. Like sad people who moan about how you can't take that tube train from this station to this other one.

Welcome to Rllmuk. :)

Just now, JohnC said:

It's a stupid thing to get hung up on. Like sad people who moan about how you can't take that tube train from this station to this other one.

It really isn't though. It's a show who's entire Raison d'être is a very specific mining of 80s nostalgia, and if you are going to do that specifically then greater detail does matter and solidifies its world. It's why the show resonated so well when it first came out. If that part is lacking it threatens to collapse the illusion.

Series like Better Call Saul among so many others demonstrate that if you really put the effort into background detail it can elevate something immeasurably.

These things do very much matter when it come to criticism, so it's not "sad" in the slightest, it's coming from a position of caring about the details that make up the whole because they add so much. There's an important difference between that and getting hung up on stylistic choices, or aspects that simply rely on suspension of disbelief.

It’s more effort to get Workbench 1.3 running in PC-style monochrome showing a bunch of random web code than it would’ve been to make it realistic. Although the code should’ve been literally anything else I’m willing to give them a pass on this goof.

Absolutely loved this. Can't wait for more.

Spoiler

Is it being implied that the Upside-Down basically never existed, or was just some harmless "other dimension" until Jane/011 blasted 001 into it? That's why it's stuck in that particular moment?

Just now, peeveen said:

Absolutely loved this. Can't wait for more.

Hide contents

Is it being implied that the Upside-Down basically never existed, or was just some harmless "other dimension" until Jane/011 blasted 001 into it? That's why it's stuck in that particular moment?

That's what I took from it, especially with the 

Spoiler

items in the house being from a few years before.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

It really isn't though. It's a show who's entire Raison d'être is a very specific mining of 80s nostalgia, and if you are going to do that specifically then greater detail does matter and solidifies its world. It's why the show resonated so well when it first came out. If that part is lacking it threatens to collapse the illusion.

If we're going to question the accuracy of the pop cultural details that the programme mines, then the whole thing immediately falls apart when you realise that a bunch of kids that age in 1986 never mention Michael Jackson.

(We know why of course...)

It doesn't really matter, though. ST is a theme park ride through period stereotypes. I wouldn't be surprised if the most ardent fans weren't even alive during the time it's set.