Strange Horticulture

choddo

Surprised there isn't a thread for this, think Edge gave it a 9. Great little indie puzzle game with some seriously nice artwork and atmospheric audio and evocative setting around the lake district. Can complete it in a handful of hours but I'm on my second playthrough just to see alternative endings.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much time for gaming recently, but was sent this as a lovely surprise, and it's great so far. Part visual novel, part puzzle / detective game - the setting seems full, rich and interesting, and a little creepy. One thing in particular I appreciate is that the UI that you spend all your time with has been really thoughtfully designed. Also, it's beautiful. Recommended!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump.

Been on my wishlist for a while but a drop to £9 pushed me over the edge yesterday.

Got a few hours in first thing and it's utterly lovely. Made it to day 3 and really enjoying the whole presentation.

Takes the basic Papers Please desk to things to shuffle around and makes a delightful puzzle game out of it. Loving checking the books and plants. Loving pouring over the map for locations. Loving the cat. Loving labelling plants.

Playing on Deck. I had to turn off the cursive text which makes it easier to read: maybe a touch smaller than is ideal. Having to manually pop up the on-screen keyboard isn't ideal. It should probably by "Playable" rather than "Verified".

And completed. Got one ending and went on to identify all the plants in the little epilogue.

Really wonderful experience. Relaxed puzzling interwoven with a nice little story.

I think it looks fantastic. Delightfully rendered and animated plants. Beautiful old school map that I think I appreciated more and more as I went along. Sounds fabulous. Particularly on rainy days on in a storm when you can hear the rain hitting the windows of your shop and the lightning flashes fill them with white light. Glorious.

I'm aware there are more endings but I doubt I'll go back for them. Whilst I think they could be interesting, without the general unawareness of which plant is which I don't think they'll grip me in the same way. And I worry that once I go back for one the simple auto-save list (which is well named) will become a mess.

I'd like games with branch narratives and auto-saves to think about displaying and storing their auto-saves in a tree structure. Start with a linear set of saves. If I reload one and do something different show this in the save list. The list of saves (nodes) branches into two separate lists. And in a game like this it could literally be a plant or a tree.