STEALTH ASSASSINS - spiritual sequel to TENCHU? NO OF COURSE NOT

Mr. Gerbik

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Imagine a remake with modern day graphics and controls but the same incredible atmosphere

What'd be the point in remaking it? You'd be able to carry forward so little of the original so why not start with a blank slate?

3 minutes ago, bear said:

What'd be the point in remaking it? You'd be able to carry forward so little of the original so why not start with a blank slate?

Dude, I just want SOMETHING

Spoiler

Not VR though, not like that

It's possible you might get another Tenchu at some point, although probably not in name given that From Software own it. This Gematsu story from the start of 2021 might be of interest, namely the following translated excerpt from Famitsu:

Endo: “Actually there was another thing… We trademarked the Tenchu subtitle ‘Stealth Assassin.'”

—Oh! How did that come to happen?

Endo: “We only acquired it because the trademark for ‘Stealth Assassin’ expired, there isn’t some deep meaning behind it, but it was reported overseas and now people are wondering whether Acquire will make another Tenchu again.”

—Will you?

Endo: “It would be difficult to do right now…. But, if the possibility arises, I would like to make a stealth ninja game from the ground up for the PlayStation 5 generation. To lay the groundwork for that, we acquired this trademark, which is the game’s subtitle overseas.”

I'm going to say the best you can hope for is a “Please be excited” logo announcement at this particular event.

3 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'm going to say the best you can hope for is a “Please be excited” logo announcement at this particular event.

That's more than I've had in over a decade 😭

I would be more excited for a new Way of the Samurai - if they hadn’t horribly murdered the series with the sequels by misunderstanding why the first one was so great.

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I would be more excited for a new Way of the Samurai - if they hadn’t horribly murdered the series with the sequels by misunderstanding why the first one was so great.

Yes! Love that first game. Yojimbo: The Game

A bunch of sites reported on Acquire boss Takuma Endo revealing that he'd like to do another Tenchu on specifically PS5 and that they'd trademarked the title Stealth Assassins as a potential alternative title. It completely passed me by until @Ferinepointed it out for which I'm very grateful!

This news hit early 2021. Given that they'd probably at least be thinking about a new ninja game, maybe even early prototyping before deciding to go after the Stealth Assassins trademark - maybe they've been working on it for two years already and are ready to at least reveal the game's existence with a short teaser???

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

What the fuck is “Tenchu?” Never heard of it. 

The evolution of a Pikachu if you make it hold a Heaven Stone. 

I like Tenchu @Mr. Gerbikso I am excited that this is possibly happening. I remember playing a Japanese import copy of the original and was so excited when they finally released a PAL version only to find it had been censored (no Shuriken damn it).

I still want Tenchu Z made BC, I never finished it.

9 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I like Tenchu @Mr. Gerbikso I am excited that this is possibly happening. I remember playing a Japanese import copy of the original and was so excited when they finally released a PAL version only to find it had been censored (no Shuriken damn it).

I still want Tenchu Z made BC, I never finished it.

I still have the original Japanese release:

Screenshot_20220603-092013_Gallery.thumb.jpg.eec17449098e45cbc53781c8286eec2b.jpg

The USA/Pal versions are better because they improved the performance, added alternative layouts, and two extra levels - among which level 5, the mansion in the snow, which is one of the best levels in the entire game. The only censorship I recall is replacing the shuriken with throwing knives just because of the UK. Not a big deal but I always found it silly that the rest of Europe had to suffer just because of you guys :P

This improved version was later also released in Japan with a new intro and stuff.

I never quite finished Z either. I have one achievement left for 1000/1000.... The achievement for finishing it on easy FFS :facepalm: This was a time when finishing on harder levels didn't necessarily unlock the easier difficulty achievements too.

After rinsing it on expert, then hard and then medium for dat achievements, I kinda got bored playing it on easy... I was always planning on going back and completing it. Never got around to it. Like you, I was also hoping for a BC announcement especially since Microsoft was the publisher of Z iirc.

On 01/06/2022 at 23:17, Mr. Gerbik said:

What if... Shinobido: Stealth Assassins??? Ultimate ninja game combo! @robdood!

Yes.  Although these days I'm not sure what I'd really want from a spiritual successor to Shinobido.  

I'd want it to be more like Tokimeki Memorial than Tenchu, I think 😳