Resident Evil 4 REmake - March 24th 2023

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

The castle is there shut up. Trailer riddled with monks shambling about stone gothic archways, watch it again.

The castle has to be there. It’s the best 5-6 hour stretch in the game, or indeed any game ever. It’s actually preposterous when you look back and remember how many amazing moments are in that section. 

2 hours ago, bear said:

There'll be a three year gap between the releases of the 3 and 4 remakes. If that's any sort of reliable indicator for the time needed do one of these remakes then the next one wouldn't be due until 2026. 

Entirely possible, seeing as the leak only goes til the end of 2024, but I'm not sure RE 5 or RE CV were popular enough to warrant a remake. Even though they'd be most welcome.

Interesting to note they've basically completely changed the art direction from the original. That first walk into the village scene is very colourful and natural looking. The sepia tinge of the original is no more.

That more than anything is the single biggest change - the original game had such a distinctive grotty grindhouse B-movie feel thanks to those specific visual choices, and it felt like a game where all of that came together in a such a specific way that even just going by what has been shown in the trailer it's obvious it will be a big departure from that.

That's why it kind of mystifies me at this point why people might be getting over excited about the prospect of it by virtue of it being called "Resident Evil 4", when ultimately it's something new. I think it's definitely dining out a lot on name alone here.

Fortunately the other new reimaginings of Resident Evil turned out very good, but I would argue they also traded on their name quite a bit as they differed greatly from the games they took their names from.

Basically, I'd be excited about this because of the track record of the previous two modern takes on Resi, not because it's Resident Evil 4. Because it isn't. It's something else. And that's probably a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2022 at 12:05, James Lyon said:

Get rid of the QTEs or add in even more? Hmm.

They'll probably take them out considering they removed RE2's Zapping system changes and RE3's Live Selection choices from the remakes.

On 03/06/2022 at 22:08, Doctor Shark said:

...some of the sillier bits of RE4 (the castle and giant robot, maybe?), they might add new stuff to make up for it. 

Surely you meant best bits there. The fun of the original RE4 was all the new crazy stuff they constantly threw at you making it a rollercoaster ride of a game. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’m beyond hyped for this. Played through the remake of 2 recently, and VII over the last few days. I honestly think Resi is probably the only classic gaming franchise that is still delivering for me. 4 games in the last 8 years and I love them all. All the other franchises I loved as a kid are dead (MGS), take a thousand years between new games (Zelda, FF, Elder Scrolls) or are shite now (GTA). Resi is still knocking it out of the park.

Hope they leave this in:

I try to never watch any clips of this as I don’t want to be reminded of it. I want the memory to fade so I can play it again as fresh as possible. 
5 secs in to that and I’m coming over all peculiar…

Given how absolutely INCREDIBLE the remakes of 2 and 3 were, how can this not be my most anticipated game release since forever (ok, Elden Ring did it for me too)?

I don't care if some (wrong) people say this shouldn't be remade, yes it's almost perfect as it is - but I will play this game in as many iterations and guises as they can throw at me. If Capcom turned around tomorrow and said their next 10 games will just be various remakes of Resident Evil 4 I'd be celebrating. 🙂

I work at home and have chosen to focus on work vs actually playing games a lot of the time.  So I have YouTube playthoughs of games on the TV whilst I work - a very nice audiovisual backdrop.  Resi 4 (in fact all of the Resi games) are great for this.  Resi 4 is just such an amazing, and creepy, little world.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:38, Benny said:

Interesting to note they've basically completely changed the art direction from the original. That first walk into the village scene is very colourful and natural looking. The sepia tinge of the original is no more.

I'm not so sure that's true as a general direction change. Depends on which bit of the trailer you look at. Yes it looks darker and all misty in some bits, but in others the original palette is still there:

image.png.3ce01b93e572fc5339754283e48cfdd6.png

image.png.660b73f971c09f818cba15d46d99bca1.png

More likely they're just able to vary things a lot more in terms of night/day and weather effects, mist etc. I think the overall look will probably be intact, at least in part.

It looks amazing to me, can't wait!

Until Unreal Engine 5 games start trickling out I think the RE engine is honestly one of the most technically impressive there is in general use.

36 minutes ago, Benny said:

Until Unreal Engine 5 games start trickling out I think the RE engine is honestly one of the most technically impressive there is in general use.

Totally agree.

And Frostbite obviously. The battlefront games at highest setting are insane. 

8 hours ago, Broker said:

Resi 4 is a spectacular game, but I find it very hard to adjust to the controls now. 

You get the hang of them again in 5 minutes, seriously.  The game benefits immeasurably from forcing you to stop and aim, it makes it what it is.

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

You get the hang of them again in 5 minutes, seriously.  The game benefits immeasurably from forcing you to stop and aim, it makes it what it is.

Resident Evil 4, with dual stick, strafe and run whilst shooting controls would be Resident Evil 6.

22 hours ago, Ry said:

And Frostbite obviously. The battlefront games at highest setting are insane. 

RE Engine seems a bit more flexible, having been used on Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter as well. I guess it’s not a fair comparison, though, as Dice only ever built Frostbite for the Battlefield games. It was EA that started trying to force it into other titles like Mass Effect: Andromeda. 

On 07/07/2022 at 22:32, Broker said:

I’m beyond hyped for this. Played through the remake of 2 recently, and VII over the last few days. I honestly think Resi is probably the only classic gaming franchise that is still delivering for me. 4 games in the last 8 years and I love them all. All the other franchises I loved as a kid are dead (MGS), take a thousand years between new games (Zelda, FF, Elder Scrolls) or are shite now (GTA). Resi is still knocking it out of the park.

Hope they leave this in:

Haha! So OTT but in a very innocent friendly way, Resi Evil 4 was all about that. 

• 2 months later...