Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe

JohnC

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

lol what? :lol: Haven’t seen those guys since the 90’s. I wonder if it stands the test of time…probably not ☹️

They’re in the new Chip and Dale film.

They did a new series about 10 years ago if i remember? I remember watching a few episodes at least.

Definitely watching this new movie though. Looks pretty crazy and fun. I watched B&B do america again a year back and it was pretty decent still.

Felt very cynical about this but "the floor's not working" got a laugh out of me in the trailer. It'll probably be a long time before I see it as I'm not subscribing to Paramount Plus.

2 hours ago, DarhkFox said:

They did a new series about 10 years ago if i remember? I remember watching a few episodes at least.

I seem to remember the new one from back then being a half hearted cheap job with lots of reused animation from the original show. 

38 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I thought the ‘new’ TV series was excellent, so I’ll definitely watch this.

Has Mike Judge been cancelled for something yet?

Pretty sure a new series of B&B are coming to paramount plus and i'm sure i heard King of the Hill was coming back too.

14 hours ago, Stevie said:

lol what? :lol: Haven’t seen those guys since the 90’s. I wonder if it stands the test of time…probably not ☹️

Why not? Mike Judge has been pretty consistently brilliant throughout his career so I don't see why he would suddenly make something bad now. 

10 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Why not? Mike Judge has been pretty consistently brilliant throughout his career so I don't see why he would suddenly make something bad now. 

When BB first appeared on MTV I was 14 years old and had just hit puberty. "haha he said wiener" was funny at the time, but I'm not sure it will be today. The billboard thing in the new trailer did give me a chuckle simply because it caught me off guard, but the question is will that be funny for 60-90 minutes?

B&B Do America is my sort of humour, lots of juvenile laughs, simple and silly, and it comes in under 90 minutes like any good comedy should. As long as Mike Judge sticks to that formula it should be fine. At least it had Don Cornholio in it. 

Had literally moved into a new house and whilst sitting in my unfurnished bedroom stuck on C4 and discovered B&B. It was the cornholio episode and my bro and a couple other friends were hooked on it from that point.  Channel 4 used to be so good on a friday night.

16 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I still find Cornhilio to be one of the funniest things ever put to film.

Easily the hardest I’d laughed in a cinema prior to the Borat hotel scene. I would’ve been about 12 though and haven’t revisited it since, so it’ll be fun to see if I’m too old and wise for them now.

• 3 weeks later...

This was enjoyable enough if you're into Beavis & Butt-head, but it's pretty much the same set up as Do America, in that they just wanna get laid and get mistaken for something more than they are.

I was hoping that by "Do the Universe" we'd have more time, space and multiverse hopping.

I did appreciate them keeping the same art style though and not going too HD with it all (ala The Simpsons), it really made it feel like an extension of the 90s stuff.

Its about on par with Do America, but didn't do anything particularly new or outlandish. Just good juvenile humour.

3/5 

Similar sentiments here. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how this stuck to the look and tone of Beavis And Butthead Do America, although I can appreciate how some may feel it's too similar, and they do reuse some ideas like Beavis getting on his hobbyhorse and having a rant, or them being the subject of a massive manhunt. Personally as long as they had the juvenile gags and Cornholio made appearance I'd be happy. Their trademark default snickering is very much there and good to hear, and I'd almost totally forgotten about the "bdoingngngng" Beavis does, that made me laugh more than I thought it would after the fact. It made me laugh out loud several times so it was doing something right. 

What a pleasant surprise this was. By which I mean that it even came to exist after such a long hiatus! As has been mentioned, it reuses a lot of the beats from Do America, and there’s nothing surprising.

That being said, after a remarkably shitty few years, it was so nice to hang out with these two losers again. Made me laugh just as much as when I saw Do America way back when.