Why are fried eggs so good if you're a bit hungover?

Lovelyman

Flipping a fried egg, you have to be really careful with that, my limit is about 10-15 seconds. My other half likes to make sure her food is 'safe' and will leave it on for about a minute. My tip is NOT to flip it and instead pour a spoon of water into the pan towards the end and put a lid on for about a minute. 

Scrambled eggs creates a division in my house, I swear they are supposed to be soft/velvety but my other half will keep cooking, again just to be 'safe' to the point where the scrambled egg becomes rubbery. Oh and the smell of overcooked scrambled eggs... 

As for poached eggs, even after attempting about 50 in my life it is SO hit/miss that it's just not worth it.

Please share any good tips/vids here!

Strictly speaking, I think doing the whole add a splash of water and then cover the pan technique changes it from being a fried egg into a braised egg. At least that's what they called it on Man Vs Food when I first saw them using that trick. 

I still use it all the time when I'm trying to fry eggs with a soft yolk. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2022 at 23:07, Lovelyman said:

I fancy trying yolks only scrambled eggs, nice and wet. 

That sounds proper nom. I actually genuinely enjoy egg white when fried, so I'd happily separate a few to get some yolks saved up. I rarely buy eggs, but am definitely thinking of giving this a go next time. And yes - nice and loose.

I love fried eggs. I tend to make them with a bit of butter in the pan and a lid on so they steam a little on top. Leaves them with cooked whites and yolks nice and runny, I don't bother adding any water.

I pretty much always sprinkle fried eggs with Urfa pepper as well.

Fried eggs are one of the few things I use vinegar on. It just adds a bit of piquancy that counters the lovely egginess. That or maybe a dash of tabasco or the like. Just remembered I could have got a couple of boxes of 6 large ones on their best-before-date for 10p a pop from the staff reduction shelf out back of the Sainsbury's I work at. Miffed about that. They keep for ages beyond their best-befores, and much of what I cook can be pimped beautifully by slapping a fried egg on top. (My veggie chilli is immense with an egg on top). Might pop over tomorrow, even though it's a day off...

On 07/06/2022 at 12:14, Capwn said:

Flipping a fried egg, you have to be really careful with that, my limit is about 10-15 seconds. My other half likes to make sure her food is 'safe' and will leave it on for about a minute. My tip is NOT to flip it and instead pour a spoon of water into the pan towards the end and put a lid on for about a minute. 

Scrambled eggs creates a division in my house, I swear they are supposed to be soft/velvety but my other half will keep cooking, again just to be 'safe' to the point where the scrambled egg becomes rubbery.

Does Canada have salmonella-y eggs (as seen in the US, and previously in the UK)? Because if so, then fair enough I guess, but otherwise your other half is committing crimes. I dread to think what she'd do to a carbonara.

Personally I like my fried eggs fried in butter so they're crispy on the bottom, but still nice and gooey on top. But then, I'm also a 'raw eggs on noodles' kind of person, so I'm probably some variant of wrong here!

• 3 months later...