Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - Horror anthology series coming to Netflix

FishyFish

On 28/10/2022 at 22:04, Don Wiskerando said:

The second episode tapped into something buried deep in my brain and I couldn't breathe during 

Hide contents

the first, cramped, tunnel sequence. 

That was the most grinning and vicarage reaction I've ever had to horror. 

Every time I see anything involving cramped tunnels I think of an old TV show I saw about caving where Kate Humble is crawling through a tunnel barely bigger than her, with a guy behind her and another in front. She starts to have a panic attack.

Absolutely horrific, I am never going inside anything smaller than a downstairs loo.

Episode 4:

Spoiler

Didn't even recognise Kate Micucci until the makeover. Some of the points the episode was making were a bit too on the nose for me but I enjoyed it overall, even if it's the weakest episode so far. Always a pleasure to see Martin Starr too.

51 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Episode 4:

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't even recognise Kate Micucci until the makeover. Some of the points the episode was making were a bit too on the nose for me but I enjoyed it overall, even if it's the weakest episode so far. Always a pleasure to see Martin Starr too.

Yeah I felt that, had it’s moments but it needed tidying up and condensing into half the runtime. Dan Stevens is always a pleasure though as well. 

Episode 4 was ok, and quite funny in parts, but it took sooooo long to get the (very slight) story across. I’m an old fart with a long attention span, but why can hardly anyone tell stories succinctly anymore? This could have been a 20-25 minute story, and would surely have been closer to that length in a classic anthology series? Creepshow does 5 stories in two hours FFS!

It’s the same with films. Shorter is usually better.

On 30/10/2022 at 13:12, Stevie said:

Anyone recognise the music playing in the beginning of the Viewing? When the car drives through the parking garage. 

I can't find the exact tune but I think it was composed for the series by Daniel Lopatin. It sounds a lot like this.

10 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

'Pickman’s Model' was a bit of a let-down. I enjoyed spotting the Lovecraft references and there were some nice effects but it didn't really land for me. The acting was a bit strained and Glovers accent was bad. 

Yeah that accent :lol: 

It was all over the place that episode. 

Pickman's Model - urgh. I'm not a fan of the changes here and that ending was so completely ham fisted.

Witch House - amazing to see Keziah Mason and Brown Jenkin brought to life, but the changes to this story weren't for the better and pretty much weren't needed at all.

I was looking forward to these two the most, and I can't say I really enjoyed them in the end.

Good lord, Dreams in the Witch House was an absolute stinker. Worst episode so far, even if it was good to see Brown Jenkin.

Spoiler

"Get the fuck out of my church!", really?

Edit: directed by the same director as Twilight, fucking hell. What a waste.

I'm beginning to think Lovecraft is pretty much unfilmable. Has there ever been a HPL adaptation that was legit good? 'The Colour Out of Space' was all right, 'Re-Animator' was fun but that was 35 years ago. 

I'm starting to see why Del Toros 'Mountains of Madness' film never got over the line. 

I was a little bit half asleep for this mostly, but I really was hoping for better. Some of the monster designs looked amazing, but the stories just seemed to leave me a little...what? like they would in Love and robots, or the Neil Blomkamp thing. The difference is they had a quarter of the length to setup, develop, and close the story.

5/10

9/10 for looks.

I watched Episode 7 myself tonight - Panos Cosmatos manages to create a hell of a style with everything he touches. It's insane how good he is at it creating a whole aestheticist and vibe. But I didn't like the story (and that's coming from someone who loved Beyond the Black Rainbow). It seemed to fall into that same trap as all the others in this series; huge time spent in a slow build up but very little pay off when things should should start to happen.

I mean I fully expected

Spoiler

Eric Andre to go bat shit insane (along with the rest of them). Just felt like he was criminally under used for most of it.

22 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I'm beginning to think Lovecraft is pretty much unfilmable. Has there ever been a HPL adaptation that was legit good? 'The Colour Out of Space' was all right, 'Re-Animator' was fun but that was 35 years ago. 

I'm starting to see why Del Toros 'Mountains of Madness' film never got over the line. 

I went into this with high hopes that the bigger scale stories could, but that's fallen completely on its face now seeing how all of these turned out. I'd love to see Dunwich and Mountains on screen in a way that only modern day tech and budget could bring them to life, but sadly I don't think I'd like whatever they'd have to chop the story up into achieve it.