Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - Horror anthology series coming to Netflix

FishyFish

13 hours ago, yakumo said:

Watched Autopsy and that was legitimately great, shades of the autopsy of Jane Doe but I was itching to find out how it resolve itself. That and the storage room are my favourite so far.

Autopsy was an insanely good episode!

I'd agree with a few other people that the episodes are way too long for what they are. Most of these stories should have been 30-45 minutes max.

It's a curse of the streaming age that average episode lengths seem to have increased across the board for no good reason. On broadcast TV it used to be that you generally got either 22 minute episodes for a 30 minute slot or 45 minute episodes for an hour slot. 

Now without those broadcast slot restrictions you just get episodes for everything pushing a full 60-70 minutes or more and it seems to breed a bit of laziness when it comes to telling an economical story. 

It's one of the reasons I've found Ted Lasso quite refreshing even though I'm pretty mixed on the show as a whole. At around 30 minutes an episode it's pretty much an anomaly nowadays but it rarely feels like it's wasting time. 

I mean, I actually rather liked the face cream episode but there's a section in the middle which could have been trimmed down immensely without affecting anything

Spoiler

The bits where the guy on the TV infomercial is talking to her. Good lord did those bits seem to go on and on and on. You just needed a minute of it at most to get the point, it wasn't exactly subtle or hard to understand.

5 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'd agree with a few other people that the episodes are way too long for what they are. Most of these stories should have been 30-45 minutes max.

It's a curse of the streaming age that average episode lengths seem to have increased across the board for no good reason. On broadcast TV it used to be that you generally got either 22 minute episodes for a 30 minute slot or 45 minute episodes for an hour slot. 

Now without those broadcast slot restrictions you just get episodes for everything pushing a full 60-70 minutes or more and it seems to breed a bit of laziness when it comes to telling an economical story. 

It's one of the reasons I've found Ted Lasso quite refreshing even though I'm pretty mixed on the show as a whole. At around 30 minutes an episode it's pretty much an anomaly nowadays but it rarely feels like it's wasting time. 

I mean, I actually rather liked the face cream episode but there's a section in the middle which could have been trimmed down immensely without affecting anything

Reveal hidden contents

The bits where the guy on the TV infomercial is talking to her. Good lord did those bits seem to go on and on and on. You just needed a minute of it at most to get the point, it wasn't exactly subtle or hard to understand.

Also why Mr Inbetween was so notable.

This first seasons has some true gems (The Autopsy, The Outside, The Viewing) but the rest is quite mediocre. It reminds me of someone telling a story and you're constantly waiting for the punchline that never arrives. I'm sure The Murmuring would make a great book, but on the telly its simply underwhelming. So much potential in terms of actors and sets, wasted on bad writing. 

I really liked The Murmuring. I was happy enough watching Essie Davis and Andrew Lincoln being a cute nerdy middle-aged couple. I ended up losing some patience with it when it slipped into some modern horror tropes.

Spoiler

The screaming mother floating down the hallway, crying child... showing far too much, plus I didn't care about the dead characters at all.

Bit of a mixed bag overall. Favourites were episodes 2, 3, 4 and 8. I hope there's a second series in future.

Thingmy’s Model was disappointing. It just didn’t build to that big final reveal that a Lovecraft story depends on. They let you see the monster was real far before the big finale!

Also felt like they had more story than there was space for and they cut the wrong things. The whole business about him being a shell-shocked recovering alcoholic in the later half was not dramatised enough.

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Are any of them actually worth watching? After Lot 36 and Pickman we binned this, are there any essentials?

Subjective, obviously, but I liked episodes 1-3 a lot - The Autopsy the most.

4 was weird but still worthwhile.

5 & 6 - the Lovecraft adaptations both looked great, but were disappointments.

7 is just a trip, really liked that one too, and 8 was the one I found the scariest due to the atmosphere - it felt more like one of the BBC’s “A Ghost Story for Christmas” tales, and was a more traditional story compared to the others.

I've enjoyed these well enough until The Viewing which I really struggled to get through, and then felt wasn't worth the effort at the conclusion. I'll probably continue because there's a chance that there could be another episode as good as The Autopsy but it's very hit and miss generally.

It’s funny how much tastes differ, but I thought The Viewing was the best one. I mean its style and influences are pushed to ridiculous lengths. It looks like a worn out VHS tape from the 80’s with brain fart dialogue and synth washes galore, but I love all that. 

On 07/11/2022 at 08:28, ZOK said:

Are any of them actually worth watching? After Lot 36 and Pickman we binned this, are there any essentials?

The Autopsy was fucking amazing. And you need to watch The Viewing, followed by Mandy if you liked it. 

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Assuming this did well enough to warrant a second series, which directors would people like to see taking on an episode? I'm sure Richard Stanley would be on a few wishlists but I'd like to see Jonathan Glazer taking on the genre.

Paul Verhoeven.