IGNORED

Retro Gamer 234

K

I've only just received the new issue and I'm still going through it, but I just wanted to post on here to say that the Paul Niemeyer (Bally / Midway artist who worked on Mortal Kombat) interview is absolutely wonderful - he seems incredibly warm and enthusiastic, and is full of great stories. Sometimes, you see interviewees who are clearly not that bothered on talking about stuff they did thirty years ago - Keith Warrington, Skool Daze artist interviewed in the same issue, isn't especially forthcoming - but Paul comes across as a lovely guy. His reaction to being shown bits of the film Tron is priceless. 

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

I did enjoy the E3 article to coincide with the not-E3 this year.

I put the issue on the floor and jumped into the pages like in Mary Poppins as I'll never get to visit it.

1 hour ago, K said:

I've only just received the new issue and I'm still going through it, but I just wanted to post on here to say that the Paul Niemeyer (Bally / Midway artist who worked on Mortal Kombat) interview is absolutely wonderful - he seems incredibly warm and enthusiastic, and is full of great stories. Sometimes, you see interviewees who are clearly not that bothered on talking about stuff they did thirty years ago - Keith Warrington, Skool Daze artist interviewed in the same issue, isn't especially forthcoming - but Paul comes across as a lovely guy. His reaction to being shown bits of the film Tron is priceless. 

I love how some interviewees come across like "Why would you want to know about this, it was some rubbish I did decades ago" and other are "This was something I worked decades ago, it's so amazing people still want to talk about it".

Another factor in interviews is some people just aren't very good at giving them. They might have all the good intentions and knowledge to back it up, but can't communicate themselves well enough, or don't think to say something, or waffle about something less interesting while passing over something more interesting.

That last point being where a skilled interviewer should pick up on things and coax more information out, of course, but yeah. Some people just aren't built for talking and storytelling, sadly.

6 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Another factor in interviews is some people just aren't very good at giving them. They might have all the good intentions and knowledge to back it up, but can't communicate themselves well enough, or don't think to say something, or waffle about something less interesting while passing over something more interesting.

That last point being where a skilled interviewer should pick up on things and coax more information out, of course, but yeah. Some people just aren't built for talking and storytelling, sadly.

In a previous job I had to do a fair few interviews via email and they would be so tough to make work because it was so hard teasing some information of them.

58 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

In a previous job I had to do a fair few interviews via email and they would be so tough to make work because it was so hard teasing some information of them.

I always find email interviews to be functional-but-basic - unless you're emailing someone who works as a writer. Then they get a bit carried away. Marc Laidlaw (ex-Valve) was always good value for an email interview.

Tying it back to Retro Gamer - you can find some of my interviews with Laidlaw - conducted via email - in past issues. SEAMLESS PROMOTION.

Cancelled my subscription last month and for some reason they've sent me this issue. Website clearly says May should've been my last issue. I don't want any more! Is this my life forever now?

6 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I love how some interviewees come across like "Why would you want to know about this, it was some rubbish I did decades ago" and other are "This was something I worked decades ago, it's so amazing people still want to talk about it".

Yeah, exactly. The interviewer is clearly having a laugh with the guy too; the feeling that they're having a good time really comes across in the piece.

Had to buy a copy of eBay as my sub had run out.

Looks a good one - Interested in next month's Top Lightgun Games feature too.

Any tips on a good subscription deal - no ftreebies, just cheap?

All the ones I've seen are like £50+ - I've never paid much over £40 I don't think

Links/Pointers appreciated  - PS. Want a physical copy rather than digital

Thanks, Andy

43 minutes ago, HOW said:

Had to buy a copy of eBay as my sub had run out.

Looks a good one - Interested in next month's Top Lightgun Games feature too.

Any tips on a good subscription deal - no ftreebies, just cheap?

All the ones I've seen are like £50+ - I've never paid much over £40 I don't think

Links/Pointers appreciated  - PS. Want a physical copy rather than digital

Thanks, Andy

They often do a deals but its £14 a quarter at the moment on the site

Nice to see Hunter get some recognition! It’s one of those ultra-influential games which has sunk into obscurity, well, because it unfortunately sold next to bugger-all.

(Only boxed copy I ever saw was in Makro in Poole years after the game was released. And the disks didn’t read in df0 of either Amiga I tried it in.)