Timmo

This won't be for the faint-hearted...

What moments left you reeling?

Three jump out to me.

First is from Bone Tomahawk.

Warning 1 - Fairly major spoiler

Warning 2 - Extreme content warning

Spoiler

All the more shocking because it comes at a moment where, whilst the film has had snippets of violence and suggestions of horror, nothing prepares you for this scene. Up until now it is much more of a Western than a Horror.

Next up is Sally4Ever. Again a content warning. Obviously.

Spoiler

Julia Davis is no stranger to taking things to extremes but I couldn't believe my eyes on this one...

For context Julia Davis' character is trying to worm herself into a film and has basically offered the director anything he wants.

It's how graphic it is and the fact that it has a small child in it that tips it over the edge for me. Took me days to stop thinking about it.

Lastly one that most will likely be familiar with, This is England.

Major spoiler warning.

Spoiler

This one stands out to me because I actually fell asleep just before this bit the first time I saw it (not a slight on the film, I was drunk), and waking up to this scene at its most intense REALLY upset me at the time. Damn.

The ending of The Borderlands (aka The Final Prayer) shit me right up

It's a bit of an over-used trope now (the most recent example I can think of is the Illumaniti bit in Dr Strange) but anything where a comfortably familiar style of cinema is interrupted by uncharacteristically brutal violence always really unsettles me. That scene in Bone Tomahawk, where a horror film basically invades a western, is probably the most shocking example. But this moment in The Other Guys really shocked me too:

Spoiler

They do such a good pastiche leading up to this moment that I fully expected Samuel L Jackson and the Rock to be in the whole film. And they leave the shot of them falling just the absolute right length of time to make the impact as jarring as possible. Even the framing of it is perfect, it makes you think there's something just off-camera which will be revealed and save them at the last minute.

I genuinely felt a bit sick after the first time I saw it.

I called the Lost one 30 seconds into the episode 

Spoiler

I couldn’t see past the beard

But I can see how that caught so many people out. It floored me anyway, but the impact was lessened. Otherwise I don’t have a reflex answer.

I think in Under the Skin, when 

Spoiler

the baby gets left on the beach after she watched the parents drown. 

It just chills me thinking about it.

Outside of movies and shows like GoT where you expect something like that to happen, I think one of the most shocking TV moments I can remember was Lisa Faulkner’s death in the first series of Spooks. She’d been kind of positioned as one of the lead characters so to see her killed pretty brutally, especially on primetime BBC One, was a real WTF moment. I couldn’t find a clip, but I did see that it generated the most complaints of any UK TV show in 2002.

Most shocking thing I've seen is from an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called The Flypaper. 

It's quite a simple story brilliantly executed.

Spoiler

A young, neglected schoolgirl goes about her school day in a coastal town. There's a child killer on the loose but her parents  don't seem that concerned. On a bus journey home she's hassled by a creepy old fucker and seemingly rescued by a kindly old lady. But all is not what it seems.

The ending of this will stay with me forever, it's just one of keep an utter despair. Absolutely jet black. The human mind can imagine fates far worse than can be depicted on screen and final shot in the episode with the realisation that will be no salvation for the school girl is just  shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqa0abn9Tb4&t=134s

Early one in Breaking Bad when  

Spoiler

Walter comes flying out of no where to run down the two guys looking to kill Jesse and the  he gets out the car and shoots one. 

When first saw that I was like "OMG!". Then one day my brother was watching that episode for the first time and I noticed that moment was coming up so had to stick around to see it again and watch his reaction. 'Xactly the the same as mine. 

Great call on Bone Tomahawk. 

One that sticks out for me is not necessarily horrifying or shocking, but was definitely a massive "what the hell?" moment. Many many years ago I bought the complete box set of Alias for a ridiculously low price. Think it was about £10 for all five seasons in a fancy box. I hadn't really heard much about the show, was definitely a Steam Sale sort of purchase where the price tempted me to do it.

I ended up binge-watching it and got quite invested. I hadn't seen the show when it originally aired and, again, didn't know much about it.

The main character of the show has a complicated relationship with her father. We never fully know his motivations and the show kept messing with this, sometimes he'd be a hero, sometimes he'd be extremely shifty etc. Our main character also had unanswered questions about her past that were one of the running themes of the show. 

Spoiler

At the end of season 3 she gets hold of some files that basically reveal everything. Her father was behind all of the things. He's been playing her this whole time etc. etc. And it ends on this massive revelation with her father coming in and saying "you were never meant to find those". 

Having purchased my nice chunky box set, I slammed in disc 1 of season 4 to find out the fall out from this game changing event.

Beginning of season 4, they show a recap of the season 3 ending and they had completely retconned it! The files do not say what they said previously. They reveal something far less interesting and the show goes in a completely different direction as a result. 

I was completely gobsmacked by this. I had never had a TV show do this to me before, and watching it in this binge format made it clang so hard because I was watching a "recap" of a scene I had JUST WATCHED and being told I had seen something completely different. 

Having read up on it now, the show runners and writers changed and I guess they weren't happy with that direction. At the time when I was not so forum/internet-savvy I was so fucking baffled by this. I'd be fascinated to know how this felt for people watching it on TV after waiting however long for the new season to come out. I wonder if a lot of people didn't even notice. Even having just watched it I was doubting myself whilst watching the retconned recap, so if it had been a year I could see them getting away with it completely. 

But yeah, one of the most jarring TV moments I've ever experienced. 

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

Outside of movies and shows like GoT where you expect something like that to happen, I think one of the most shocking TV moments I can remember was Lisa Faulkner’s death in the first series of Spooks. She’d been kind of positioned as one of the lead characters so to see her killed pretty brutally, especially on primetime BBC One, was a real WTF moment. I couldn’t find a clip, but I did see that it generated the most complaints of any UK TV show in 2002.

This may be the one I was thinking of in Spooks

Spoiler

someones hand was plunged into a deep fat fryer.

2 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

She actually gets her head plunged into the fryer. It's absolutely horrific, and it's unsurprising that it generated so many complaints.

13 minutes ago, Professor Rob said:

Hide contents

She actually gets her head plunged into the fryer. It's absolutely horrific, and it's unsurprising that it generated so many complaints.

Spoiler

It was both, and then he shot her in the head for good measure !

6 hours ago, mash said:

Most shocking thing I've seen is from an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called The Flypaper. 

It's quite a simple story brilliantly executed.

Reveal hidden contents

A young, neglected schoolgirl goes about her school day in a coastal town. There's a child killer on the loose but her parents  don't seem that concerned. On a bus journey home she's hassled by a creepy old fucker and seemingly rescued by a kindly old lady. But all is not what it seems.

The ending of this will stay with me forever, it's just one of keep an utter despair. Absolutely jet black. The human mind can imagine fates far worse than can be depicted on screen and final shot in the episode with the realisation that will be no salvation for the school girl is just  shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqa0abn9Tb4&t=134s

Totally agree, normally tales of unexpected is comfort tv so its even more shocking, very upsetting and as brilliant as it is i wish id never seen it.

7 hours ago, Jammy said:

Was it her who got her face deep fried?

4 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

Hide contents

And head.

And yes, it was her, and in the very first episode IIRC