IGNORED

Your most shocking moments in TV and film

Timmo

That bit in Seven, when the dead body is actually alive. Jesus that freaked me out the first time I saw it. And then just thinking about the whole situation afterwards. Just really really really horrible.

Yeah, was thinking about posting that.

I remember watching it i the living round a mates house.  When it happened, his wife (who was next door) stuck her head around the corner and said "Are you two OK?  It sounded like you'd spotted a burglar or something."

Watching the BBC Two documentary on the Falklands this week reminded me of the drama Tumbledown - the moment Robert Lawrence is shot in the head by a sniper was pretty graphic for the time (1990/1)

Audition

One of the first DivX encoded films I ever watched. I don't remember how I came across it, I just remember that I went in blind and immediately thought I was watching a romance/drama kind of thing. Little did I know....

In the film The Selfish Giant (look this up before clicking the spoiler cos it’s good and you should watch it if you haven’t, if you think it sounds appealing) when

Spoiler

The big lad gets electrocuted and is all charred

Like I can watch gore or whatever and not get squeamish in the slightest but that one was just so unexpected and left me just staring, aghast.

On 13/06/2022 at 12:22, gone fishin said:

Ghostwatch on the BBC was pretty shocking.

I mean it did generate something like 1,000,000 complaints, including kids with PTSD and some woman’s husband shat his pants. 

I was just telling my 13 year old about this yesterday, how it was billed as an actual live event and how in a time before the internet you went to bed that night thinking "WTF!!!!"

Also, no one mentions Danny's death in Grange Hill? What's wrong with you?

The ending of a Spaghetti Western

called The Great Silence. Tarantino was clearly a fan as he pays homage in both the Westerns he made. The ending was about as bleak as they come, I remember being in disbelief and absolutely loathing what had just transpired. I was about 13 when I’d seen it though and completely unprepared. 

That scene in The Woman in Black (1989 version). You know the one. Oh, you don't? Then watch it here. 

Spoiler

A very personal one: we used to watch a BBC police drama called Juliet Bravo and when I was about 8 or 9, I saw an episode called 'Flowers Tomorrow'. 

It was about a person who is wanted for murder, and the police catch up with him at an abandoned warehouse or something. They have him in custody and he's explaining how he's always lived in total, abject misery. He says (and I remember this as clear as day) that his dad tried growing things in the garden, and, "He always said there'll be flowers tomorrow... but there never were". 

Then he slips out of the grasp of the officers and dives out of the window, multiple storeys up, and it freeze frames on him breaking through as the police look on in horror whilst he plummets to his death. 

Just a horrible and profoundly bleak thing to try and process when you're a kid. 

I don't know if it would be classed as shocking but I remember it having a profound effect on me. The Boys from the Black Stuff, when social services come to take away Yozzer's kids. That has stayed with me since that one and only time I saw it, likely 40 years ago? 

Even before having kids, it still hits hard thinking about it, and now with kids, I do my utmost not to think about it. 

On 15/06/2022 at 12:52, barkbat said:

That bit in Seven, when the dead body is actually alive. Jesus that freaked me out the first time I saw it. And then just thinking about the whole situation afterwards. Just really really really horrible.

The cast were also told the body was dead. That's why the shock seems real when it wakes. 

On 14/06/2022 at 13:39, McFly said:

I remember an 80s kids program called "The Machine Gunners" iirc set in or just after WW2. Two kids fight and one smashes the others face in with a gas mask case or something similar, actually made me cry even though i was10 or so

Wow I had literally forgot entirely about that show despite watching it avidly as a kid.  It was set during WW2 & the main bit I remember now is the kids befriending a downed German pilot who is hiding out in an allotment I think.

32 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Wow I had literally forgot entirely about that show despite watching it avidly as a kid.  It was set during WW2 & the main bit I remember now is the kids befriending a downed German pilot who is hiding out in an allotment I think.

I still say this if I want to know what’s up…can’t help myself!

7 hours ago, Waggo said:

The main bit that I remember is that we read it in school in year 8 and someone had figured out that if you volunteered to read a certain character in a certain chapter you would get to say the word 'bastard'.

Not vaguely shocking by modern standards, but Star Trek TNG's Best of Both Worlds Part 1 seemed fairly dramatic when it was aired on BBC2 – Captain Picard in mortal danger and perhaps irreversibly altered, Riker installed as Captain, the Enterprise and crew possibly in mortal peril. A reset button was pressed by the end of Part 2, of course, but it did seem remarkable that the series writers were willing to raise the stakes for that two-parter story in a way that wasn't common for genre series of the time. It's superior spin-off series from a few years later did shocking events and twists far better, and with more permanence in terms of affecting storyline and character dynamics, of course.

Obviously, this isn't Bone Tomahawk levels, but that the final episode of "One Foot in the Grave" struck me as pretty bleak and shocking.

The end basically culminates with Victor Meldrew's wife being confronted with a confession from her new friend and the killer of her husband.  The implication being that Victor's wife poisons the woman who killed him out of revenge for his death.  Bonkers.

15 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It's superior spin-off series from a few years later did shocking events and twists far better, and with more permanence in terms of affecting storyline and character dynamics, of course.

Yes, Discovery really is a special show!

On 20/06/2022 at 18:50, Bucky said:

Obviously, this isn't Bone Tomahawk levels, but that the final episode of "One Foot in the Grave" struck me as pretty bleak and shocking.

The end basically culminates with Victor Meldrew's wife being confronted with a confession from her new friend and the killer of her husband.  The implication being that Victor's wife poisons the woman who killed him out of revenge for his death.  Bonkers.

Eh? Victor Meldrew doesn’t die. It’s a bait and switch at the end.