IGNORED

Cult of the Lamb - Binding of Isaac meets Don't Starve.

moosegrinder

Videos have been kicking around for a while but I'm so abysmally out of touch I'd missed this completely. There's a demo on Steam so I'm going to go and have a look at that, but this is ticking ALL my boxes from the trailer. BLURB!

Cult of the Lamb casts players in the role of a possessed lamb saved from annihilation by an ominous stranger and must repay their debt by building a loyal following in his name. Start your own cult in a land of false prophets, venturing out into diverse and mysterious regions to build a loyal community of woodland worshippers and spread your Word to become the one true cult.

BUILD YOUR FLOCK

Collect and use resources to build new structures, perform dark rituals to appease the gods, and give sermons to reinforce the faith of your flock.

DESTROY THE NON-BELIEVERS

Explore a sprawling, randomly generated world, fight off hordes of enemies and defeat rival cult leaders in order to absorb their power and assert your cult's dominance.

SPREAD YOUR WORD

Train your flock and embark on a quest to explore and discover the secrets of five mysterious regions. Cleanse the non-believers, spread enlightenment, and perform mystical rituals on the journey to become the mighty lamb god

• 1 month later...

Really looking forward to this. Out on the 11th August on just about everything.

I’m guessing it scales nicely so should run just as well on the Switch making for some good on the go fun.

• 2 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Ah fuck, it's £9 for the ARG code on Eneba. I feel entirely conflicted on the ARG/TUR code thing. On one hand the Yorkshireman in me is always pleased of a bargain. On the other hand I feel like a right shitheel for doing the devs out of a bigger cut of the sale.

I use that Eneba route for any big release I can.

For smaller indies like this, full whack.

Kinda my stance on it anyway.

Early but so far this is as good as I was hoping for. If I recall this is from the same team who made Adventure Pals which I'd highly recommend too.

Despite my earlier post I went for the PS5 version over the Switch. So far this seems to have been a good choice as there’s a lot of comments towards the Switch version being buggy with performance issues.  

So far this is very Binding of Isaac x Don’t Starve. Think there’s a tower defence element about to emerge too, if I recall the trailer. Love everything about it so far other than the camera angle which I wish was more overhead, i find it much harder to avoid horizontal attacks with the camera almost over the shoulder. 

I'm quite enjoying this. I'm slowly turning my cult into some sort of hellish factory where no-one sleeps or gets to die of old age. The gameplay loop is pretty compelling, whenever you come back from dungeon runs, lose or succeed, there'll be plenty of things to do at home and usually you'll have unlocked something new in the meantime. The dungeon crawling is a mixed bag very much inspired by the Binding of Isaac and to some extent Hades. Combat feedback is great, but there can be quite a bit of visual clutter (including the cardinal sin of occasionally hiding you behind background objects). Due to the game using 2D models on an isometric perspective, it can also be hard to judge bullet dodging and other attacks. And the roll is incredibly long for some reason which is annoying. Overall the dungeon crawling is decent though.

But the visuals are great, the game has a cohesive and compelling style, and the cult management is mostly fun. The upgrade system is large and there's tons to unlock, and the more new stuff you get, the more compelling both the dungeon crawling and the cult management becomes. 

Just don't get too attached to any of your cult members. They are, as you are reminded, a resource to be used. RIP the 47 year old deer lady who unfortunately *REDACTED*.

Well this is a bit of a delight isn't it. 

Only played a bit so far, but that gameplay loop is awesome and oh the fun I have had naming my followers after the current mainstays of the Tory party. 

Will make their sacrifice all that more satisfying and guilt free.  Bye bye Boris. 

I have enough Gold Points in the eShop to buy this, but I feel that may be better used for Pokémon ScaVio later this year. I just received my Steam Deck and it seems I should buy this for that platform as it can cross save with my Mac. 

BUT £8.50ish on Xbox is so tempting. 

• moosegrinder changed the title to Cult of the Lamb - Binding of Isaac meets Don't Starve.

Mooey (my cow follower) gave me a quest to feed a bowl of shit to Piggy (my pig follower) because he eats so fast he never looks what he's eating. I mean, I'd have taken a -35 faith hit if I didn't follow through with it. You're all with me guys, right? Stop looking at me like that.

Then Mooey died of old age so I harvested him for dinner, fed everyone and they all got sick and started rebelling. Koresh had it easy, this manning a cult lark is hard work!