IGNORED

An actual stone cold classic movie.

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I watched Out Of Sight last year, was really disappointed. No chance that's universally loved. I had high hopes and imagined Lopez and Clooney being trapped together for the duration of the film

The best Jennifer Lopez movie is Jersey Girl because her character dies giving birth in more or less the first scene.

I don't like Jennifer Lopez.  I may therefore be a little biased.

On 12/06/2022 at 16:59, Sidewaysbob said:

All right then. 

Spiderman into the spider-verse.. 

That is just fabulous from start to finish. It the best superhero movie of all time. 

4/5 from me. 

14 hours ago, sandman said:

Nope

12 hours ago, Chosty said:

I can't believe you missed the only possible correct response to this. You all know the one I'm talking about.

"You know when I said Commando was an actual, stone cold classic movie?  I LIED."

?

17 hours ago, womblingfree said:

The Empire Strikes Back.

Sci-fi for some people is still seen as a boys' thing.

They need to re-release it with Baby Yoda digitally inserted into every scene, then it'll have universal appeal.

There are classic 'Bank Holiday Monday' films which are great even if you've seen them a million times. I'm thinking of things like The Great Escape and Jason and the Argonauts.

Dial M for Murder. Hitchcock's classic is really Frederick Knott's classic as Hitchcock filmed it (in 3D!) exactly like the play it's based on. I've seen it live and it was pretty much like watching the movie being acted out.

It's a story that twists and turns as the audience realises that the bad guy, Tony, has prepared so brilliantly to have his wife murdered, that when things go wrong he's already got a contingency plan for it.  And if something goes wrong with the contingency for the contingency.... He's way ahead of you.

Tony, apparently unaware that his wife (Grace Kelly being hotter than the sun) has been having an affair with a crime writer called Mark. She (Margot) has received blackmail notes about the afair and even sent money to the blackmailer.  Tony, who doesn't suspect a thing, sends Margot and Mark to a restaurant, apologising for not being able to go himself, he has to work from home unexpectedly. But when they leave, Tony doesn't do any work ; he calls up a Captain Lesgett and invites him over on the pretence that he wants to buy the Captain's car.

As Lesgett arrives at the flat, 5 minutes into the movie, the w men recognise each other.  Tony has a long conversation where he gradually reveals that he's been following Lesgett for weeks. He has no interest in buying any car, but explains he knows that it's not Lesgett's car to sell, Lesgett is in fact CJ Swan, a fellow college student, a petty thief who has now graduated to be a conman, swindling rich old ladies from their money.  And during the conversation, Tony explains his marital problems, confirming that he knows all about Margot and Mark, and even showing the blackmail letters which it turns out Tony had written.  Tony accidentally drops the letters, which Swan picks up and now, with Swan's fingerprints on the letters, Tony is ready to Blackmail Swan.  Swan is to murder Margot while Tony takes Mark to a Stag Party the following night. And this is where it all begins. Swan refuses to take part and threatens to take this story to the police, and Tony has a perfect version of events that he can tell the police, implicating Swan as someone trying to blackmail Tony. Swan finds he has no choice and agrees to carry out the murder.  And this is the way the film progresses ; every time something goes wrong, or someone comes close to exposing Tony's plan, Tony switches to his backup plan.  He's come up with what appears to be a perfect murder (and there's a ropey remake of this film called A Perfect Murder) and he's thought of everything.  The film twists and turns and Tony's well spoken, smartly dressed exterior hides a master criminal who has apparently thought of everything.

The movie was originally made for 3D cinema and it's used as a showpiece on how to do it.  James Cameron apparently had everyone on the Avatar crew watch the 3D Blu-ray for education purposes.  

Anyway, I've seen it probably 50 times and think it's brilliant.

The Sting is my favourite film. It's pretty much perfect. Two absolute legends on top form - Paul Newman and Robert Redford. A cracking plot. Snappy dialogue. Great music Looks ace. It's glorious.

Aliens is fucking fantastic, but isn't as good as Alien. (Completely different genres, so unfair comparison, but if given the choice I'll take the first ). Terminator 2 is great, but nowhere near as good as the original (I'll watch the original every time it is aired on telly - the sequel - maybe if I've got nothing better to do)

Mad Max 2 is enjoyable but would be about 4 hours long if shown at the speed it was shot at. It's honestly so sped up it's daft. If it were any more obvious you'd have to assume it was a parody. I don't remember much about the original other than Max offering a guy the choice between cutting his own hand off or dying, and that appeals to the dark side of me, but the 2nd is definitely better for shifting it into a proper dystopia with a "salvage-chic" look about it. Fury Road is magnificent though.

As mentioned upthread, the closest you're going to get is either going to be something relatively bland so it's inoffensive to everyone; or something relatively niche so that only people likely to enjoy it will have seen it.

(like, The Thing is a masterpiece. It's also unsearchable for some of my friends because it's a horror movie)

Based on those assumptions I'd guess The Station Agent has a good chance of doing well thanks to being gentle enough to avoid upsetting people and niche enough that the audience who'd choose to watch it will mostly like it; similarly Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain might do pretty well for achieving that rare thing of being sweet, but sharp, and also popular but self-selecting of audience (because "it's French, innit"). Though I fear that sweetness might push it into schmaltz territory for some, so maybe not.

I'd have picked out JCVD as well, but I just know people will have watched it expecting a spectacle of brawling and come out disappointed.

On 13/06/2022 at 17:53, Stejay said:

The best Jennifer Lopez movie is Jersey Girl because her character dies giving birth in more or less the first scene.

I don't like Jennifer Lopez.  I may therefore be a little biased.

Jersey Girl is a great film.

2 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Jersey Girl is a great film.

It isn’t a stone cold classic, but it is indeed far, far better than reviews suggest.

Aside from Clerks II, I don’t think Kevin Smith has made a decent film since.

On 12/06/2022 at 20:06, Garwoofoo said:

I saw Jaws literally last weekend and, yeah, it’s fine. Dated a lot. If I’d seen it as a kid in the 70s it would have been the most amazing thing; nowadays not so much. 

I think you are quite mad. 

On 12/06/2022 at 15:32, Chadruharazzeb said:

In my experience the only film literally everyone likes is Back To The Future. Yes. 

In danger of drawing the entire forum's ire here but... I watched it for the first time recently, and thought it was just ok... I understand why people loved it at the time it was released, and who grew up watching it, though. It's also possible I overhyped it in my head before watching, the same happened with Indiana Jones.