IGNORED

Saturn Modding

Tomdominer

Hello.

Does anyone know how to Mod a Pal Saturn to 60Hz? Or could anyone give me a link to a web page that describes the technique?

I have already had one attempt. I found a guide (in French) on the Internet that described how to Mod a Model 1 Saturn (I think I have a model 1)

I carried this out on the poor Sega Breezeblock and it still works (just) but when I switch the switch the screen goes all jerky like it can’t find the V-Sync or something.

Please help me!

Doing it yourself without clear instructions or past experience will only hinder you my friend.

I got mine modded by Yod@, and i've l.e.d modded two dcs and my mega drive. I couldn't work out how to properly do the saturn so I got a pro on the job, it's the best bet, plus i'm to find out tonight that his work is spot-on no doubt.

Hello.

Does anyone know how to Mod a Pal Saturn to 60Hz? Or could anyone give me a link to a web page that describes the technique?

I have already had one attempt. I found a guide (in French) on the Internet that described how to Mod a Model 1 Saturn (I think I have a model 1)

I carried this out on the poor Sega Breezeblock and it still works (just) but when I switch the switch the screen goes all jerky like it can’t find the V-Sync or something.

Please help me!

The method I use is to lift pin 79 of the GFX chip, and switch it between either GND or +5 Volts. The GFX chip will be labelled either 315-5964, 315-5690 or 315-5890.

Sounds to me either like you've got a short somewhere, or else you've left the pin "floating" - i.e. connected neither to ground nor to 5 Volts...

got a pro on the job, it's the best bet

Well, I agree with you on principle but the prices kinda scare me.

www.ravengames.co.uk offer a Saturn Mod but the price is £44.99! That’s more than I paid for the console AND probably doesn't include shipping. If you could find me a pro mod offer of reasonable price and give me the web address I would be very grateful.

Yes there is, becuase that's the one i'm going to use. Yod@ only modded my machine for 50/60hz switching, to play imports I still have to use a boot-disc.

No, I did both mods!

It has a switch for UK/US/JP games as well as a switch for 50/60Hz. :(

EDIT: So what boot disc were you going to use, and where did you get it from?

There is no such thing as a boot disk that works for the Saturn. Simple as that.

Actually, that's not strictly true but you'd need to pick up 2 unburnt disks with the Saturn protection ring ready made - one for 3rd party games and one for 1st party games. Somehow I don't think it's viable since unburnt Saturn disks are worth quite a bit...

you've left the pin "floating" - i.e. connected neither to ground nor to 5 Volts...

That will be it. The guide never told me to ground the other connection. I just have a SPST switch connected.

If I order a SPDT toggle switch where do I place the ground wire?

I'm not that practised at all this. :)

No, I did both mods!

It has a switch for UK/US/JP games as well as a switch for 50/60Hz. :)

EDIT: So what boot disc were you going to use, and where did you get it from?

??????

Whoohoo!!!

:P

EDIT: Droo told me he was using a boot disc. Plus he didnt get back to me about the xmas nights and pds promo...I txted him on monday about it...

That will be it. The guide never told me to ground the other connection. I just have a SPST switch connected.

If I order a SPDT toggle switch where do I place the ground wire?

I'm not that practised at all this. :)

I normally take the +5 volts and the ground from the PSU conector on the board - from the 4/5 pins that are sticking up from the board. One of those is 5volts, and one or two of them are ground.

Sorry if this part insults your intelligence!: if you've got a SPDT switch, put ground on one side, +5 volts on the other side, and the wire coming from the chip goes to the middle pin of the switch.