IGNORED

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Team Ninja's take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Keyboard Koala

I went back to Elden Ring to compare it with this and it’s so, so slow.

Purposefully awkward enemy attack wind-ups aside, I was surprisingly good at it after being very shit at it before. I was also less stressed — previously a 20-30 minute session of ER was exhausting for me. 

With that Toastie boss, (the one you fight in the burning city):

Spoiler

What are you supposed to do in the second phase? There are those red pillar things you can climb on but whenever I tried to use them to get on his back, they disintegrated. 

I eventually ended up on his back but it felt more like a glitch and I feel like I beat him by accident. 

I too had similar difficulties. Not my favorite boss - I prefer humanoid bosses.  

Spoiler

I think I climbed up his arm in the end to reach the eye - but I timed out my first opportunity.

Played until I got to a big dog thing early on that I don't think I should have been fighting. Died. Probably won't go back. 

Something about it doesn't click for me. 

The difficulty in this is so uneven. Just did Tony the Tiger and he was easier than a lot of regular enemies.

Spoiler

The bit where he dies is hilariously bad. I wonder if it’s intended to be utterly ridiculous or if they think they’re telling a great story here?

On 09/03/2023 at 20:27, MardiganX said:

Also, at first I really couldn’t be arsed with the spells but as you progress they really do make even a completely melee focussed approach a lot stronger. Buffing attack / defence, buying you valuable seconds with some rock pillars, it’s a level of detail and customising that really gives you so much to play about with.

I can't remember exact names but I highly recommend using the one that acts as stone armour and the one that steals life as I use them a fair bit especially in boss battles and are probably the reason I've been surviving half this crazy shit! 😂 

The throw ice one is also handy to lure enemies if you're low on arrows, bolts and daggers. It also homes in accurately on moving targets 😎

Edited by Gavin
Tidy up!

Lu Bu down. In the end it was all about hitting the parries consistently and only letting him get back on his horse once. The final minute or so was bonkers with him countering my parry only to get his follow up parried as well 🥳

After using pommel sabre variants from the start I’ve now switched to dual swords and they are ripping everything to shreds. The side step martial art move they have has to be the best special move I’ve seen yet as it totally changes your position on an enemy sometimes putting you near their back with them not being able to adjust quick enough to stop you launching an unguarded follow up. 

Lu bu down as well. I just could never seen to do much damage to him. Even fatal strikes did little. And I couldn’t always get one of those in before he got back on horse. (3 remounts at about 50% hp was my best attempt) but I was getting loads of spirit I wasn’t using.

Gave up and hit him with rocks instead that actually did some damage and he was dead in 2 tries. 

Video

Spoiler

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't manage to take him out before he hopped on his horse again with only a sliver of health and I thought I'd have to knock him off again to kill him but I just walloped him once and that was it.

Had this on hold while I completed the Destiny campaign, and now it has hooked me like the Niohs did. Taking it slow and responding to plenty of requests for help. More people should give it a go, you don't need to be super good at the game.

It does highlight how many people are rushing through though. Often get summoned and then struggle to understand how they got to the boss raising almost zero flags. It makes such a huge difference. Even over-levelled they are significantly harder when your morale is that low.

What stats are people pumping up? I feel like I'm missing out not putting much into metal and water

20 minutes ago, pledge said:

Had this on hold while I completed the Destiny campaign, and now it has hooked me like the Niohs did. Taking it slow and responding to plenty of requests for help. More people should give it a go, you don't need to be super good at the game.

It does highlight how many people are rushing through though. Often get summoned and then struggle to understand how they got to the boss raising almost zero flags. It makes such a huge difference. Even over-levelled they are significantly harder when your morale is that low.

What stats are people pumping up? I feel like I'm missing out not putting much into metal and water

I think Wood and Metal are your easy mode because they give you a lot more health and more equip weight, meaning you can wear beefier armour, plus you get the health utility magic. That’s the route I’m on at the moment although I do keep switching it up. Being able to change freely is a great thing. 

The tougher bosses are best dealt with after you’ve changed your affinities to deal with specific threats. It’s great how flexible that is made for players. That made a huge difference with Lu Bu where more focus on building high spirit from deflect ended up wrecking him. 

Burning City boss down and ended up the easiest of all the bosses in the end.

Spoiler

Stood I’m front of him partying his slow critical attacks, hacked away at his feet, climbed up the crystal thighs for his second weak spot and then in phase 2 I just parried his critical attacks from the ground, which whipped me up onto his final weak spot. Job done.

Actually a nice change of pace with more of a puzzle approach after the twisted, sensory, overload that is Lu Bu. This game!

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This is a great addition to the masocore genre I reckon. Imo, Team Ninja are only second to the masters at From when it comes to this type of game. Went and ordered the steelbook edition. Simply too good to ignore.

Overall I'm happy with the changes they have made coming from Nioh 2, which was rather complex and daunting for new players especially.

What I'm most happy about is that Wizardry/Spells are an integral part of how you (should) play the game. You could probably brute force a melee only build but you'd be missing out on so much.

Stringing quick attack/stagger type spells into your normal combos works flawlessly and is clearly a design decision made to spice up the combat.

The fact the game gives you access to all the spells as you progressively level up, along with free re-specs, is a clear sign it wants you to try all the tools at your disposal.

That freedom of choice is what I love most about FromSouls and Team Ninja's games. :hat:

11 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Burning City boss down and ended up the easiest of all the bosses in the end.

Just did this bit too. Probably my favourite level so far.

Spoiler

When the second phase popped after some leg bashing I thought 'oh here we go the hard part', but then it was pretty much a single 'hit' to finish it off

I get killed a lot by just standard bandits with swords, is that normal? I’ll fight a group of three and lock onto one and then take a red attack off someone offscreen and die. Or walk along and get shot by some guy with a bow and die. Or I’ll just not notice a guy and then it’s red attack and dead again. It all seems very quick? 

I actually preferred fighting that first boss to fighting 3 normal bandits at once.

For groups try not to counter on the first opening you get. That will usually lead to one of the other enemies hitting you as you go for the first guy. Instead look to bait at least the second enemies attack before opening up your own response. 

Took out Dong Zhuo today. Needed to be harder. 

Last three bosses have been pretty crap.   Dong and Tony the Tiger had lots of potential but had small and predictable movesets and you fight them in their front rooms. 

2 hours ago, Alask said:

I get killed a lot by just standard bandits with swords, is that normal? I’ll fight a group of three and lock onto one and then take a red attack off someone offscreen and die. Or walk along and get shot by some guy with a bow and die. Or I’ll just not notice a guy and then it’s red attack and dead again. It all seems very quick? 

I actually preferred fighting that first boss to fighting 3 normal bandits at once.

Until you're used to dancing and deflecting around multiple foes, you should use projectiles to lure away the strongest of the bunch and deal with him 1 vs 1.

More often than not the level design will allow you an alternative approach. The early levels you can always find a way to jump from above and critical stab the one with the highest Valor. Killing him will make you stronger. That's how it works.

The Valor system is kinda genius. Sure you can go light equip and 'A' in Agility, which lets you run stupidly fast, and easily bee-line from spawn to boss door, bypassing every encounter in no time at all. But then you arrive with no Valor, which means you are nerfed to hell.

If you're good enough it might not matter, but the game wants you to explore, because the more flags you claim the more you increase your chances of success by levelling the playing field.

I see it alot in online coop when the host has 3 Valor and he's stood at the boss door. That boss will fuck him and me up with ease.

Now try the same level but the host has 20 Valor, then its a completely different story. As the game is meant to be played.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Took out Dong Zhuo today. Needed to be harder. 

Last three bosses have been pretty crap.   Dong and Tony the Tiger had lots of potential but had small and predictable movesets and you fight them in their front rooms. 

Yeah everything since Lu Bu has been a 1 or 2 shot

Except Side missions with 2-3 ‘bosses’ at once. They’ve been tough. 

Although one of the side missions feels like they mucked up on scaling (this is at recommended level) 

Those water demons feel like they’re too easy at every point in the game that I’ve encountered them. Which is a shame because they’ve got a really varied move set. I think it’s probably because they’re tough in a group but they’re just so easy to kite. 

Yeah the difficulty balance feels way off, I’m barely dying at all anymore. Still very enjoyable, though, and in keeping with their other games I’d expect the DLC to be much tougher. 

Had a great weekend responding to recruitment to get my level up and generally improve. One grateful chappy sent me a Xbox message saying "why bother joining lobbies when you are absolute garbage".

There's only a few niggles I have with the game at the moment. Why is offering health for morale boost on a grave the same button as loot?! The multiplayer sometimes has crazy lag, much worse than I ever had with Nioh. I've had a few times where I will join a game and it is seemingly running close to double the speed it is usually.