Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Team Ninja's take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Keyboard Koala

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

Is this harder than Sekiro?

Hard to judge entirely accurately from a demo but it feels closer to Nioh in terms of base combat difficulty to me. Those games could still be really challenging but weren’t as outright hard and mechanically demanding in a very binary way as Sekiro was (in my opinion).

As has been mentioned the parry window in this seems really tight but you have a lot of tools and moves at your disposal and seem able to deal some pretty hefty burst damage. There’s a definite rhythm of opening encounters with standard attacks to build your spirit meter and then unleashing the big flashy moves to finish off enemies. Still had my ass unceremoniously handed to me several times mind, so maybe it’ll be a lot harder as you progress.

There’s a hell of a lot to take in in terms of all the different gauges/spirit meters/Morale rating/Wizardy spells/Divine Beasts/weapon-swapping etc.

The lazy potted initial impression is that it’s a brighter palette Nioh with some influences taken from Sekiro but it’s going to take a while to plumb its depths I think. Something feels a bit heavy and clunky with the controls though. Can’t quite put my finger on it but it feels slightly off somehow. Team Ninja have good form with taking feedback from pre-release demos though so I expect the final release to tighten up any niggles.

Interested to see what fellow Nioh fans like @Curtis think.

No crashes on Series X here so far. 🤞 (edit: spoke too soon :doh:)

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

There’s a hell of a lot to take in in terms of all the different gauges/spirit meters/Morale rating/Wizardy spells/Divine Beasts/weapon-swapping etc.

You’re not wrong. Classic Japanese game dev ‘cram in everything you can possibly do in the game into a short tutorial, without any context or explanation of the jargon, and assume the player understood and remembered it all first time’. They need to stop with that shit. 

So after my first session I can no longer launch the game. Keeps hitting a network error and, because it requires an active connection to launch, just won’t. 

12 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Interested to see what fellow Nioh fans like @Curtis think.

I'm not sure if i like it. 🤔 Its very much like Sekiro, with its huge emphasis on deflecting, and the 'your turn/my turn' rhythm to the combat, which i don't enjoy at all.

I also think they should replace the Spirit Attack button with a regular Heavy that doesn't cost gauge. It seems kinda pointless when you have the Martial Arts which consume the same amount of spirit and are far more deadly to end your combo with.

I'll also echo what the entire internet is saying: the parry window is way too strict, and the healing takes way too long to respond and activate.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still gonna buy the full release, just to see what it has to offer with regards to different playstlyles. I pefer not to delve too deep into demos.

There's a chaos and clunkiness to it that I'm just not vibing with. It's hard to describe, but combat feels like a fast paced stutter. Sekiro can be lightning fast at times, but it still feels measured - the action in this just seems to happen without any of that measurement and visual aid so it feels like a chaotic mess at times.

Sure, you can see the bird swooping or rearing for an attack, but the animation and punch of it just seems off to me. Like I said there, maybe I'm just getting old and my reflexes are shot to shit.

Finished the demo and beat the boss (using dual swords his first phase can be pretty reliably stun-locked) and I’m kind of 50/50 on it.

It’s halfway-house approach of the lightning fast combos and flashy special attacks from Nioh combined with the demanding parry-heavy timing of Sekiro kind of left me feeling that it falls between the two stools without really nailing either of them. Something about the rigidly back-and-forth rhythm of the combat is a little off for my tastes.

It just doesn’t feel as smooth and engaging to play as Nioh and after the soaring glory of Elden Ring still lingering so fresh in the memory it was always going to suffer in the Japanese combat action game stakes a little.

It’s still very good because Team Ninja are a very talented team, but I’m not sure I’d buy it at full price. It’s a tremendous get for Game Pass on day one though so I’ll check it out when it hits that for sure.

Oh, I missed that it's on Game Pass. Guess I'll complete it anyway then.

It really does screw up some aspects though. Having dudes roll back mid combo before you use your heavy attack isn't challenging or devious, it just robs you of the satisfaction of landing a cool finisher. And it happens constantly.

Also, the parries feel off. I'm sure people can use them reliably, but the window's so tight that you can feel like you do it at the right time and in two separate instances you'll parry one time and get stabbed in the other. Then you try to recover with a parry mid combo and it just doesn't work.

Finally, the demo's really, really rough. My game crashed after killing the last boss. And about a dozen times beforehand. Then a few more times when I booted it back up. I died several times because the Xbox 'something went wrong' screen appeared over the top of everything and it doesn't pause for that - in fact, it seems to make your character walk right so I ambled off a nearby cliff. Where you can't recover Qi because it gets sucked into enemies now.

Eesh. It's not actively terrible, but it doesn't feel right to me either.

Yeah, played the demo just there and coming off the back of a good month being devoted to Sekiro this feels quite lethargic and bloated. It looks spectacular but that seems to be trying to make up for the combat not being anywhere near as tight as it should be. I know they will refine things before launch but feels like there it’s trying to do too much.

Also having parry on a different button from block is bad enough on its own, but then having the parry button double up as your dodge with it timing based whether you parry or dodge is just madness.

3 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Also having parry on a different button from block is bad enough on its own, but then having the parry button double up as your dodge with it timing based whether you parry or dodge is just madness.

I thought that too after accidentally evading for the one-millionth time. :facepalm:

They should definitely give you the option to map parry to the block/L1 button.

It’s almost like the thought ‘we can’t have block and parry on the same button, fuck no, that’s what Sekiro did’. Yeah they did that for a very good and vital reason!

It’s makes both the parry and dodge mechanics unreliable so it’s almost game breaking for me, especially when there will no doubt be enemies and bosses that require you to be very clever and consistent with the use of parry, dodge and block all together.

Yeah block being on one button and parry (or dodge) being on another feels punishing.

This wasn't on my radar, but will pay attention to previews/reviews going forward to see how it turns out