IGNORED

Nintendo arrogance alienates gamers?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Guest Penguin_Lad

Is it me, or is the Gamecube pad the most unsuited as a general control mechanism? Even the PS2 pad, with it's second rate analogue sticks, offers better overall functionality.

Why did Nintendo do this? If they wanted their console to be accessible to all, including children, why is it such a strange mishmash of a controller.

Were they looking towards the past "Glories" of the N64 pad, attempting to copy and upgrade some of it's features? Perhaps they reasoned that they didn't want to jump on the Sony bandwagon and be original. After all they "Invented" videogaming, along with the best pads (in the past).

Did such arrogance really hamper the Gamecube thus...

Guest Penguin_Lad
What's wrong with it. It's the only pad this gen that I sometimes forget I'm holding when playing.

Style and feel over overall functionality, I feel. Also the trigger button - strange. I couldn't play Moto GP or PGR2 on that I fear.

I find the gamecube pad the best of the 3 current gen. the worst has to be dc controller, why the fuck is the wire at the bottom?

This I agree with.

The Dreamcast pad is by far the worst pad I've ever used, and the only pad I've used that actually hurt my hands due to it's dreadful design.

I find all three of the current console pads to be fine.

Style and feel over overall functionality, I feel. Also the trigger button - strange. I couldn't play Moto GP or PGR2 on that I fear.

Lucky that you can't then.

Personally, I don't think the GC pad has anything to do with Nintendo's fall from grace (in the loosest possible terms before all the little girls start hyperventilating). It's quite good really. Not as good as the N64 pad, but then again, what is?

The pad is the best by a fair margin for comfort, except the buttons can sometimes get stuck, especially the b-button, but my y-button is now becoming a little stuck too. I'll have an attempt to clean it but I expect to be buying a new one.

If only it were the GC pads that was the problem with Nintendo...

Overall, I prefer the S-Pad to be honest. I don't like the GC button layout and the farce that is the Z button. Very comfy though and certainly the daddy for precision analogue gaming.

The pad is the best by a fair margin for comfort, except the buttons can sometimes get stuck, especially the b-button, but my y-button is now becoming a little stuck too. I'll have an attempt to clean it but I expect to be buying a new one.

I don't have any sticky buttons, maybe you should stop wanking over the controller. :(

Its the best controller ever, and the wavebird is even better.

I now wait for all multiformat releases on GC (currently waiting on PAL Beyond Good and Evil), because even if graphics are better on xbox (maybe) and release is earlier on PS2, I'd rather play every game with the wavebird if there is a choice.

The Dreamcast pad is by far the worst pad I've ever used, and the only pad I've used that actually hurt my hands due to it's dreadful design.

I don't agree with this either. I find the Dreamcast pad to be more than functional - it was innovative and was far ahead of it's time.

VMU's will be back in future consoles, with tft colour screens. I can see it coming.

The GC pad is bang on for the games on the Cube. Sits nicely in the hand, feels about right.

The only thing I'd miss would be the 'click' on each stick which is damned useful in FPS games for bringing up a scope, or ducking.

In my mind I have the 'perfect' joypad, and it's shaped pretty much like the CG one.

The shoulder 'click' is largely pointless now though, as no-one (that I can recall) has implemented it in games since Sunshine. It's the CG equivalent of the N64's 'left hand side'. Still, you've got to try these things.

The Wavebird, however, simply disgusts me, I wouldn't dirty my gaming experience with one.

One can only presume you haven't been playing your Cube much. Or that they tightened the pads up for Euro gamers.

I play it more than the next man (came in for loads of use recently with POP:SOT, BG+E, R:RE and Pacman Vs, Viewtiful Joe, FZeroGX and Soul Calibur 2 being played on it over the last 5-6 months or so). And I have a Jap/Us cube with a US spice controller and a US Wavebird as well.

The analogue stick on my Wavebird feels fine to this day.