IGNORED

Nintendo arrogance alienates gamers?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Compared to what? Without the Octagonal grooves Monkey Ball would be NOTHING but frustration. NOTHING I TELL YOU.

True, but they aren't useful in every game. Being able to do a nice rotation without clipping a corner is quite a benefit sometimes.

Same reason you wouldn't enjoy any peripheral that removed the 'sound' from games, or turned the picture black and white.

For me, the rumbling is an integral part of the modern gaming experience.

Fair enough. But rumble is only used well in a few games so I don't miss it much. However, I will be plugging the normal pad for MGS:TTS as the first game had genius use of the rumble feature.

Apart from the digi controller bit which is crap, but nobody uses it anyway. Wavebird = best controller ever.

I think the Gamecube pad is great, but why is the Wavebird better? it's the same shape exactly surely and it doesn't have rumble feature. The wireless is cool I suppose, but if you're anywhere within the viscinity of the TV i'm not sure why it matters if there's a wire there or not..

Guest Penguin_Lad
I'm trying to imagine what that would be like....

Not as good as on the GC pad, is what I'm thinking.

What I mean is that the control system would have been different...not all this strange re-learning of a control system.

However, what would the effect been on the game long term? It's certainly an interesting question. From what I've heard a few peopel were put off by it.

I think the Gamecube pad is great, but why is the Wavebird better? it's the same shape exactly surely and it doesn't have rumble feature. The wireless is cool I suppose, but if you're anywhere within the viscinity of the TV i'm not sure why it matters if there's a wire there or not..

Julia, you've obviously never used one then...

What I mean is that the control system would have been different...not all this strange re-learning of a control system.

However, what would the effect been on the game long term? It's certainly an interesting question. From what I've heard a few peopel were put off by it.

What re-learning of the control system?

They just decided to make the game more like Metriod than a bog standard FPS. The controls were perfect unless you were wanted to play another bog standard FPS, in which case you had purchased the wrong game.

The GC controller is much better than the horid PS2 pad, and better than the Dual Shock pad (yes, there is a notable difference). It's great, but too small for my hands which is irritating.

I also liked the DC pad loads, then again I like the Xbox pads. Bigger pads feel better to me.

Actually, I'd say the smaller Saturn pad is the best pad evar... mmm... if not the 6-button Megadrive pads. Fantastic...

"What I mean is that the control system would have been different...not all this strange re-learning of a control system."

Don't even go there.....

Metroid is more a first person platformer, jumper, shooter (i.e, Metroid!) than a "strict" FPS. There's no need for dual sticks in this game... at all. At all at all. No other first person game has such intuitive platforming sections... it's just fab.

Cube controller is my favourite, folled by the S. The sticks and buttons on the cube are the most responsive... I feel that the S buttons need a bit more "pressing" to register and the analogue triggers are tighter and can be a pain for long periods of racing....

My perfect pad has the feel and left analoge stick of the cube, a slightly higher up c-stick, a bigger b button,2 shoulder buttons and two triggers... I think.... oh.. and it'll be wireless as well.

I think it did, but you'd have had to get the stick so far to one side to notice it, the octagonal surround would never be noticed.

Precisely. In more ways than one. The GC's stick feel as if they have less room for movement than other pads.

Well, I think the GC pad is easily the most comfortable yet. The sticks are great, although the C stick could do with a hat IMO. The buttons confuse me a bit though. Z is a joke and the odd shapes and sizes of the others just doesn't compute. What possible, sensible reason?

My Wavebird is starting to scare me now. I've had so much use out of one set of batteries I'm starting to think someone is sneaking in and changing them. Really, it's unbelievable how long they've lasted. I can't stress that enough. Seriously. I'm amazed.

The controls were perfect unless you were wanted to play another bog standard FPS, in which case you had purchased the wrong game.

Or unless you wanted to side step without locking.

Or if you wanted to look around while walking.

Stuff like that.

Having to hold down different shoulder buttons to affect the function of the main stick is poor IMO.

Minor stuff really, but I just felt the MP controls restricted me somwhat. Especially when fighting a couple of pirates in the more confined spaces. Never mind, it didn't spoil the game.

As for pads.

Sheesh, I like them all. My only problem is with the PS2 sticks, when used for analogue control they're fine, but when mapped to digital control (eg PES3 or most of Midway Arcade Treasures), they are too difficult to use accurately.

I like the 'octoguide' on the GC pad. If it's not patented or something, the others should blatently rip this idea off.

A question.

Would Metroid have been better on an Xbox pad.

I would say no, I find the gamecube stick to be perfect for first person perspective.

controller S on xbox is ok and it's my second preference, but I think the GC-pad is best, and would be best, for metroid prime.

Would the control system have been any different?

The Xbox pad lends itself to FPSs much more than the GC pad I guess, but the control system used on the GC would fit just as easily on the Xbox pad. I don't think it would have been changed to a "two-sticks" control method. I think that the ABXY buttons on the Xbox pad wouldn't be quite so intuitive as on the GC for Metroid though. I loved hitting the big A button for shooting. The Xbox buttons seem too small by comparison.

Having said that, if MP had always been an Xbox exclusive, I don't suppose that bit would bother me. But I still think the MP control system would have stayed the same.

It's sad that a clear attempt at good design is seen as arrogance. Even if the GC pad was shit (and obviously I don't think that) I don't see how Nintendo could be accused of arrogance.

If the accusation is that the GC pad is a means of bending developers to Nintendo's will, then it's naiveity that we're looking at, not arrogance. If that's the accusation that's being levelled that is.

You mean unnecessary stuff that only control freaks want to do to feel more 'free'?

Yeah... whoop. :(

As I wander the hills and dales of our great nation, this scepted isle, set in a silver sea, encountering all the bounty that the Garden of England has to offer, I always think to myself:

'What a fucking control freak I am.'