IGNORED

Nintendo arrogance alienates gamers?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Old Chestnuts. Where's Campbell's Friendly Help For Fucking Idiots when you need it?

1. The Z-trigger is basically a select button. Just because it's got the same name as the trigger button on the N64 doesn't mean it should be used the same. All first party Nintendo games have understood this, as have most GC specific third party ones. It's mostly the lazy all-platform ports (THPS, Timeshitters 2) that try and use it in the wrong way.

2. Prime would have been a completely different game without the control system it had. Rather than attacking Prime or attacking the GC's pad, why don't you just go and hypothesise about a similar game on the X-Box with your beloved dual-stick control, lots more shooting, and going in and out of the menus every two seconds to change weapons.

3. It was Nintendo's plan to design a simple controller to force developers to keep the game controls simple. Call this arrogance if you want, but I think it's a damn good idea, and it keeps gaming accessible to all.

Cloney

The N64 pad was as close to perfect as I have seen. I don't know why Nintendo changed it for the GC. They made a lot of fuss over the GC controller and everybody was expecting the 2nd coming and we got a very average pad IMO. Change for changes sake, a stupid idea. I DO love the wavebird though, even if it is a bit cumbersome last time.

The DC pad is by far the worst pad of all time, closely followed by the original x-box pad. I got one out the other day to play some 4 player crash nitro cart. It is just terrible, fuck knows how i completed the likes of halo with it.

Also, I don't like trigger buttons like those on the dc and xbox pad - they hurt my fingers after an hour of PGR or MSR.

So, my fave pad of this generation is ps2 ( i'm just so used to it - i never have to think about where a button is, followed by the GC and then the controller s for xbox ).

Same reason you wouldn't enjoy any peripheral that removed the 'sound' from games, or turned the picture black and white.

For me, the rumbling is an integral part of the modern gaming experience.

Lets face it though, the rumble on the offical GC pad (not sure about 3rd party ones though, since I've never tried any) is a bit wank. It's weedy, one note and might as well not be there for most games, hence me using my WB even if I'm right next to my Cube.

its amazing. after playing the cube for a year i decided to go and complete majoras mask. i picked up the pad and just thought it looked soooo , old, dated, inferior. the cubes pad is brilliant. and as i said before, i don't know how the hell they will better it.

I think the Gamecube pad is great, but why is the Wavebird better? it's the same shape exactly surely and it doesn't have rumble feature. The wireless is cool I suppose, but if you're anywhere within the viscinity of the TV i'm not sure why it matters if there's a wire there or not..

First of all, the lack of wire means you have less 'drag' and can move the pad around more freely.

Secondly, the big bulky bit under the middle stops your thumb from slipping through the little gap and makes the D-pad easier to use.

And finally, it being a bit heavier makes it feel more... solid.

And I love it!

'Good enough' = functional.

Functional = perfect.

Good enough = I could complete the game

Perfect = I could complete the game, and do a few other things I'd have liked to do.

Please understand, I'm not saying they're crap or anything. They just don't offer me the freedom I'd like when fighting 3 pirates in a lab with narrow gangways and other such obstructions.

Good enough = I could complete the game

Perfect = I could complete the game, and do a few other things I'd have liked to do.

Please understand, I'm not saying they're crap or anything. They just don't offer me the freedom I'd like when fighting 3 pirates in a lab with narrow gangways and other such obstructions.

Then you've confirmed my suspisions, you do want unecessary freedom for the sake of it.

Prime's controls work perfectly 99% of the time. Nothing else matters. Really.

If you'd like to discuss which areas of Metroid Prime's controls fail to achieve the required actions, then please, go ahead.

Fair enough.

At least you've got the decency to ask.

Okay.

A minor one: Being able to look freely while walking. For such a beautiful game, it was painful to have to hold down L (or R, can't quite remember) to look around. Especially if I then decided I needed a slightly different position, so I'd have to release L, then hold down R to sidestep, then back to the L for looking etc..

It just made looking around a real effort. Which was a shame, as it is a wonderful looking game.

A more important one: Combat. When in a room full of pirates, especially when the game got a bit harder, avoiding lazer fire whilst keeping your eye on the pirates is obviously a good idea. Locking on isn't always ideal as maybe you would lose sight of one or two of them. But if you're not locking on, you can't side step. Without being able to sidestep, traversing a room full of tables, boxes etc.. whilst avoiding gun fire and keeping an eye on the bad guys suddenly becomes more taxing than it should be.

The reason this wasn't more of a problem is that the pirates laser fire is reasonably inneffective, especially when you've collected a reasonable amount of energy tanks

Another minor one. I want to shoot a distant / fast flying pirate. So I lock on and shoot. Of course, the pirate is moving so my shots miss. Alternate? Look mode, but I can't then move. So the pirate can shoot at me without me being able to both shoot at him and avoid his bullets at the same time.

As a result of these last few, I found the combat to be quite a clumsy affair, and sometimes mildly frustrating.

I'm not a big fan of 'modal' controls either, but there is no getting around that sometimes.

For all the fanboy and troll accusations, I hope you'll see that these are genuine reasons for not saying the control system is perfect. I'm not just saying it to have a go, there were genuinely times where I was craving twinstick controls. Also, holding down L to look didn't come as second nature to me until well late into the game.

Overall, the controls are adequate. But there is no doubt that they are restrictive, although not to the extent of ruining the game. But they're certainly not perfect.

And please please, understand, I'm not saying either the controls or the game are crap.

Ok, you have your twin sticks control system.

Now, tell me what the other buttons do. (Just, so I can imagine playing it with your better ideal.)

If I remember rightly, I didn't once say that the GC pad could offer a better alternative.

So, do you have a point at all? Or are you just waffling?