Neon White - First Purgatory Shooter - PS4/PS5 Release 13th December!

Siri

I'm already almost at the end, but of course according to the game have only done half the content (including getting all the golds/Aces). The last few missions are really tough, but satisfying. I was also worried about the card switching being a pain, but I've only had to do it literally once so far to progress. It may be that to get super high scores you may need to switch cards for new strategies, but like Spatular says they give you the tool you need when you need it.

Anyway its very elegantly designed combined with the excellent level layouts. Its testament to the game's quality that over 90 levels in, there've only been a handful where I've struggled to see where to go, or had to wonder what to do next. Its all so intuitive.

A warning to Switch players - I have been playing docked with the official Switch Pro controller for most of the game, but today I tried playing in handheld with the joycons attached. It became much harder on the later levels as there's a lot more quick aiming involved. You can do it but its much slower with the clunky joycon joysticks compared to the controller. Gyro may be the way to go if you are going Joycons, or at least accept its going to be more difficult to get those golds and Aces on the later levels.

I’ve found it fine with joycons, and done a reasonable number of golds and aces with them. 

I’ve mostly played this using the Pro though, and one thing I don’t like is that my thumbs seem slip off the tops of the sticks, or slide to a bad position…a real issue in a game where you need to be pushing forward constantly, and to readjust thumb position costs you valuable milliseconds. That doesn’t happen with the joycons, I guess because of the shorter sticks and ridges.

On 20/06/2022 at 14:35, Alan Stock said:

Oops sorry, I had a typo in there. I'll edit the original post but the correct number is:

SW-7377-5880-4015

Sent a request, username is Duffy if you were wondering where a strange request came from

20 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Not sure how far down the score hole I'll go, but added a few Switch people from here (my username is sunvsmoon).

Invite accepted!

I’ve found a bug in this (on Switch) and it’s pissed me off. If you go into sleep mode and then resume the game, it seems to cause an error that means you can’t load scores because it can’t connect to the leaderboards. What also happens is that none of your scores submit (naturally). 

In order to reconnect to the boards you have to close the game and reboot. Well, that’s no big deal. However, when you reconnect, any of your scores that you got while you weren’t connected don’t subsequently upload, it just says ‘no score submitted’. Even though you have a score right there on the screen. :angry:

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

I’ve found a bug in this (on Switch) and it’s pissed me off. If you go into sleep mode and then resume the game, it seems to cause an error that means you can’t load scores because it can’t connect to the leaderboards. What also happens is that none of your scores submit (naturally). 

In order to reconnect to the boards you have to close the game and reboot. Well, that’s no big deal. However, when you reconnect, any of your scores that you got while you weren’t connected don’t subsequently upload, it just says ‘no score submitted’. Even though you have a score right there on the screen. :angry:

Oh no! I wondered what had happened here - leaderboards show my old, first try times, not the much faster times I’ve done since. Maybe they were when I’d been in sleep mode.

Only bug ive seen on pc is the right trigger stops working properly, think alt-tabbing out of the game caused that though.

finished it earlier, overall thought it was really good. When you get in the flow and are zipping around the level its great. Like Alan Stock says above saw a few levels near the end where you have to switch cards, but it wasnt too bad/confusing. Got mostly gold times, need 14 more but theyre the harder ones at the end. Barely collected any presents, so went back to the start to collect more presents and try to get some ace medals. about 15 hours on the clock at the end.

not big spoilers but about possible multiple endings

Spoiler

Didnt get to chose the ending because i think you need more presents, and maybe other stuff i didnt do. Not sure if the game will let me collect the stuff i need and get a better (?) ending, but im not restarting it anyway. Not like the ending was bad, there was an ending, but if youve done more stuff theres an option to do something different at the end is all.

Just finished Mission 9, thankfully got enough gold medals to start Mission 10.

Game's starting to get either super tricky or throw out levels that feel like a Rube Goldberg Machine.

I still love it, though, thanks to instant restarts and how responsive everything is. I think I've had one instance in levels where I get guaranteed slowdown on the deck, and I think it's because of the sheer amount of shit you're triggering and rendering at the same time.

I can see myself replaying missions for Aces if it does turn out to be a game with multiple endings - of course, I already am doing that because of how the game works and everything's instant. It's brilliant.

Difficult to hint at this spoiler (it's not narrative related), but... 

Spoiler

Has anyone else picked up some of the red medals? I think each level must have a hidden time below the Ace medal criteria. I've got about four or so. You get a little angel stamp to tell you the time when you've broken it, but the game doesn't appear to directly refer to them in any way..? 

39 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Difficult to hint at this spoiler (it's not narrative related), but... 

Hide contents

Has anyone else picked up some of the red medals? I think each level must have a hidden time below the Ace medal criteria. I've got about four or so. You get a little angel stamp to tell you the time when you've broken it, but the game doesn't appear to directly refer to them in any way..? 

yeah i got one of those also don't know what they're for.

finding it pretty fun going back and getting the parcels, when you can see them pretty easily and have to work out how to get there. Dont like the hidden ones though, been skipping those.

Chapter 11 spoilers:

Spoiler

Good fucking lord, the Book of Life card is a fantastic 'hey it's the end of the game, go nuts' ability.

Yeah lemme just telefrag to everything, feels good man

I 'finished' the game the other day, by which I mean I hit the end credits. Of course I still had about 50 aces to get plus I have about 30 levels still to unlock. But the worst decision of all was to leave finding all the gifts until the end. Like @spatular says, the hidden ones are a complete nightmare especially in levels where you have a huge space to explore, like ones with the rocket launcher where you can get almost anywhere. I spent about an hour on one level with rockets going up every skyscraper thinking it was big brain of them to make you save every possible rocket, only to find it was hidden somewhere else. Yes, maybe I should have been more thorough before going well out of the way - but when there's no hint where they could be, its easy to waste tons of time on them. Far better is where you can see them and then its a puzzle to figure out how to get there. Now I face the prospect of having to find gifts on 80+ levels which is not going to be very fun!

Anyway, I have been going through getting a ton of Aces, some of which require the using the shortcuts (the ones highlighted by the hints you unlock). Often these are quite ingenious and even knowing where the shortcut is still requires you to re-imagine the route leading up to it. This is because often you need to save a card you would normally use, or get to a new place and so it becomes a puzzle in itself in how to save the card you need, or how to get to the start of the shortcut.

@Jolly I don't believe there are special times above Ace (which is the angel icon you mention). The reason I'm confident in this is that I have been in the top 20 on the global leaderboard on a few levels and still in the Ace time bracket. What I think you might have uncovered is this:

Spoiler

There are 'memory coins', around 8 or something in total. I found one randomly in a level and you can use them at the Beach in the map to see a memory. As one of the final choices in the narrative has a dialogue option locked behind 'X memories needed' it seems likely that to get another ending you need to find them all. Unfortunately I can't remember which level I found the coin in, and I can't see any mention of it when I scroll through the archives list. So as to how you can discover which levels have them in, I have no idea. Maybe there's something that you unlock to help track them down that I haven't acquired yet.

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

@Jolly I don't believe there are special times above Ace (which is the angel icon you mention). The reason I'm confident in this is that I have been in the top 20 on the global leaderboard on a few levels and still in the Ace time bracket. What I think you might have uncovered is this:

Hide contents

There are 'memory coins', around 8 or something in total. I found one randomly in a level and you can use them at the Beach in the map to see a memory. As one of the final choices in the narrative has a dialogue option locked behind 'X memories needed' it seems likely that to get another ending you need to find them all. Unfortunately I can't remember which level I found the coin in, and I can't see any mention of it when I scroll through the archives list. So as to how you can discover which levels have them in, I have no idea. Maybe there's something that you unlock to help track them down that I haven't acquired yet.

Spoiler

Those show as Green gifts on the level select.

Finally reached the end credits after a forced break from the game.

The final sequence of missions is fantastic, although I am absolutely going to shit the bed regarding finding the gifts in each mission - as mentioned, they start to get very sprawling when the later levels gives you the tools to cover a lot of distance very quickly.

It's still a superb game, though.

EDIT: halfway through chapter 5 with clearing all the missions out now, with the exception of the first Green mission because they're long missions.

Regarding 'Hellevator':

Spoiler

Idiot Island image.png.2ac70435ddc35f469bd9317456519701.png

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away at this and it pains me to say that I'm not enjoying the latter levels anywhere near as much as I did the earlier ones. I'm finding 'the route' becomes less clear as the levels become more complicated and it all just gets a bit frustrating.

I found the game at its best when I felt like I was skillfully pirouetting from A to B. Not when I was struggling to figure out where the hell B was.

Those first 6 or 7 groups of levels are totally blinding though and completely worth the price of entry. My heart is just sinking each time I start a new map and see there's 70 demons rather than, like, 10.

• Siri changed the title to Neon White - First Purgatory Shooter - PS4/PS5 Release 13th December!

Coming to PS4/PS5 on the 13th December.

Also features in Paste Magazine's Top 30 games of 2022.

I did end up finishing the game ages back, but I do need to sit down and get Ace medals and presents in every level. The present locations got a bit tedious when you get to the rocket launcher stages though, because there's no much distance you can travel when that weapon becomes a thing.