IGNORED

Neon White - First Purgatory Shooter

Siri

Game's out today, and reviews have dropped overnight.

Steam Page - £19.99, £17.99 at launch

eShop - £19.99, ty @Jamie John (idk lol)

OpenCritic

TL;DW: It's a speedrun focused FPS where you sacrifice firepower for abilities like double-jumps and grapple hooks via a card system.

It's also Persona levels of anime cringe, but the game's too much fun to give a shit about that. Already tried, tested and loved by a lot of people who played the time-limited demo at Steam digital events (disclaimer - that includes me).

I'll be back with my own thoughts when it unlocks here, but if it's anything like the demo, it'll be great and will end up in plenty of GOTY lists.

I'm absolutely all over this. 

Took tomorrow off to enjoy the weather. Reckon there's a strong chance I'll spend most the day indoors. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

The reviews are all pretty strong. I'll be interested to hear how well it runs on Switch as there's a lot going on at once.

60fps, apparently.

Even with a lot going on and a lot of stylisation, it's still fairly low-poly. The Steam Fest demo ran a treat on a 2400g APU. On Linux, an OS that it's not designed for.

9 minutes ago, Siri said:

60fps, apparently.

Even with a lot going on and a lot of stylisation, it's still fairly low-poly. The Steam Fest demo ran a treat on a 2400g APU. On Linux, an OS that it's not designed for.

Excellent. I reckon this'll pop on the OLED 👍

58 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I feel like there are a lot of indie, and particularly weeb games that end up on PC and switch, skipping out PS/Xbox, and that frustrates me. 

What’s a weeb, or should I not ask?

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I feel like there are a lot of indie, and particularly weeb games that end up on PC and switch, skipping out PS/Xbox, and that frustrates me. 

Buy a switch . Problem solved .

It's just indie devs with limited resources prioritising the places they'll probably sell best.

Knowing my luck I'll buy it for Switch and it'll be on Game Pass before i've had chance to play it.

This is one of those games that is going to make several people here realise how old they are when they finish a level, think 'pretty fast, still got it' and then they check the leaderboards.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Having just played, and really enjoyed, Ghostrunner, I'm willing to play this on PC, and I never really play anything on PC.

But I'm not used to buying games and thanks to @Jamie John, I'm not allowed to buy another game until July.

You can still play it! It's twelve games for the year now, not one game per month. I'm tempted by it myself.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

This is one of those games that is going to make several people here realise how old they are when they finish a level, think 'pretty fast, still got it' and then they check the leaderboards.

Thankfully, the game has a ranking system on your overall performance for a level, so you'll immediately know that you're awful before checking the leaderboards!

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

You can still play it! It's twelve games for the year now, not one game per month. I'm tempted by it myself.

I think there's a sale soon and I'm playing Forbidden West at the mo, so have popped it on my wishlist and will pick it up in a sale, I think.

Alright, clocked a couple hours into it and just finished the third set of missions. From looking at the achievements, I'm presuming there's 10 and 2 extra (and 10 levels in each, so about 120 levels).

First off, game is still the same as last year. Looks great, Great soundtrack, airtight gameplay. Anime bullshit plot, but there's a couple lines that's given me a chuckle.

One nice thing is that, in the full game, they've added extra rewards for the medals - notably, in the gold rank, it'll unlock markers in the level that you can hunt at your own pace that are the most notable shortcuts to get the Ace Medal.

Also, to save bang average players' blushes, you can't even see the leaderboard until you get an Ace Medal.

Last year's demo ended at about the middle of the second mission, so it's now at the point where it's new content and it's already quite spicy in terms of execution requirements. But when you nail everything right it feels fantastic (only to find out there was a shortcut you completely missed while watching the player ghost). I think the trick is they've put all the important controls on the bumpers and the triggers, so you're never taking fingers off the sticks to do things. Well, outside of mashing select (the instant restart button)

Oh, and runs like a dream on the Deck, which is nice.

In all, great! I already knew that, though.

I'm loving the actual running, but I'm finding the chatting pretty tedious. It's super stylish and quite funny, but it all goes on for way too long (which is exactly how I felt about Donut County as it happens).

Looking forward to getting a lot of that part behind me, so I can just concentrate on the forward momentum. 

Spent some time before bed to clean up some of the Ace Medals and Gifts in previous chapters.

I'm getting to a point where I can 'nade jump while running to keep momentum. The introductory level where it introduces the discard grenade goes from a stop-start level to something that can be done in one fluid motion with shortcuts to actually get the Ace, it's so satisfying to nail it.

Also, the inspirations from Jumping Flash really start to show in the third chapter when it starts playing with verticality and bouncing on demon heads.

More this afternoon, please!

During the recent Microsoft Xbox thing I was watching with a couple of mates and that new olden timey Obsidian RPG thingy all the games press were talking up came on. My mate turned around and went "well this is the least Mike (me) game ever, then..." To be fair I had spent the whole conference saying "ugh, one of your nerd games" every time anything vaguely tactical came on screen so it was all good. We're both in our thirties. 

Anyway my first thought on loading this is the polar opposite of that sentence. It's the first time it's happened since Rllmuk game of the year winner Returnal last year. Before that it was Bloodborne. I've liked loads of games more than both those examples but it's just that feeling in the first five minutes of playing of "oh yes this was made precisely for me and me alone." For some (boring nerds) it's games that engage your brain tactically, for some it's the thrill of going up against others online. For me? For me it's that feeling when you know a game is both absolutely razor sharp pin precise in its controls and it then uses those systems to ask a lot of a player. It just kicks adrenaline around my system like nothing else. 

I spent years on the train home from work playing shitty knockoffs of Super Meat Boy on my phone. The touch controls were awful obviously but there was something about just replaying the same fifteen seconds over and over trying to get that little bit better as I went that really made the trip from Waterloo to Whitton fly by daily. This is that but... well but good! I only started it last night and have now got Ace on the first two sets of missions and a few top 10's/20's globally in there to go with it. It's great, it's made for me and I can't wait to play more.

Oh but @Jolly is 100% right the script is absolutely god awful from what I've seen. And there's far too much of it. And the female characters are terribly written and sixteen cats ice skating on chalk boards irritating. I'm basically treating it as an MGS VR missions pack and skipping every single ounce of it to get to the good stuff. 

Add me on switch! Lets compare times! SW- 1968-9460-6885

Oh man, highest of fives @BitterToad

I ignored pushing the story forward and just went back aiming for a couple of the Ace medals last night and the came just came alive. There was one were the aim was 12 seconds and I spent a fantastic twenty minutes gradually shaving it down from 13 seconds until I finally got 11.99 😁 

It's extremely good. Probably the second best game I've played this year. I'm the kind of guy who can't chill out and sit down for five fucking minutes so this kind of in-your-face, high-on-blue-food-colouring, condensed madness is riiiiight up my street. 

My Switch code is SW-8315-4973-6987 if anyone wants to get involved. 

It's a shame more people aren't jumping (ho ho) on this. It's absolutely sublime and I've basically given up my weekend to it. I will attempt to spell out why the game is special and why if you own a Switch or a PC and like jumping and running (not necessarily in that order) you're missing out on what could be a real classic.

1. It is not a card game!
When I saw the initial trailers for this it looked like exactly my sort of frantic fun platforming thing with a horrible boring card game bolted onto it. Ugh, I thought, card games are for stupid Hearthstone loving nerds and I'm an awesome Returnal loving... well, nerd. It's a shame this game won't be for me! Don't be fooled by the cards. There's no rogueliking or rogueliting, no deck building, nothing of the sort. The cards are just pickups dotted around each brilliantly designed level. They don't persist between levels, you're never building a deck, they're literally just pickups you use on that run then everything resets. In fact a way of making Neon White more marketable to cardphobes like me is to not call them cards at all but... are you ready for this one..? They should have called them guns. 

2. It's a gun game!? That sounds much better than stupid boring cards! How does it work?

Thanks for asking! Each gun comes with a primary "shooting" function; pistol, smg, whatever else and a secondary function which discards the gun and normally aids your platforming somehow. There's a pistol that lets you double jump, a single fire rifle that lets you zip across levels, an SMG that lets you slam down onto bastards' heads. The meat of the experience comes in using these abilities across (and I may have already said this) superbly pixel perfectly designed platforming challenges to get to the end goal whilst killing everything as quickly as possible. You'll jump off a roof, pop a couple of bastards with your pistol, throw it away to double jump over the gap to their bodies, grab the rifle/dash gun they've left behind, pop another bastard in the distance with that, throw it away to dash to their body which is floating in midair and contains an SMG pickup, grab that, shoot bastards, discard SMG to slam down on bastards, run run run shoot shoot shoot jump jump jump quicker quicker quicker. The genius is that all of the levels are less than a minute long and you're making these split second decisions that feel second nature after about five minutes of playing. It sort of feels like injecting Mirrors Edge. And the adrenaline from rerunning a level ten times to beat one of my times is what lead to me writing all this guff. Talking of beating times...

3. It'll make you feel like a speed runner thanks to its brilliant structure!

I've always loved the idea of speed running games but am absolutely baffled when I watch the real genius' do it. How do they find their lines? How do they work out the fastest way without spending a thousand hours playing? Well, the answer is they don't. But do you want that feeling gamified perfectly without the ten thousand hours side of things? Try Neon White! Every time you play a level for the first time it's just you in the space. They're all fantastically designed so that each feels like a clever linear experience that's brilliant fun to zip around and get a medal on. And it's the medals where things get really interesting. Finish a level with a bronze medal? Well done, now back to it buddy and beat your time. No change from normal there. Silver? Excellent work, you've now unlocked your ghost on that stage so that you can see where you're running faster/slower as you go. Once you've got gold though? Well now you're in the endgame... Each level will have a secondary route that will shave 5-10 seconds (or sometimes more) off your time and the genius of Neon White is that once you get a gold medal and feel like you've truly mastered it, the game shows you those routes! A little marker appears in this level you've totally mastered and says "hey, why not come this way and really ace it?" Sometimes you'll spot them on first run and feel like a real clever clogs but more often than not it's just another way of opening up these brilliant spaces and letting you shave more time off in order to get that illusive final "Ace" medal. And once you've got that? Only then do you get the global leaderboards opened up. You have to have truly and genuinely mastered a level in order to go up against the best. You can't see how much better than you American teenagers are until you've already had lots of lovely dopamine getting better and better!

4. There are friends leaderboards and they're awesome too!

While you have to be a real genius athlete like me to open up the global leaderboards, friend leaderboards are there from the start. They work in both a "oh great a human I can try and beat that's actually achievable" and as a "how quickly did they do that!?!? That's impossible!" for before you've seen the secret route/practised for a bit. Also, while I don't have many friends currently playing this the devs have seen me through by putting a @Jolly character in there who posts really easy scores that are super simple to beat so that I never get too down! Apologies...

5. You can skip the awful script!

The one drawback for me is that the script feels personally designed to annoy me. If you tap Y at the start of every cutscene the game will zip through it and let you get back to all the jumping. You might love the incredibly anime characters/plotting, I found it frankly embarrassing and am truly glad I can just speed through it. Thanks devs!

6. It reminds me of the following games which cannot be a bad thing!

Mirror's Edge, Superhot, Super Meat Boy, Returnal, Ghostrunner, Prince of Persia, Olli Olli, Rayman Origins, Astro Bot, Burnout/The good Need For Speeds.

So yes. I love Neon White. Because of all the above reasons and because it's great. And I think if you click with any of the above there's a chance you'll love it too! So get on it and add me on Switch! SW- 1968-9460-6885