IGNORED

Neon White - First Purgatory Shooter

Siri

I keep a draft on my phone to just jot down thoughts here and there for when GotY season rolls around, and I did a similar list of games it reminds me of a none of them match yours :lol:. I'm getting hints of El Shaddai, Persona, Killer 7, Paradise Killer, Outun 2 and Time Crisis. It's also got this Dreamcast-era Sega vibe bubbling away beneath it all.

It's a powerfully good videogame. 

5 hours ago, BitterToad said:

It's a shame more people aren't jumping (ho ho) on this. It's absolutely sublime and I've basically given up my weekend to it. I will attempt to spell out why the game is special and why if you own a Switch or a PC and like jumping and running (not necessarily in that order) you're missing out on what could be a real classic.

1. It is not a card game!
When I saw the initial trailers for this it looked like exactly my sort of frantic fun platforming thing with a horrible boring card game bolted onto it. Ugh, I thought, card games are for stupid Hearthstone loving nerds and I'm an awesome Returnal loving... well, nerd. It's a shame this game won't be for me! Don't be fooled by the cards. There's no rogueliking or rogueliting, no deck building, nothing of the sort. The cards are just pickups dotted around each brilliantly designed level. They don't persist between levels, you're never building a deck, they're literally just pickups you use on that run then everything resets. In fact a way of making Neon White more marketable to cardphobes like me is to not call them cards at all but... are you ready for this one..? They should have called them guns. 

2. It's a gun game!? That sounds much better than stupid boring cards! How does it work?

Thanks for asking! Each gun comes with a primary "shooting" function; pistol, smg, whatever else and a secondary function which discards the gun and normally aids your platforming somehow. There's a pistol that lets you double jump, a single fire rifle that lets you zip across levels, an SMG that lets you slam down onto bastards' heads. The meat of the experience comes in using these abilities across (and I may have already said this) superbly pixel perfectly designed platforming challenges to get to the end goal whilst killing everything as quickly as possible. You'll jump off a roof, pop a couple of bastards with your pistol, throw it away to double jump over the gap to their bodies, grab the rifle/dash gun they've left behind, pop another bastard in the distance with that, throw it away to dash to their body which is floating in midair and contains an SMG pickup, grab that, shoot bastards, discard SMG to slam down on bastards, run run run shoot shoot shoot jump jump jump quicker quicker quicker. The genius is that all of the levels are less than a minute long and you're making these split second decisions that feel second nature after about five minutes of playing. It sort of feels like injecting Mirrors Edge. And the adrenaline from rerunning a level ten times to beat one of my times is what lead to me writing all this guff. Talking of beating times...

3. It'll make you feel like a speed runner thanks to its brilliant structure!

I've always loved the idea of speed running games but am absolutely baffled when I watch the real genius' do it. How do they find their lines? How do they work out the fastest way without spending a thousand hours playing? Well, the answer is they don't. But do you want that feeling gamified perfectly without the ten thousand hours side of things? Try Neon White! Every time you play a level for the first time it's just you in the space. They're all fantastically designed so that each feels like a clever linear experience that's brilliant fun to zip around and get a medal on. And it's the medals where things get really interesting. Finish a level with a bronze medal? Well done, now back to it buddy and beat your time. No change from normal there. Silver? Excellent work, you've now unlocked your ghost on that stage so that you can see where you're running faster/slower as you go. Once you've got gold though? Well now you're in the endgame... Each level will have a secondary route that will shave 5-10 seconds (or sometimes more) off your time and the genius of Neon White is that once you get a gold medal and feel like you've truly mastered it, the game shows you those routes! A little marker appears in this level you've totally mastered and says "hey, why not come this way and really ace it?" Sometimes you'll spot them on first run and feel like a real clever clogs but more often than not it's just another way of opening up these brilliant spaces and letting you shave more time off in order to get that illusive final "Ace" medal. And once you've got that? Only then do you get the global leaderboards opened up. You have to have truly and genuinely mastered a level in order to go up against the best. You can't see how much better than you American teenagers are until you've already had lots of lovely dopamine getting better and better!

4. There are friends leaderboards and they're awesome too!

While you have to be a real genius athlete like me to open up the global leaderboards, friend leaderboards are there from the start. They work in both a "oh great a human I can try and beat that's actually achievable" and as a "how quickly did they do that!?!? That's impossible!" for before you've seen the secret route/practised for a bit. Also, while I don't have many friends currently playing this the devs have seen me through by putting a @Jolly character in there who posts really easy scores that are super simple to beat so that I never get too down! Apologies...

5. You can skip the awful script!

The one drawback for me is that the script feels personally designed to annoy me. If you tap Y at the start of every cutscene the game will zip through it and let you get back to all the jumping. You might love the incredibly anime characters/plotting, I found it frankly embarrassing and am truly glad I can just speed through it. Thanks devs!

6. It reminds me of the following games which cannot be a bad thing!

Mirror's Edge, Superhot, Super Meat Boy, Returnal, Ghostrunner, Prince of Persia, Olli Olli, Rayman Origins, Astro Bot, Burnout/The good Need For Speeds.

So yes. I love Neon White. Because of all the above reasons and because it's great. And I think if you click with any of the above there's a chance you'll love it too! So get on it and add me on Switch! SW- 1968-9460-6885

Also you forgot to say the music is excellent.

Right, this thread has sold me on a deck purchase.

I mean, that's a GOTY list right there.... Jesus

8 hours ago, BitterToad said:

6. It reminds me of the following games which cannot be a bad thing!

Mirror's Edge, Superhot, Super Meat Boy, Returnal, Ghostrunner, Prince of Persia, Olli Olli, Rayman Origins, Astro Bot, Burnout/The good Need For Speeds.

10 hours ago, Jolly said:

I keep a draft on my phone to just jot down thoughts here and there for when GotY season rolls around, and I did a similar list of games it reminds me of a none of them match yours :lol:. I'm getting hints of El Shaddai, Persona, Killer 7, Paradise Killer, Outun 2 and Time Crisis. It's also got this Dreamcast-era Sega vibe bubbling away beneath it all.

It's a powerfully good videogame. 

Can't believe I forgot Paradise Killer. It's such a clear influence design wise. I think it misses tonally but when the gameplay's that good who cares? And yeah it 100% feels like a Dreamcast game. 

Started this last night and up to level 4. Really starting to get into it. I won't repeat what everyone has said but I agree with the overall feelings on here. Loving the soundtrack as well, and I don't mind the story stuff, though I skip the voices sometimes. I do kinda wish they would force you to get better times a bit more in the early game. I know I can go back whenever but the progression doesn't require many gold ranks at least for now, so you feel more incentivised to press on.

I'm struggling a bit with the controls at times, mainly for muscle memory in weapon switching, but I know that will come with time. But these are minor niggles, it starts off pretty straightforward but the flow is good - and its really satisfying stringing moves together and improving your times. Restarts are almost instant which helps a lot. For me its Mirror's Edge time trials crossed with Paradise Killer that I'd point to as the biggest touchstones. I can see this getting very addictive, its already good fun and there's lots more to go.

Re: Handheld mode, that's all I played in last night and I didn't have any issues. Its very minimalistic so there's no performance hit that I noticed. Playing docked today and haven't noticed any difference either.

I'm not really at a competitive level yet (only got a few Aces) but I will definitely be grinding out those high scores later.

My friends code is: 

SW-7377-5880-4015 and my name on Switch is Jigsawn - hit me up!

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I do kinda wish they would force you to get better times a bit more in the early game. I know I can go back whenever but the progression doesn't require many gold ranks at least for now, so you feel more incentivised to press on.

I’ve found I did that naturally (I’m only just up to level 3) as I wanted to go back and get all the presents as soon as I realised that was a thing…when you do that you end up acing loads of early levels as you see all the shortcuts. And then you need to try them out.

When you give the presents out you start to get sidequests from the characters, and some of those are brutal…until you twig them, anyway!

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

My friends code is: 

SW-7377-8880-4015 and my name on Switch is Jigsawn - hit me up!

Just tried to add you and it says user not found!

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Just tried to add you and it says user not found!

Oops sorry, I had a typo in there. I'll edit the original post but the correct number is:

SW-7377-5880-4015

This game is so addictive, I've spent the past few hours blitzing it. It gets a lot harder (and fun!) as it goes on, I'm onto 4 days remaining but getting a lot of golds and Aces now. I even got 13th on the global leaderboard on one hard level I just did - I kept dying but the one run I survived I got almost perfect. I've been getting around rank 200-300 in the global leaderboards on other levels, but I checked the number of players on one level and it only went up to about 800, so not sure how many people are actually recording times.

Really fun game though, definitely recommend it! And there's so much more to do!

Edit- about performance on Switch, there's definitely some minor frame rate dropping (even docked) going on in some of the later levels which is a shame for a game based on speed and flow, and a bit confusing considering its extremely sparse.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Oops sorry, I had a typo in there. I'll edit the original post but the correct number is:

SW-7377-5880-4015

This game is so addictive, I've spent the past few hours blitzing it. It gets a lot harder (and fun!) as it goes on, I'm onto 4 days remaining but getting a lot of golds and Aces now. I even got 13th on the global leaderboard on one hard level I just did - I kept dying but the one run I survived I got almost perfect. I've been getting around rank 200-300 in the global leaderboards on other levels, but I checked the number of players on one level and it only went up to about 800, so not sure how many people are actually recording times.

Really fun game though, definitely recommend it! And there's so much more to do!

Looking forward to giving it a go later, not sure my reactions are up to getting super fast times but we will see!

Considering all the praise it's been getting the price is reasonable too. Was expecting it to be a £50 game.

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Does the switch version have gyro aiming? The deck version doesn’t, and I’m tempted to return it, if the switch version does.

Its clearly brilliant. 

Switch version has gyro, yeah. SwitchUp on YouTube said it was an especially good implementation.

Can’t you manually enable gyro on steamdeck for the right stick?

This is great. Bonkers but great. Only done the tutorial mission so fat, just got to the hub, but want to go back now and get some silver and golds along with gifts. I presume you don't upgrade your moves in any way and I should be able to get top scores on the first mission levels from the start?

39 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

This is great. Bonkers but great. Only done the tutorial mission so fat, just got to the hub, but want to go back now and get some silver and golds along with gifts. I presume you don't upgrade your moves in any way and I should be able to get top scores on the first mission levels from the start?

Yep. Getting better grades gets you tips and ghosts is all. And you will need to reduce your rank by getting Golds to progress along the mission chain.

13 hours ago, Strafe said:

Can’t you manually enable gyro on steamdeck for the right stick?

Yep. Either this, or use a different config that has a more sensitive gyro baked into it via KBM (some games are finicky with switching between controller and KBM on the fly). There's bound to be a few, although I haven't needed to resort to it yet.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I can't see the demo on Steam any more for this :( When did they remove it?

Last year. Didn't show up during following Next Fest events after last summer.

17 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

There's a whole gyro section in the menu so I'm assuming so!

Yeah, I turned this on after I bought the game last night. I will, though, have to get used to how you can't invert the Y-axis on the stick and gyro aiming separately. Either you're tilting the Switch in the natural direction to aim up and also have to push the right stick up if you want to adjust the view up, OR if you want an inverted Y-axis on the stick, the aim tilting via the gyro is 'the wrong way'. I'll probably get used to this after an hour or two of using it, but my initial impression is that this is a bit of a pain as an inverter!

Neon White does seems like a lot of fun so far, though. I only had time to play a few levels, but yes, what @BitterToadsaid about treating the cards as guns is bang on. This isn't a card game in any way, shape or form, so @jcafarleycan rest easy.  

Is gyro better? I've never used it on any Switch games. Somehow I've got from being an inverter in FPS to the opposite way, so maybe this would suit me.

14 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Is gyro better? I've never used it on any Switch games. Somehow I've got from being an inverter in FPS to the opposite way, so maybe this would suit me.

A long time ago Nintendo released some information that the majority of Splatoon 2 players used gyro, so as long as it's implemented properly it should be good.

24 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It's worth a go, I'd say - I was getting horrific images of wiimote waggling and the fucking maze shrine in BotW where it's easier to flip the whole thing upside down when people talk about gyro aiming, initially.

In reality, it comes down to what point you want it actived, and how it works in comparison to how you play.

Personally, as a big dumbo who likes smashing analogue sticks full tilt 80% of the time, I found it nice to have Gyro set up so it handles the finer motions instead of full-on Ravi Drums - I move in broad strokes with the analogue, and then all I need to do is tweak my console slightly to either correct my aim to where I want it to be, or add more sauce to a movement (so full tilt + gyro acceleration = 180 degree turns on a whim).

Activation points might be a sticking point on the Switch, but it's light enough that you just keep it constantly on instead and just hold it still without fatigue.

Im really enjoying this, its great fun. Levels are getting a bit longer and more complicated the further in you get, i was worried switching the cards around, and the same button being used for multiple things would get confusing, and i do get confused sometimes, but generally it works really well and works more like a context sensitive button as if you follow the main path the cards can be picked up in the right order so you dont have to switch cards.

No one at all on the friends leaderboard on steam if anyone wants to add me, think the username is spatular but not 100% sure. Whenever ive got on the main leaderboard its been at around 3.5k out of ~5k.

dont like the strange graphical effect/filter thing going on, although only notice it in the menus.

I've been noticeably getting worse medals as I've been trucking along, although I've only been playing during lunchtimes this week because of other matters in the evening.

The final level in Mission 6 (Race) left a massive grin on my face, though. It's so frantic as you're trying to beat the tripwires and spamming Godspeed, it's fantastic!