Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

38 minutes ago, wev said:

Good, hopefully they actually explode rather than metaphorically 

I guess women might not even be in Ultimate Team as it's the last EA FIFA - they might save some things for their new game. Be nice if they finally gave us some new gameplay and a decent single player career mode as well. I realise this is pie in the sky talk. 

7 hours ago, glb said:

FIFA 23 is including the WSL and France's Division 1 Féminine, along with next summer's World Cup (having previously featured international women's sides) A small step but one that does feel significant in that there is further inclusion in a medium that is notoriously male-skewed. Reports suggest further sides will be added, hopefully EA Sports FC and FIFA's future content partners will sustain this progress.

Does feel like the next few years could be huge for the women's game in the UK as the recent growing potential is increasingly realised, moving the game from being a niche curiosity (or simply being overlooked) to a much more sustainable and developed outlet for football supporters. Seeing families in the stands enjoying the games during the current Euros has been heartwarming.

Maybe it will be as progressive as this, which was like 22 years ago?

One might argue that one - a reworking of Michael Owen's World League Soccer - was more commercial than progressive, but then selling a game off the back of a top female player remains largely unheard of. You couldn't imagine them reskinning PES today for the US market with Megan Rapinoe on the cover.

Which, I might add, if they do I'll fucking buy it.

5 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

They are already angry about a woman being on the cover. When they see a woman rated at 90+ in Ultimate Team it's going to make some heads explode.

Out of curiosity I took a look at FIFA 22. 

The highest rated players are Wendie Renard and Vivianne Miedema (92). Also highly rated are Lucy Bronze, Sam Kerr and Alexia Putellas (91), Ada Hegerberg, Caroline Graham Hansen, Dzenefer Maroszán, Megan Rapinoe and Lieke Martens (90), and then Christine Sinclair and Eugenie Le Sommer sit just outside on 89.

It's a shame you can't play mixed teams. That'd really make the heads explode.

Anyhow, detouring away from the women's football for a moment, it's been a decent night for Irish sides in the Conference League, with Sligo Rovers winning 1-0 at Motherwell, and St Pat's Athletic getting a 1-1 draw against Spurs-botherers NS Mura. Still an uphill struggle for either of them to go through, but neither tie is dead.

Unlike, sadly, Shamrock Rovers' Champions League efforts against Ludogorets, where they went down 3-0 on Tuesday night. Rovers were good value in the second half, as the Bulgarian press seemed to ease off, but where a 2-0 scoreline might be overhauled, they conceded in the dying seconds to make the tie virtually over. If the expected happens, they'll drop into the Europa League, then the Conference League, so they just need to win one tie out of three to guarantee group stage football.

It's easier for domestic champions, which I think is some small credit for the current European format. Finish second or third and you'll be fucked over by Villarreal or similar if you even make it within touching distance, but league winners tend to get a few bites of the cherry. 

Barca gonna Barca.

Barcelona have sold another 15% of their La Liga television rights to a US investment firm to release finances which will strengthen their hand in the transfer market.

The club announced on Friday “an additional investment” from Sixth Street, which in late June acquired 10% of Barcelona’s La Liga TV rights for the next 25 years.

Everything is fine, nothing to see here.

I really wish one of these money-laundering, sorry, investing, billionaires would buy a Scottish side and pump untold amounts into the club. I’d like to see what happens when neither Celtic or Rangers win the league.

2 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Lingard to Forest is an eye-opener. £200k a week 😳

Only a one year contract, though still alot of money!

3 hours ago, wev said:

Only a one year contract, though still alot of money!

80k basic with a potential 120k in add ons apparently which seems more reasonable for a player that’s had half a good season in the last three years. He’ll be off like a shot if they get relegated. Forest should have added in a bonus clause to stop him doing that annoying JLingz hand signal. 

I think Lingard might be excellent for Forest.  He's an underrated player who has been stuck in the Old Trafford vortex of shitness for much of his career.  You only have to think back to how good he was during his brief escape to West Ham to realise there's a player in there.  I hope he doesn't lead Brennan Johnson astray though.  If Brennan starts wearing ridiculous clothes it might be worth staging an intervention.

Fuckin' hell, there goes any goodwill towards Forest i guess. Another scumbag owner tainting a  club.

In January 2021 and after 10 witnesses of the case have already died...

Perfectly normal. 

Last season we had the Euros, the season before that the resumption of football after lockdown. You've probably just forgotten the usual media cycle around preseason. It'll be even worse next season since there's no summer men's World Cup to fill the holiday months and the women's World Cup will also be during preseason.

18 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't think Forest's owner has much of an eye on the balance sheet.  He's an... interesting character.  It's worth checking out the "controversy" section of his wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelos_Marinakis

Eurgh, that's beyond grim, all these investigations and court cases, usually for very similar things, and every time he's acquitted or the investigation is closed, clearly he's fucking horrible 

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

That's not much different to now - no summer men's tournament, and a women's major.

...which is the point I'm responding to?

oh, cos we should've either had the World Cup this summer (normally) or next summer (if you wanted to keep the gap from the continental competitions) but instead it's mid season so the media will be even more pent up.

The benefit of the world cup moving is the delayed Women's Euros isn't playing second fiddle. 

Just bin off the Men's World Cup in Quatar and forget it was even considered.