Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Genuinely worried about Forest spending all that money, like alot of promoted sides they had alot of loanees last season and they do need to invest in long term recruitment but alot of their success last season came from the atmosphere Cooper had created, aided by the improved results, it all fed together. But so many new faces it's hard to see him capturing that again, particularly when results may be tougher to obtain.

59 minutes ago, wev said:

Genuinely worried about Forest spending all that money, like alot of promoted sides they had alot of loanees last season and they do need to invest in long term recruitment but alot of their success last season came from the atmosphere Cooper had created, aided by the improved results, it all fed together. But so many new faces it's hard to see him capturing that again, particularly when results may be tougher to obtain.

At least you've bought a player. And not sold your captain. And have bids in for your playmaker and star CB. I hope Cooper and Forest do well though and, on the face of it, there are some decent purchases in there. 

I have no issues with any of what's going on at Leicester, mind. The club has been really well run but we had two years of terrible financial losses due to COVID. Our (current) First XI can give any team a decent game and we do have decent depth. What's annoying is that Leicester try to run the club with Financial Fair Play in mind, which other clubs don't. However, our new training ground is state of the art and the owners have not only financed that but also regularly donate millions to the city and have funded the hospitals with £millions of funding. We are blessed to have them. 

Gutted Schmeichel has gone though. My eldest has grown up with him being his favourite player and he's been there throughout his interest and then love for football. Now only Vardy, Albrighton and Amartey from our league winning team. Hope that he gets a testimonial at some point or a friendly with Nice next year where he can get a proper send off. As much as he has been a Leicester great for footballing reasons, the measure of the guy is running towards Vichai's helicopter whilst it was on fire to try and save the passengers. 

19 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Surprised at the Schmeichel move, was there anything behind that, or was it a case of just wanting a fresh challenge? 

Had a year left on his contract and had intimated that he wanted another go at Champions' League football. Although he's obviously leaving for his own reasons, I think he also did it because he had a feeling it was probably for the best for the club. He's on massive wages at Leicester and we have to bring our wage bill down. In addition, we have two decent reserve keepers in Danny Ward and Daniel Iversen (who is seen as a potential replacement for the national team going forwards). Rodgers actually played Ward in the PL against Watford at the end of the season, presumably with an exit in mind. 

Schmeichel has a superb relationship with Top (the chairman) and I'm convinced that Kasper leaving had been decided at the end of last season. I'm also convinced that once Kasper retires he'll join the Leicester board or become Director of Football. Top's comments below show how highly he's regarded. There's a few board positions that will likely be vacated in a few years time which would fit in with all of this. In recognition of his achievements, the club set the transfer fee really low (£1m + add-ons). I know clubs sometimes give long-term servants a free transfer but he was a first-team regular and club captain.

As much as I love the guy, there has been a slight dip in form and I won't miss his kicking the ball directly into touch throughout games. But, as his FA Cup Final performance showed, he is capable of stunning shot-stopping performances and has a real aura that lifts those around him. Third highest appearances in a Leicester shirt and no-one has lifted more trophies than him. Legend. 

“Throughout his time with us and particularly as a captain and vice-captain, Kasper has always been a player willing to stand up and take responsibility, leading the team with distinction," Top is quoted as saying in a statement on the club's website. "His influence and his leadership on and off the pitch speak volumes about him as a professional, as a football player and as a human being.

I think that one of the best things about him is that no-one felt that he had to be constantly compared to his father, who was also one of the great PL keepers.  It was clear early on that he was as good, and even managed to get league and cup winning medals. A genuine pleasure to watch.

He's also very highly thought of around the city. Fan talk is that when Perez et al had their party during lockdown that he went absolutely ballistic at them and read them the riot act; the players have total respect for the guy.

I also love the fact that when Vardy had the shindig at his place when Chelsea played Spurs, Schmeichel instead went to a restaurant with his family as he said they'd been with him throughout his career and helped him reach that position. Then when he found out Chelsea had got the draw, winning us the title, he then went over to Vardy's and 'got on it'.

There's an excellent documentary about him here which is well worth watching. 

8 hours ago, wev said:

Their owner is a crook. Spending big money is just a nice way of laundering it.

I remember Kasper's loan spell at Falkirk, thought he looked absolutely shite. Shows what I knew.

7 hours ago, Stopharage said:

At least you've bought a player. And not sold your captain. And have bids in for your playmaker and star CB. I hope Cooper and Forest do well though and, on the face of it, there are some decent purchases in there. 

I have no issues with any of what's going on at Leicester, mind. The club has been really well run but we had two years of terrible financial losses due to COVID. Our (current) First XI can give any team a decent game and we do have decent depth. What's annoying is that Leicester try to run the club with Financial Fair Play in mind, which other clubs don't. However, our new training ground is state of the art and the owners have not only financed that but also regularly donate millions to the city and have funded the hospitals with £millions of funding. We are blessed to have them. 

Gutted Schmeichel has gone though. My eldest has grown up with him being his favourite player and he's been there throughout his interest and then love for football. Now only Vardy, Albrighton and Amartey from our league winning team. Hope that he gets a testimonial at some point or a friendly with Nice next year where he can get a proper send off. As much as he has been a Leicester great for footballing reasons, the measure of the guy is running towards Vichai's helicopter whilst it was on fire to try and save the passengers. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Their not "my" team but I do pay attention to what they're doing as I'm from there and almost all my family support them. I have a similar relationship with Notts County, though there's fewer family members who are fans, but I've been to more games at Meadow Lane than anywhere else and they used to send first team players to schools to do coaching in the 90s

8 hours ago, wev said:

On the other hand being relegated isn’t the end of the world, and even if a few of these players turn out to by gems they can either sell for big profit or help get them back up from the championship.

Forest's most important signing is keeping Brennan Johnson for the season.  

Besides, signing players is what they do.  I remember reading a couple of years ago that they had signed 70-something players in four years, and they haven't really slowed down since.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

I remember Kasper's loan spell at Falkirk, thought he looked absolutely shite. Shows what I knew.

Were you also the person who said Tierney was better than Robertson?

Mixed results in the Conference League for Irish clubs tonight. Sligo Rovers are almost certainly out after a 5-1 loss to Viking, but St Pat's have beaten CSKA Sofia 1-0 in Bulgaria and were good value for that too.

Shamrock Rovers play Shkupi at home in the Europa League, not as easy a tie as it might have looked when drawn.

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Were you also the person who said Tierney was better than Robertson?

Yeah, and he definitely is better than Robertson for Scotland. Hasn't developed as he could have due to injuries.

Sky Sports due at Anfield in 10 days. Sure they will skirt around the issue claiming it wasn't on air for them, and just assign a different commentator hoping it will blow over.

The cowards.

Pundits are keen on the idea of Leicester being relegated. Rodgers to Newcastle, but Newcastle are 4th best PL team in 2022 so I can't imagine them dropping so much that Howe is sacked. Leicester seem to have the worst defense in the league and concede with ease and that was with Schmeichel's shot stopping ability. No Europe, not losing Tielemans to Arsenal and/or Maddison to Spurs, can people really imagine that Leicester under Rodgers being relegated? 

Is it just me, or is this just a completely insane transfer fee, even in the crazy world of Chelsea transfer fees?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62434266

£60m+ for Marc Cucurella???  I understand that he's a fairly decent player, and would fit a specific style that Chelsea seem to be working towards, but holy crap, right?  They're apparently going to play him as the left centre-back in a three, and he's only played there a handful of times.

I know people are going to instantly think of £80m for Maguire and £50m for Wan-Bisakka, but nobody sensible claimed those were reasonable prices for those players either.

Eddie Howe is streakier than a butchers shelf full of bacon, but I would imagine that a top 10 finish would represent progress.  Although it will be interesting to see them try to break through that top 6 ceiling that has been beyond West Ham, Leicester and others.

I can't see Leicester being relegated though.  The "three worse teams" rule.  Bournemouth have failed to strengthen, Fulham are the definition of a yo-yo club.  Forest feel like they may do a Sheff Utd and have a good season before reverting to the mean. Next years Brentford in other words.  Everton are going to be rubbish until they sack Lampard and replace him with Dyche.  Southampton feel like the kind of team that could find themselves in trouble quite quickly (and haven't they got a tough start?).  I hope Leeds drop, but then the Football Gods hate me personally so it won't happen.

I notice the usual suspects are building the hype train around Arsenal again - they really must serve some fantastic stuff in the press box.

Was definitely surprised to see the fee for Cucurella, he's a good player but can't see why they're spending that much when they have Chilwell. Wouldn't they be better putting the money towards a striker? 

Like Ben White last year he is young had 4 years left on his contract and we didn’t need to sell. The club doesn’t stand in the way of players who want CL football (for example) assuming the timing and price is right.

I’d rather have Cucurella as it took us about 3 years to find him and we’re back to square one with no LWB and Levi Colwill on loan for some reason. But you have to work with what you’ve got.