Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

I’d love to send both managers off at Chelsea vs Tottenham. What a great job. It makes me sad I’ll wake up tomorrow and go to work and not be able to send off both managers at Chelsea vs Tottenham. 

On 13/08/2022 at 14:57, glb said:

How many does Haaland score Vs Bournemouth today, six?

Should have asked how many touches will he have? Turns out it was only eight. Still got an assist and saw his side win 4-0.

And someone on a podcast I was listening to yesterday claimed City have flaws.

1 minute ago, glb said:

Should have asked how many touches will he have? Turns out it was only eight. Still got an assist and saw his side win 4-0.

And someone on a podcast I was listening to yesterday claimed City have flaws.

the thing is that City do have flaws, the problem is that most sides struggle to exploit them either due to tactics or personnel. and even then if you try and go at them, it can still backfire and they can hit you hard.

City don't like to be put under pressure, their major defeats tend to come because sides attack them and ruffle their feathers. you can see this most when they were missing Fernandinho or Rodri, they end up feeling disrupted so it can put them off their rhythm. the thing that makes City great is that unless you manage to do this all game, they can eventually come back into a game as long as there's enough time.

I understand why smaller teams will try and put the low block out when given that choice, because you always have the chance of keeping them out and grabbing a point/a counter. just it doesn't happen often enough that it makes it that viable compared to, say, how Norwich and Palace managed to beat them 3-1 by attacking their centre backs and not giving the base of their midfield room to function.

Newcastle are sterner than Bournemouth but I still think City will edge them comfortably. the real quiz is if Newcastle's midfield can swarm City's in a way that lets Wilson get at Dias.

Speaking of worries, Diego Carlos has ruptured his achilles.

Given he's their big defensive signing this summer, that's rotten luck for him and the team. Going back to Konsa - Mings at the back doesn't seem like it'll help their fortunes, how do Villa fans feel about this?

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Four hours before kickoff, Pep was having lunch at a city centre restaurant that he co-owns.

I don’t think that he was worried.

Hope it was a slap-up sausage, chips and beans platter although I doubt Pep's ever been in a greasy spoon, let alone co-owns one.

20 minutes ago, SMD said:

the thing is that City do have flaws, the problem is that most sides struggle to exploit them either due to tactics or personnel. and even then if you try and go at them, it can still backfire and they can hit you hard.

City don't like to be put under pressure, their major defeats tend to come because sides attack them and ruffle their feathers. you can see this most when they were missing Fernandinho or Rodri, they end up feeling disrupted so it can put them off their rhythm. the thing that makes City great is that unless you manage to do this all game, they can eventually come back into a game as long as there's enough time.

I understand why smaller teams will try and put the low block out when given that choice, because you always have the chance of keeping them out and grabbing a point/a counter. just it doesn't happen often enough that it makes it that viable compared to, say, how Norwich and Palace managed to beat them 3-1 by attacking their centre backs and not giving the base of their midfield room to function.

Newcastle are sterner than Bournemouth but I still think City will edge them comfortably. the real quiz is if Newcastle's midfield can swarm City's in a way that lets Wilson get at Dias.

Think most sides avoid attacking them because, as you suggest, if it goes badly their goal difference will take a hammering. Suspect Newcastle will put in a spirited performance but still lose by two or three.

Losing Silva to whatever the hell is going on in Barcelona might weaken City (weirdly they play each other in a friendly after the Newcastle game, maybe he'll just miss his flight home) and leave them only like to get 93 points instead of 96.

33 minutes ago, SMD said:

Speaking of worries, Diego Carlos has ruptured his achilles.

Given he's their big defensive signing this summer, that's rotten luck for him and the team. Going back to Konsa - Mings at the back doesn't seem like it'll help their fortunes, how do Villa fans feel about this?

Huge blow.  We’ve had it before, last year Leon Bailey went from niggling injury to niggling injury and it seems we only got about 20 minutes of him at 100% in the entire season and obviously there was the tackle on then club record signing Wesley in 2019/20 which he still hasn’t recovered from.  Carlos is probably one we can work around because Mings, Konsa and Chambers are all decent centre backs.

A lot of people are trying to make a bigger deal of the Gerrard - Mings spat than there needs to be, Mings will give 100% when he’s in the team.

Ezri Konsa went massively off the boil last season and suffered his own serious injury which he’s returned from unexpectedly early but he was knocking on the door of the England team 18 months ago so hopefully he can recapture that form.  

Callum Chambers hasn’t really put a foot wrong since he signed.   

Watford were trying to get Kortney Hause in on loan, that deal might fall through I guess. 

46 minutes ago, glb said:

Hope it was a slap-up sausage, chips and beans platter although I doubt Pep's ever been in a greasy spoon, let alone co-owns one.

It was a Chicken Teriyaki sub with a cookie and a drink from his Subway franchise.  He actually co-owns it with Nathan Redmond, but if you ask Redmond about it, he rolls his eyes and changes the subject.

Carlos is a big loss for us. He was the big money defensive signing to change the way we play at the back. We pretty much have to replace him or accept the team isn't going to progress.

Very typically Villa. Whenever we sign a new exciting name it goes wrong, going back years. Nilis, plays astonishingly well for a couple of games, has his leg destroyed, career over. Jores Okore, exciting defensive talent, does his ACL a month into his first season, ends his top flight career. Kozak, decent prospect upfront, breaks his leg 3 months after joining when training, ends his top flight career. Wesley, club record signing at the time, struggles to settle but starts to find his feet, has his top flight career ended by Ben Mee. Bailey, big money exciting talent, picks up an injury immediately and then stumbles from 1 injury to the next for his entire debut season, leaving his season highlight reel being about 15mins of success... And thats only the ones that jump immediately to mind.

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Carlos is a big loss for us. He was the big money defensive signing to change the way we play at the back. We pretty much have to replace him or accept the team isn't going to progress.

Very typically Villa. Whenever we sign a new exciting name it goes wrong, going back years. Nilis, plays astonishingly well for a couple of games, has his leg destroyed, career over. Jores Okore, exciting defensive talent, does his ACL a month into his first season, ends his top flight career. Kozak, decent prospect upfront, breaks his leg 3 months after joining when training, ends his top flight career. Wesley, club record signing at the time, struggles to settle but starts to find his feet, has his top flight career ended by Ben Mee. Bailey, big money exciting talent, picks up an injury immediately and then stumbles from 1 injury to the next for his entire debut season, leaving his season highlight reel being about 15mins of success... And thats only the ones that jump immediately to mind.

John Fashanu…🙄 

I forgot to say how good Kaoru Mitoma looked for us in the 15 minutes he was playing on Saturday. I was going to ask that bloke on here who supports individual Japanese players rather than teams what he thought of him when he played for Kawasaki Frontale but I can’t remember who it is.

14 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I forgot to say how good Kaoru Mitoma looked for us in the 15 minutes he was playing on Saturday. I was going to ask that bloke on here who supports individual Japanese players rather than teams what he thought of him when he played for Kawasaki Frontale but I can’t remember who it is.

Was it @Dudleyor @nakamuraperhaps? (I could be way off)