Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

The EFL Cup is really pointless. Look at some of those results. When you get League 1 and 2 clubs essentially resting a lot of their starting 11s, that just tells you how many managers see it as a nuisance rather than a competition. 

I then looked at the Villa starting 11. Good grief. Perhaps old Stevie G just wants a trophy. I can't even remember who won it last season. 

10 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

The EFL Cup is really pointless. Look at some of those results. When you get League 1 and 2 clubs essentially resting a lot of their starting 11s, that just tells you how many managers see it as a nuisance rather than a competition. 

I then looked at the Villa starting 11. Good grief. Perhaps old Stevie G just wants a trophy. I can't even remember who won it last season. 

Stevie G just knew he absolutely needed a win. I still think its him or Lampard out first this season. 

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Bolton currently beating Villa 1-1 at The Reebok Burnden Park University of Bolton stadium.   Villa just look like they can’t be arsed.  

Geniinely thought it was still the Macron Stadium until just now. And I drive past it on a semi regular basis. 

39 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Liverpool won it last season.  

Villa made 5 changes from the league game at the weekend. It was always going to to be a ‘strong’ team after the terrible performances in the league this season, no way could Gerrard risk losing tonight. 

The protests against the Glazers went on for several hours, and were attendended by many thousands of fans.  I've heard estimates of up to 10,000 fans.

There's not been much coverage of it at all.  This incident with the bus, which is obviously shameful, is the only thing you will read about concerning the protests.  The video of the incident is lass than a minute long before the idiots started being put back in line by the rest of the fans (according to eyewitness reports on some podcasts I've listened to.)  Out of 10,000 fans peacefully protesting, all the coverage is of this incident, which apparently resulted in a bus being undamaged, but having to be cleaned. 

The only place to hear about the protests is on independent podcasts and social media.  Watching Sky, you would have assumed it didn't even happen.  The media coverage of these protests to remove parasitic billionaires from the club is entirely focussed on painting the entire fanbase (actually a couple of dozen out of thousands) as dickheads, which discredits the whole reason for the protests.  Anyone not paying attention would not even realise that there was a protest taking place, or that this was a crowd of hooligans.  That headline doesn't even mention it - it's just "Man Utd fans attack children."  Does anyone else find this shaping of the narrative at least a bit interesting?

Spoiler

To be clear, and in anticipation of the reaction to this post - I am not defending the morons who perpetrated this incident.  I'm just drawing some attention to the media coverage of the whole protest.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

The protests against the Glazers went on for several hours, and were attendended by many thousands of fans.  I've heard estimates of up to 10,000 fans.

There's not been much coverage of it at all.  This incident with the bus, which is obviously shameful, is the only thing you will read about concerning the protests.  The video of the incident is lass than a minute long before the idiots started being put back in line by the rest of the fans (according to eyewitness reports on some podcasts I've listened to.)  Out of 10,000 fans peacefully protesting, all the coverage is of this incident, which apparently resulted in a bus being undamaged, but having to be cleaned. 

The only place to hear about the protests is on independent podcasts and social media.  Watching Sky, you would have assumed it didn't even happen.  The media coverage of these protests to remove parasitic billionaires from the club is entirely focussed on painting the entire fanbase (actually a couple of dozen out of thousands) as dickheads, which discredits the whole reason for the protests.  Anyone not paying attention would not even realise that there was a protest taking place, or that this was a crowd of hooligans.  That headline doesn't even mention it - it's just "Man Utd fans attack children."  Does anyone else find this shaping of the narrative at least a bit interesting?

Hide contents

To be clear, and in anticipation of the reaction to this post - I am not defending the morons who perpetrated this incident.  I'm just drawing some attention to the media coverage of the whole protest.

You tend to make a lot of fair comments with your posting but I'm going to call you out on this one.  What you have said above is nonsense to be fair, Here is perfectly fair media coverage of the protest and the previous protesting that took place that took me 5 seconds to find.  I'm sure there is more.

My original post was more about how moronic dickheads can throw shit at a bus full of children who support their own club and not having a fucking clue.  Hence the expression....dickheads.

Unfortunately, even though you are saying you aren't defending these morons by mentioning that the bus was "undamaged" doesn't really help in this.  If they were my kids cowering in a bus because grown adults were throwing shit at it, I'd only be slightly less pissed off the bus wasn't damaged.

It’s been 23 years since we drew them in the League Cup (1999/2000, the 2010 final doesn’t count).

The FA Cup run was ridiculous at one point, we got them in the third round four times in seven seasons between 2001/02 and 2007/08 and then again last year.  

Going back a few weeks to the discussion about timekeeping we had, today's article in the Guardian is worth a look, not least for the amazing timewasting performed by Mamelodi Sundowns (here).

I think there's a good argument there about the drama of the unknown that might get lost with a stopclock. As it is, it's hard to know if that gets replaced with drama of a different kind when the seconds are dwindling away, or if the ball needs to leave play to force the end of the game, etc, and it's probably not something you can really use a trial for. How many games do you need to play to get another 1999 Champions League final, and how many such finals are needed to justify the deliberate loss of time?

30 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Going back a few weeks to the discussion about timekeeping we had, today's article in the Guardian is worth a look, not least for the amazing timewasting performed by Mamelodi Sundowns (here).

I think there's a good argument there about the drama of the unknown that might get lost with a stopclock. As it is, it's hard to know if that gets replaced with drama of a different kind when the seconds are dwindling away, or if the ball needs to leave play to force the end of the game, etc, and it's probably not something you can really use a trial for. How many games do you need to play to get another 1999 Champions League final, and how many such finals are needed to justify the deliberate loss of time?

I just want the ‘the referee has indicated there will be a minimum of three minutes added time’ to be adhered to, and injury time not end on 2.59. Or just change the language to remove minimum.

I don’t get out much.

On 19/08/2022 at 14:37, Fry Crayola said:

Anyway, the countries gracelessly failing time and time again aren't too surprising:

• Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Faroe Islands
  • Iceland
  • Kosovo
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Montenegro
  • Northern Ireland
  • San Marino
  • Wales (although Swansea City did play in the Europa League groups in 2013-14, no team qualifying via Welsh competition has made it)

As an update to this, I hadn't realised that Lithuanian champions Zalgiris were playing in the Europa League playoff, and so have guaranteed themselves a place in the Conference League should they fail to beat Ludogorets today. So that's Lithuania crossed off the list.

Tonight's games, then:

Zalgiris (LTU) (0) - (1) Ludogorets, 17.00

Ballkani (KOS) (2) - (1) Skupi, 19.00

Hamrun Spartans (MLT) (1) - (4) Partizan, 19.00

Slovan Bratislava (0) - (1) Zrinjski Mostar (BIH), 19.30

Linfield (NIR) (2) - (2) RFS, 19.45

Rapid Vienna (1) - (1) Vaduz (LIE), 20.00

I will be watching... none of them. I'll tune in to see if Shamrock Rovers can win 5-0 instead. They won't.

14 minutes ago, glb said:

I just want the ‘the referee has indicated there will be a minimum of three minutes added time’ to be adhered to, and injury time not end on 2.59. Or just change the language to remove minimum.

I don’t get out much.

I think the thing that annoys me most is when the referee blows for half time on 45 minutes dead.

I refuse to believe there are no stoppages in a half, and can't help but think the ref just wants to get home.

31 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I think the thing that annoys me most is when the referee blows for half time on 45 minutes dead.

I refuse to believe there are no stoppages in a half, and can't help but think the ref just wants to get home.

100%. I do like the token two minutes added on when one side is four or five goals up though.

Obviously not into the circumstances that might lead to it, but there is also a certain excitement when stoppage time goes above five minutes. A goal with +7 next to it feels naughty.

That's the best group I can ever remember Celtic getting in this competition. We've not played Real Madrid in a competitive game in decades* and the other two teams are very beatable.

*Looks like the only time was in the quarter finals of the European cup in 79/80

The group-stage draw in full

A: Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, Rangers
B: Porto, Atlético Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Bruges
C: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Internazionale, Viktoria Plzen
D: Eintracht Frankfurt, Tottenham Hotspur, Sporting, Marseille
E: Milan, Chelsea, Salzburg, Dinamo
F: Real Madrid, RB Leipzig, Shakhtar Donetsk, Celtic
G: Manchester City, Sevilla, Borussia Dortmund, Copenhagen
H: Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, Benfica, Maccabi Haifa

Liverpool getting Napoli felt inevitable and it looks like a tough group. Man City's is essentially a bye as is Real Madrid's and Spurs must fancy topping their group.