Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

10 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

DFECA8C4-E3F4-4BA1-8BEB-02B7FADA6147.jpeg

five past five on a Saturday afternoon and I’m pleasantly surprised to see we held Manchester City to a 0-0.  Well done Stevie Gee!

Yep, you're holding them well so far.  I know the match doesn't kick off for another ten minutes or so, but I thought you'd be a goal or two down by now.

25 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I read about that on the BBC updates, but they didn't really describe what had happened.  That's absolutely extraordinary.  I'm not sure how it could ever be interpreted as a foul.

That's pathetic.

15 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Stevie G for manager of the month!

Remember when he was bearing Man City last season then bought off Coutinho?

I suspect he's going to bring him on today, and lose again. 🤣

Last week’s decision and now this. Arguably city should have lost two games on the bounce. They’ve got enough of an advantage with having the backing of a corrupt oil rich state without also being protected by incompetent officiating in their favour.

Just now, Oh Danny Boy said:

Last week’s decision and now this. Arguably city should have lost two games on the bounce. They’ve got enough of an advantage with having the backing of a corrupt oil rich state without also being protected by incompetent officiating in their favour.

Forest were easily brushed aside midweek.

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Imagine if that was Liverpool failing to hold on against villa... it'd be the end of the world ;) 

If City had any fans we'd be laughing at them, for sure.  But they don't, so we have to laugh at you guys when Liverpool slip up instead.  :P

Great result, Villa!  It's a shame that a bad refereeing decision means you end up with a bad taste in the mouth even despite such a great result.  Has there ever been a worse day for bad Premier League decisions?  The one in the Newcastle match was a stinker as well.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

If City had any fans we'd be laughing at them, for sure.  But they don't, so we have to laugh at you guys when Liverpool slip up instead.  :P

You are enjolying you few weeks of improvement I see :P 

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm enjoying the brief respite from despair as much as possible before we inevitably return to business as usual. :lol:

Hey we can feel your pain! We had that from 1990 until 2016

25 minutes ago, dizogg said:

I don’t want to piss on your chips but you are aware it’s September?

yes. You aware that villa vs citeh ended 1-1, and the table now looks like this:

BA159A45-9A29-4ABF-BE56-3869038AE7D7.thumb.jpeg.e88200d2d7e15619f5e489be501591a7.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Much like Liverpool then, its what happens - big money clubs get always get the run, not sure it matters where the money comes from.

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Much like Liverpool then, its what happens - big money clubs get always get the run, not sure it matters where the money comes from.

Hardly. Still uptight about an offside goal being found offside? Isn’t that the point of VAR? Last week’s decision against Palace and Villa today is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. Legitimate goals wrongly chalked off for spurious reasons. 

5 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Hardly. Still uptight about an offside goal being found offside? Isn’t that the point of VAR? Last week’s decision against Palace and Villa today is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. Legitimate goals wrongly chalked off for spurious reasons. 

2 goals given offside where within the known flawed parameters of VAR would have been given on side and a blatant red not given, Palace one im with you on but Villa had nothing to do with VAR as the whilstle had been blown, Countinio was lucky to not be booked for dissent. 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

2 goals given offside where within the known flawed parameters of VAR would have been given on side and a blatant red not given, Palace one im with you on but Villa had nothing to do with VAR as the whilstle had been blown, Countinio was lucky to not be booked for dissent. 

If you’re talking about how VAR has been used to make pin point offside calls then every team has benefitted/suffered from those during games. I agree that VAR should be used to correct obvious bad calls for such things. 

Just saw the West Ham one. That’s fucked, I’d be fuming as a hammer. Var is simply making worse calls than refs did without it. How can officiating be so abysmal?