Jump to content

Football thread 2022/23


Naysonymous
 Share

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Does this mean Gerrard and Lampard are both as good as each other in their respective positions?

 

Who will get picked for England manager in 10 years?

Gerrards a 'dead man walking', Lampards doing a great job 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

City stopped playing when they heard the whistle before Coutinho shot so while it was an error it didn’t definitely rob them of a goal.

I agree with this but the point he’s supposed to let the play develop before blowing and who knows what happens then. 

After that incident City we’re flagged twice for offside and both times he let them play on until the attack was over before giving it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

City stopped playing when they heard the whistle before Coutinho shot so while it was an error it didn’t definitely rob them of a goal.

 

 

I mean the shot went in so there's that.  How many times has a team "stopped playing" but the goal still counted? It does happen.  Villa can rightfully feel hard done by here.  It doesn't matter of course, it will be forgotten about in a week or two but we get this shit a lot against Manchester City since VAR was brought in.  In 2019/20 we had one when David Silva poked one home from two yards while standing offside but the ref gave the goal because he said that de Bruyne's cross went straight in and Silva never touched it, a few hours after the final whistle the dubious goals panel credited Silva with the goal.    In 2020/21 the Premier League and EFL wrote a letter to the 92 clubs effectively changing the rules of the game mid season when Rodri was standing 20 yards offside then ran to tackle Tyrone Mings from an offside position before passing it to Bernado who scored.  The goal stood on the night, the rules got changed with immediate effect so it couldn't again.  Nobody actually remembers this stuff, just like nobody will remember this, or the West Ham goal at Chelsea.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

 

 

I mean the shot went in so there's that.  How many times has a team "stopped playing" but the goal still counted? It does happen.  Villa can rightfully feel hard done by here.  It doesn't matter of course, it will be forgotten about in a week or two but we get this shit a lot against Manchester City since VAR was brought in.  In 2019/20 we had one when David Silva poked one home from two yards while standing offside but the ref gave the goal because he said that de Bruyne's cross went straight in and Silva never touched it, a few hours after the final whistle the dubious goals panel credited Silva with the goal.    In 2020/21 the Premier League and EFL wrote a letter to the 92 clubs effectively changing the rules of the game mid season when Rodri was standing 20 yards offside then ran to tackle Tyrone Mings from an offside position before passing it to Bernado who scored.  The goal stood on the night, the rules got changed with immediate effect so it couldn't again.  Nobody actually remembers this stuff, just like nobody will remember this, or the West Ham goal at Chelsea.   


 The ref blew his whistle and the players reacted to that, I can’t remember a goal counting when the whistle has blow and players reacting to the flag and not the whistle Is a dangerous way to play. Villa did survive in 2020 due to Hawkeye not working and VAR not checking it so it all evens out over a lifetime ;) I would have been annoyed if it had happened to my team so I can understand the frustration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ryodi said:


 Villa did survive in 2020 due to Hawkeye not working and VAR not checking it so it all evens out over a lifetime ;)


 

Yep.  The thing which happened in the first half of our 29th game of the season.   It gets painted as a more dramatic swing in events than Agueroooooo vs QPR and is somehow a devastating trump card if a Villa fan ever complains about the ref.  It just shows how important narratives are in the court of public opinion though, right?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Fox said:

The standard of officiating in the Premier League is absolutely atrocious.

 

I'm glad this has finally been said.

 

I've not heard it mentioned before in 30 years of the Premier League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hamus said:

 

I'm glad this has finally been said.

 

I've not heard it mentioned before in 30 years of the Premier League.

 

Do you not feel like the last few years have been as bad as it's every been though? Feels like every weekend there's some utterly terrible decision. VAR has solved nothing because its just as inconsistent as the on field stuff.

 

West Hams goal being chalked off yesterday was a joke. It's not a foul. They need to stop wrapping keepers up in cotten wool and letting them get away with fuck ups by feigning injury.

 

Then you have the Villa decision. Can the officials just make up their mind and be consistent, it's all we want. You have games where clear offsides are not being called because they've been told to let the game flow and VAR will review if it results in a goal and then you have these instances where he's just flagging for no reason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

Do you not feel like the last few years have been as bad as it's every been though? Feels like every weekend there's some utterly terrible decision. VAR has solved nothing because its just as inconsistent as the on field stuff.

 

West Hams goal being chalked off yesterday was a joke. It's not a foul. They need to stop wrapping keepers up in cotten wool and letting them get away with fuck ups by feigning injury.

 

I've just seen the West Ham one and it is absolutely mental.

 

You need VAR for referees decisions, who watches the Watchmen?

 

I don't think it's worse. Rather the talk has shifted. VAR has not made it worse it's made it more obvious when things are wrong.

 

If a decision isn't given then it's far worse than a goal being chalked off. People forget about the ones not given much quicker than the ones where a decision is entirely reversed.

 

Recency bias and the move towards VAR has likely seen more high profile decisions being surfaced. Perhaps there is more frequency, or perhaps it's just been hyped more due to the visibility.

 

I still don't get how, when 99% of people say decisions are wrong when VAR is here - the officials don't get pulled up for it?

 

Even the Police go through disciplinary hearings. Referees are absolutely a law unto themselves. No wonder the fans get angry, there is never any parity.

 

Also; Mendy feigning his arm injury? Get to fuck mate. That's what triggered the call.

But when the players do that it's called "shithousing" or "playing the game".

Do people not like that now or...wasn't he being clever for his team! Like the chap who unsettled Nunez. It's all fair game.

 

Overall - lots of responsibility in a failing system there and nobody to take it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The disallowed goal in the Newcastle match was every bit as bad as the West Ham one, amazingly.  

 

The defender pushes the attacker as he goes for a cross, the attacker then crashes into the goalkeeper, and the ball bounces off the defender's head into the goal.  VAR disallowed the goal for a foul on the keeper.  I think the attacker might have actually got to the cross first, and it's a blatant shove, so even if it hadn't been an own goal, it should have been a penalty, and quite possibly a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity.  In one moment, the defender has effectively completed the Full Woodgate, but he got away with it entirely because of the sheer baffling incompetence of the officials.

 

This weekend has been a disasterclass without equal from the officials.  I think whoever is in charge of them all needs to face the media and answer some questions.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

The disallowed goal in the Newcastle match was every bit as bad as the West Ham one, amazingly.  

 

The defender pushes the attacker as he goes for a cross, the attacker then crashes into the goalkeeper, and the ball bounces off the defender's head into the goal.  VAR disallowed the goal for a foul on the keeper.  I think the attacker might have actually got to the cross first, and it's a blatant shove, so even if it hadn't been an own goal, it should have been a penalty, and quite possibly a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity.  In one moment, the defender has effectively completed the Full Woodgate, but he got away with it entirely because of the sheer baffling incompetence of the officials.

 

This weekend has been a disasterclass without equal from the officials.  I think whoever is in charge of them all needs to face the media and answer some questions.  

 

 

 

You mean Mike Riley who is handing over to Howard Webb?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hamus said:

 

Also; Mendy feigning his arm injury? Get to fuck mate. That's what triggered the call.

But when the players do that it's called "shithousing" or "playing the game".

Do people not like that now or...wasn't he being clever for his team! Like the chap who unsettled Nunez. It's all fair game.

 

One is cheating, pretending to be hurt to con the ref the other is winding a player up, they're completely different things. 

 

Mendy doesn't even hold the part of the arm that Bowen brushed against ffs.

 

Keeprs do it all the time case they know they'll get the decision go their way. You see it when a keeper runs into a load of players, fucks up the punch and then rolls around looking for a foul. It's as bad as diving for a panelty if it ends with a goal being disallowed like it did yesterday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

One is cheating, pretending to be hurt to con the ref the other is winding a player up, they're completely different things. 

 

Mendy doesn't even hold the part of the arm that Bowen brushed against ffs.

 

Gamesmanship. Doing what you have to win.

 

One is making a player react.

The other making an official react.

 

Nunez should not have fallen for it.

The officials should not have fallen for it.

 

If this had been a Pickford world cup final jobbie we'd be praising him, and then he'd probably get a TV advert with ArmCasts4u.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Keeprs do it all the time case they know they'll get the decision go their way. You see it when a keeper runs into a load of players, fucks up the punch and then rolls around looking for a foul.

 

If they do it all the time because it works who's fault is that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pop along to a League 1 or 2 game and wonder at the officiating by the linesmen. I sit alongside the 18 yard line and I've yet to see a competent linesman. Most of them can't keep up with play and often guess. 

And time wasting? LOL

Wycombe average about 10 minutes added time each game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Shoes said:

 

That's exactly what you wanted, come off it.


Well… yes.

 

My point is the only contender after 38 games will be Liverpool, so what happens to City is pretty inconsequential to an Arsenal fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going from Kasper Schmeichel to Danny Ward is like being told your doctor is ill, so Edward Scissorhands is doing your prostate examination. 

 

His positioning for two of Brighton's goals was appalling and his kicking has been diabolical. As has been our defending. 

 

And now Ndidi has an absolute brainfart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Going from Kasper Schmeichel to Danny Ward is like being told your doctor is ill, so Edward Scissorhands is doing your prostate examination. 

 

His positioning for two of Brighton's goals was appalling and his kicking has been diabolical. As has been our defending. 

 

And now Ndidi has an absolute brainfart. 

 

Brodge has no idea how to maintain a defensive unit, he'll stumble on something that works then it gets found out and you're back to square one but with one fewer solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.