Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Haaland is probably going to be the best centre forward of all time.

Celtic last night have a few things to think about. Very good until we tired and then Real adjusted their tactics and calmly but ruthlessly just choked us out. Excellent team.

I think we can come second in this group.

4 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Ornstein says he's gone. Wins the Champions League then binned a season and bit later. Tough business. 

Lasted longer than Di Matteo when he did it. I wonder who they’ve got lined up to replace him, Poch maybe?

American owners LOVE premature firings. See Scottish football where about a third of the league is American owned these days.

Leipzig sacked their manager too, less surprisingly as they are horrendous. Why do I fear they will take Tuchel and turn good...

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Well, I didn't see that coming, but Chelsea did rather implode last season and have been poor this season, but why let him spend £250m to then sack him days later? 

Has anything he has done so far indicated that their new owner has a clue what he is doing?

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

Has anything he has done so far indicated that their new owner has a clue what he is doing?

Well, no, other than enjoying buying all the players like an excited kid picking a big team in Football Manager.

Most of the signings I think make sense for the club, so I suppose they are largely manager-agnostic, but letting the Aubameyang deal go through so late - especially if Tuchel's future rested on his next result - seems even more baffling. I know it was relative peanuts, but his wages aren't going to be cheap and I wonder how many managers would want him? 

🤣 🤣 🤣

Chelsea sacking Tuchel hopefully means their slide into chaos will continue, owners have zero football experience so can see it getting messy for a while.

Get Fat Sam in to rescue the season and save them from relegation worries! 😆

More realistically Potter, Poch, Rodgers and Zidane being linked.

Potter would possibly be best long term but no european experience and not a 'big name' so think he's unlikely.  Plus who does long term anymore in top level football!

Rodgers is looking pretty stinky recently at Leicester so not sure on the wisdom there

Zidane is likely too 'galactico' and is after the French national job anyway

I reckon it will be Pochettino

I think it's cool that despite a change of owners, board, CEO, DoF etc.. Chelsea sticking with the strong brand of sacking a manager every 18 months to 2 years.

It's good to keep the club's traditions going.

Potter with the youth riches that Chelsea have would be ideal; but he’d need at least a year/18 months to change the club’s approach. Think the owners have neither the insight, patience or strategic thinking to go for that though. 

Surely, Pochettino will get it. 

13 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Potter would possibly be best long term but no european experience

I beg your pardon sir, his Ostersunds side reached the knockout stages of the Europa League. The very campaign which gave him a profile in England.

4 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I beg your pardon sir, his Ostersunds side reached the knockout stages of the Europa League. The very campaign which gave him a profile in England.

Pardon begged! 😆

I probably should have known that as I keep an eye on Brighton as lived there for a few years.  I guess my Sweden knowledge is more IKEA meatballs than their football teams!

Potter would be mad to go to Chelsea, the almost exact polar opposite of how Brighton are run.

Not that he hasn’t earned a stint at a (traditional) top six side but would almost feel like a step down at the moment, bar the fact he’d be managing a champions league side.

However, there’s also the ego factor; all managers have one, and being the guy to take Chelsea forward for £10m+ per year probably appeals. Especially when deep down you know half that contract will be earned after leaving the club long before the contract expires.

He deserved the bin, along with Mendy for their blatant cheating on Saturday "it was definitely a foul" my arse Thomas. As for Mendy 'get brushed on the left arm by some laces, then roll around on the floor and pretend I got kicked in the chest and right shoulder' get in the sea aswell you flappy twat.

17 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Jose is coming back for sure.

Two unlikely left field contenders might be Deschamps or Hansi Flick?!

Don't imagine either will leave their job 3 months before the World Cup. 

Jose round 3 would be hilarious but he actually seems happy at Roma, not sure he'd want to leave for another miserable job in England. 

4 minutes ago, redbloodcell said:

Don't imagine either will leave their job 3 months before the World Cup. 

Jose round 3 would be hilarious but he actually seems happy at Roma, not sure he'd want to leave for another miserable job in England. 

You're right, maybe after the World Cup! Also Deschamps hasn't bothered with club football for ten years. He might be terrible.

Flick is also new to the job. 

Crazy ideas.

Jose wouldn't WANT to leave, because he's happy at Roma. Yes. Except he is clearly so fucking mental he WANTS to be unhappy, and prove people wrong (even though people don't care anymore). He is his own mind games now.

14 minutes ago, Hamus said:

You're right, maybe after the World Cup! Also Deschamps hasn't bothered with club football for ten years. He might be terrible.

I think with Allegri not really doing well this time around the stars are aligned for him to finally return to Juventus, probably next summer. 

24 minutes ago, fatbob said:

I think Brendan Rogers would be a good fit there actually, but probably too sensible and not enough of a statement appointment given where Leicester are currently.

Okey?