Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

18 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Looks like grassroots football cancelled as well. God forbid kids play organised football tomorrow morning.

Fucking even worse, so she also has to miss out on training over the weekend too. 

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Fucking even worse, so she also has to miss out on training over the weekend too. 

It’s complete nonsense to cancel kids football.

“Why is my game off?”

“Because of the Queen being dead?”

“So we can’t do anything today then?”

“We can go out and do loads of things, including watching different live sports that aren’t football, but you can’t play an organised 9v9 games in a park on a Saturday morning”

It’s really an odd decision. I assume the government said it was up to them, but made clear they’d prefer it if the games were off?

I don’t get the grassroots stuff at all.  Seen some stuff where FA have threatened fines if any friendlies are found to be taking place.

It only makes sense if it was consistent across all sport (and then other events) and even then it’s fucking stupid for kids football to be off.

So you can’t go out and play or watch football, but you can go to the pub all day and watch foreign football on the TV or sit in the house and play FIFA or go and watch Rugby League or Ice Hockey or whatever else is still on?

21 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I don’t get the grassroots stuff at all.  Seen some stuff where FA have threatened fines if any friendlies are found to be taking place.

I like the idea that there will now be secret friendlies going on this weekend, "Dave's mate Clive knows a secluded field up near Rayleigh, just off the A127. You'll get a Whatsapp invite in a bit. Bring oranges."

Postponements are a nonsense given the cricket and golf are both back on tomorrow. Presume next week's European games will go ahead as scheduled, or does football have to be sad for longer than other sports?

7 minutes ago, glb said:

I like the idea that there will now be secret friendlies going on this weekend, "Dave's mate Clive knows a secluded field up near Rayleigh, just off the A127. You'll get a Whatsapp invite in a bit. Bring oranges."

Postponements are a nonsense given the cricket and golf are both back on tomorrow. Presume next week's European games will go ahead as scheduled, or does football have to be sad for longer than other sports?

I reckon it will be the Benfleet Social Club field. bet they will be nice and quiet this weekend :)

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Fuck sake, how do I explain this to a five year old whose wants nothing more than to go and watch Liverpool Women play. 

It's a joke. 

"The people who run this country don't care about you".  Or more accurately they are scared the right wing press will yell at them if the games go ahead. It's also stupid because while the midweek European games are still on there's a possibility next weekends fixtures will be cancelled as well due to her funeral. 

I think this all stems from the official government instruction to the various federations being effectively "dunno mate up to you, cancel or go ahead, do a minute's silence and armbands if you want". So the football people got together and shat it about publicity, postponed EVERYTHING. Meanwhile the cricket was just about to say it was going ahead from tomorrow and had to pause the announcement a couple of hours in case it turned out everybody would be furious with them. Seems like more people got cross about the football instead. If there'd been a definitive 'everybody should do this' it would've been a lot simpler.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Fuck sake, how do I explain this to a five year old whose wants nothing more than to go and watch Liverpool Women play. 

It's a joke. 

"You see, we live in a country of wild, nonsensical indoctrination..."

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

The season is already compressed as it is with the World Cup. If they also postpone next weekend the clubs will be doubly fucked. 

Given the amount of bungs and dodgy deals going on in the World Cup getting thus far we obv can’t mess with that so the Prem will have to come up with a plan… I suggest they just give last seasons results for the missing games……

bit late..I'm disappointed Potter would leave for Chelsea like I guess everyone is. Listening to a few podcasts with a range of views, one was 'at some point, I guess you have to make that step up' and 'you never know, run of bad form and he gets sacked, where does that leave him'.

With how stable Brighton are, surely he backs himself more to sustain the good football enough over a season or two than going to Chelsea a month into the season just as the schedule becomes more busy leaving him with less time it seems he needs to do as well he can.

It's more likely he can't make the step up or sort the pretty messy Chelsea squad out and it all goes wrong by January. Then he's in a worse position than just seeing what comes available at the end of a season when he has more time and transfers to work his methods. 

It seems likely Klopp and/or Guardiola will have one or two more seasons, doesn't seem likely they'll both do 3 more. And if Brighton continue to beat top sides, finish 6th and have a good Europa league run then he'll be targeted for those jobs. 

Pundits were saying the players on the subs bench were listening to Tuchel raging at players on the field and saying to eachother 'does he say these things about us when we play?', which I find funny. Also the American owner isn't happy about Tuchel's refusal to play Pulisic given his status in America is pretty high, well they said 'he's seen as a God'. 

Will be interesting to see a new take on this Chelsea squad I guess. With new owners I thought...Ambromovich sacked managers quickly and ruthlessly, how will they be...

I don't know why Potter would want to step into that, even if he thinks they want him, he trusts his methods and he'll answer whatsapp messages. 

Realistically, what could Potter achieve by staying at Brighton? I don't think a top-six slot was likely without a serious amount of investment, so regular top-10 placings would probably be the limit. If he believes in himself, why wouldn't he want to swap that for competing for the top-4, CL football, the ability to bring in established stars etc.

I don't really think he can lose; if things go badly on the pitch and he gets sacked, everyone will just be 'Well, it's Chelsea, lol' and I don't think it would hurt his reputation all that much. If he does well, then I'm sure there will be even more noise about the England job (if he wanted it) or another big club if he wanted a change. The salary is probably nice, too.

The Grauniad has a rundown of the sports affected and it’s pretty much only all UK football and a women’s boxing match between Savannah Marshall and Claressa Shields that have been postponed.

The list mentions that overseas sport will continue as planned :lol: Like that was ever in question.

44 minutes ago, glb said:

The Grauniad has a rundown of the sports affected and it’s pretty much only all UK football and a women’s boxing match between Savannah Marshall and Claressa Shields that have been postponed.

The list mentions that overseas sport will continue as planned :lol: Like that was ever in question.

The women's boxing being cancelled is bonkers. The fighters will have already gone through their weight cuts and extensive training camps and it is a big grudge match between two of the top female fighters.

I've seen rumours on boxing forums that it was forced on the promoters by SKY. Who had told the government they would take the hit on a few sports but still wanted others to fill the schedule. Football obviously the biggest hit.

I think there was a decent chance that some fans at some games might not have gone along with the media mandated show of respect.  My feeling is that the football authorities took one look at the possibility of getting shit from the papers for it and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of getting their careers potentially ruined.

think the police already said it's not on their end and they're good to go. it's probably as plissken said, a sizeable number of clubs will have fans who will ruin any attempt at paying respect as well as some tasty chants on prime time tv.

they're probably regretting letting all those matches take place when thatcher died

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The women's boxing being cancelled is bonkers. The fighters will have already gone through their weight cuts and extensive training camps and it is a big grudge match between two of the top female fighters.

I've seen rumours on boxing forums that it was forced on the promoters by SKY. Who had told the government they would take the hit on a few sports but still wanted others to fill the schedule. Football obviously the biggest hit.

Yeah it’s crazy this close to a fight. Totally undermines their camps. Rescheduled for a month’s time at least. Hopefully Marshall will manage the disruption.

Guess next weekend will get biffed too, what with the state funeral likely to be the following Monday. Post-World Cup is going to see players running on fumes.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

think the police already said it's not on their end and they're good to go. it's probably as plissken said, a sizeable number of clubs will have fans who will ruin any attempt at paying respect as well as some tasty chants on prime time tv.

they're probably regretting letting all those matches take place when thatcher died

Such a shame that people might exercise freedom of expression, especially if it goes against the establishment's narrative. Anfield on Tuesday should be fun.

Pity they never went ahead with Thatcher tributes at matches, it would have been epic.

16 hours ago, Adrock said:

I find it very strange. Rugby is continuing, my son is training on Sunday.

Welsh senior rugby matches called off today, but the kids games aren’t in Wales so it appears to be women fighting and anyone playing football at any level that are offensive to the Queen.

15 hours ago, Plissken said:

I think there was a decent chance that some fans at some games might not have gone along with the media mandated show of respect.  My feeling is that the football authorities took one look at the possibility of getting shit from the papers for it and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of getting their careers potentially ruined.

Liverpool and Cardiff and Celtic all being at home were probably the most likely trio for controversy I’d guess.

Although as long as they didn’t play the anthem then I would have been surprised at any disrespect at Cardiff today bar maybe a handful of people shouting, but if God Save the Queen had been played then it would have got booed. 

I guess the other concern is that the press would attack a player for being sent off or celebrating a goal too wildly.  I’m sure if Rashford scored and didn’t stand there in floods of tears afterwards he would have been crucified by the Mail the next day or if Sterling kicked the ball away and got a second yellow.

Still dunno what any of that has to do with kids not playing.

Imagining Britain’s utter dirge of an national anthem being played at Anfield or Celtic Park; it would have been worse than when Spinal Tap went on after Duke Fame.

EDIT: omitted Cardiff because I couldn’t remember the name of their ground :(