Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

3 hours ago, glb said:

Imagining Britain’s utter dirge of an national anthem being played at Anfield or Celtic Park; it would have been worse than when Spinal Tap went on after Duke Fame.

EDIT: omitted Cardiff because I couldn’t remember the name of their ground :(

It’s the snappily named Cardiff City Stadium or CCS which is white, but better than the Brace Bread stadium  or whatever awful sponsor thing we will end up with eventually.

Not quite clear why Tan hasn’t renamed it to the Malaysia Stadium or something, but he’d never do anything disrespectful to the club’s heritage 😉

On 09/09/2022 at 18:20, Gabe said:

Realistically, what could Potter achieve by staying at Brighton? I don't think a top-six slot was likely without a serious amount of investment, so regular top-10 placings would probably be the limit. If he believes in himself, why wouldn't he want to swap that for competing for the top-4, CL football, the ability to bring in established stars etc.

Progress is incremental. The club's current vision is to finish regularly in the top ten but on our current trajectory we may have managed Europa conference League and then built on that from there. It isn't comparable to Chelsea but at least with us he had the excuse of funding constraints. 

No one is interested in his replacements but FWIW it seems that Kjetil Knutsen sounds like he might be in a similar mould and Roberto de Zerbi is also in the running. I know little about either but trust the club to make the right decision.

EFL restarts Tuesday, police have said they have no issues with Prem games coming back except they may need to discuss policing for specific games over next weekend.

So seems inconceivable that football won’t be back next weekend, but who knows.  You’d think the FA would at least clarify that kids and grass roots are free to play.

Horse Racing has confirmed they won’t go of races next Monday.

I'm a bit sad today. The Ciderman died. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62862481

He was the manager when I started supporting my club. Dave Smith. A proper legend at our club. I used to stand with my Dad behind the dugout. His voice was so loud. "Are you joking now referee!" was a catchphrase. 

_126665339_smith2.jpg.b50b20bb2dd220dd3e5a8fd784e9ffdc.jpg

He signed my favourite ever player who drives a taxi around Plymouth to this day.

854_2.jpg.63df01e96fa1b84aaf07f22a8e7a2aaf.jpg

Sir Tommy Tynan.

I have the programme of my first ever proper game* in my living room. Dave was the manager. We won 3-2 and that was that.

*I went to half a game before this

Some VAR fun on a Sunday night

I think the decision is correct because Bonucci is in an offside position when the ball is played and moves towards the ball at which point the goalkeeper is reacting to him. Plus Juventus complaining about refereeing decisions against them is always funny.

7 hours ago, ryodi said:

I think the decision is correct because Bonucci is in an offside position when the ball is played and moves towards the ball at which point the goalkeeper is reacting to him. Plus Juventus complaining about refereeing decisions against them is always funny.

VAR seemed to miss the player near the corner who kept everyone onside :lol:

306320158_5700418063322658_3273203927139

10 minutes ago, Adrock said:

It wasn't the offside surely? Seems to me like a Juventus player is trying to take the senders defender's shirt off.

I've not watched all of the video but it clearly isn't offside.

Pretty sure it was given as offside, if you ignore the players at the corner then it is offside.

Nice bit of trolling from the other coach after the game too.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

It wasn't the offside surely? Seems to me like a Juventus player is trying to take the senders defender's shirt off.

Are you referring to this?

image.png.8e7bf1aedca7b03ba4c99a23de3332fb.png

If so, that's a Juventus player getting his shirt pulled, not the other way around. If it's not this, then I'm stumped because I don't see anything.

18 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I see Burnley are live on Sky again tomorrow. Did they have this many televised games last time they were in the Championship or is this the Kompany effect?

The latter, although the TV deal has changed since the last time we were in the division seven seasons ago.  We're not scheduled for any games in October, but t'Classico on November 12th will be moved and televised.

From memory, each team must be shown a minimum of five times according to the terms of the deal.  Huddersfield (A), Watford (A), West Brom (A), Norwich (H - postponed), PNE (A) are our five already, so I think we are the Sky darlings this year.

13 hours ago, ryodi said:

So much wrong, but probably right in the rule book about that whole thing.

Yellow card for taking off your top - please for fucksake just get rid of this dumb rule.

The offside because the player "went" for the ball even though the goalie is already watching it go in from the initial header.  The goalie didn't imo react to the second attempted header at all.

Dumbass VAR.

51 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

So much wrong, but probably right in the rule book about that whole thing.

Yellow card for taking off your top - please for fucksake just get rid of this dumb rule.

The offside because the player "went" for the ball even though the goalie is already watching it go in from the initial header.  The goalie didn't imo react to the second attempted header at all.

Dumbass VAR.

The player at the bottom is playing everyone on anyway…

5983AAF7-BC4F-42E3-BC82-411860061E8E.thumb.jpeg.02612e4fc4d565e42f009ea168ae5a2e.jpeg

(I think… it’s close/inconclusive if you look at the cut of the grass)

Arsenal PSV has been postponed on Thursday due to lack of police. Chelsea Liverpool is almost certainly going to be postponed as well with no chance of reversing the fixture because Everton are at home that day.

There are going to be some top flight players at clubs who can’t play next weekend and didn’t play last weekend who are going to pretty much have a month off if they aren’t in International squads.

Then they go back for a few weeks and then get another month off if they aren’t going to The World Cup.