Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

42 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

There are going to be some top flight players at clubs who can’t play next weekend and didn’t play last weekend who are going to pretty much have a month off if they aren’t in International squads.

Then they go back for a few weeks and then get another month off if they aren’t going to The World Cup.

Nice work if you can get it!

Here is why we should rip up the current rules on off side. 

If the Juve player by the corner flag isn't offside as not interfering, then the other player shouldn't be counted as playing anyone on as they are also not interfering. 

Just do away with offside as we know it. It was brought in to stop goalhanging and is now outdated in it's current use. 

Just say, you can only be offside if the ball is played from your own half and the receiving player is clear beyond the last defender. 

They are only then offside if the score themselves before passing the ball. 

Basically remove offside once the ball is in the attacking half. 

Let's start watching tactics where players attempt to screen the goalkeeper at corners, free kicks, etc. 

Create some chaos.

5 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

There are going to be some top flight players at clubs who can’t play next weekend and didn’t play last weekend who are going to pretty much have a month off if they aren’t in International squads.

Then they go back for a few weeks and then get another month off if they aren’t going to The World Cup.

All that money and theyre not even working full-time, scroungers the lot of them

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

3 games off this weekend

Chelsea v Liverpool

Man U v Leeds

Brighton v Palace

29 days between games for Leeds. It's like a second pre season. 

Brighton v Palace was cancelled due to the train strikes, which are now not happening, no one can really work out why it's still cancelled as there's been enough time for it to be reinstated (was only cancelled a day or two before the queen shuffled off)

No Palace games until October and it'll be nearly a full calendar month since the previous one.

On 09/09/2022 at 18:20, Gabe said:

Realistically, what could Potter achieve by staying at Brighton? I don't think a top-six slot was likely without a serious amount of investment, so regular top-10 placings would probably be the limit. If he believes in himself, why wouldn't he want to swap that for competing for the top-4, CL football, the ability to bring in established stars etc.

I don't really think he can lose; if things go badly on the pitch and he gets sacked, everyone will just be 'Well, it's Chelsea, lol' and I don't think it would hurt his reputation all that much. If he does well, then I'm sure there will be even more noise about the England job (if he wanted it) or another big club if he wanted a change. The salary is probably nice, too.

I just think Man City and Liverpool are more stable clubs that give their managers time, but Chelsea wanting Potter indicates the new owners want long term progress i guess. 

Ultimately it's silly to assume anything years ahead in football, passing up Chelsea because those jobs might appear is silly. There are many instances of a manager's stock falling and opportunities not coming again. A few years ago, Rodgers was being talked about for the Arsenal job, or Man United, now everyone is fixated on him making defences worse and never fixing it and it being such a big problem it reflects badly on his coaching abilities. Martinez was admired like Potter for the football his teams played then it switched to this guy's teams can't defend and it's stuck since, he's just considered a laughing stock now, despite managing Belgium. Allegri's stock is falling at Juventus, i'm not sure he was ever really in contention for the top jobs in the premier league but with Chelsea going through everyone else he probably was eventually.

just in case Chelsea blow teams away in the next few months like...i don't think Potter is at risk of doing badly and being sacked by January, he has weeks now anyway to do training. it's just ..they're like the dark side aren't they, Chelsea, and Potter is this sound calm guy. you could imagine him playing a jedi and he wouldn't look out of place.

Christopher Atherton came on for Glenavon in last night's league cup tie against Dollingstown.

What's remarkable about is that he's 13. Youngest senior player in the UK. Even notched an assist in the 6-0 win.

Still some way short (or long, I suppose that's a matter of perspective) of the record, Eric Godpower Marshall, who played for FC Gar'ou in Liberia at 11. Perhaps Wolves can scout him.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

National anthem before a club game is weird and so the applause at 70 minutes. 

Happened yesterday in our game. Most people weren't singing, some sang "the Queen" and a little kid near my seat was screaming. Some Cold War Steve shit at Home Park.

25 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Dumb refereeing going on in the Rangers - Napoli game. McGregor saves a penalty, Napoli score the rebound, ref orders a retake because McGregor came off his line. McGregor saves the retake.

I thought it was encroachment by the Napoli player who scored the rebound.