Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

We've been without a manager for the same amount of time as the queen has been dead and I'm already sick of the speculation which is purely based on betting markets. If a thousand people have a £1 punt on OGS being Brighton's next manager then of course his odds will shorten but it doesn't mean he's under consideration. So many links to Euro managers - I just want it done.

Just not "done" in the sense that we get Steve Bruce or someone in a panic like when your freezer breaks and you just buy the first thing that seems ok. 

4 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Don't forget there'll come a point where Pep finds having his genius play second fiddle to Haaland bashing in goals from nothing to be lacking in intellectual stimulation and start a process of self sabotage. It's who he is and is helpless to resist.

haha, it's going to be SO good when he's dropped from the squad for the second leg of the semifinal or something.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Pleased that Ivan Toney has been called up to the England squad - well deserved.

I'm utterly amazed at how much he's developed. I've seen him play against us for Northampton and Scunthorpe a few times and other than a scabby scuffed shot he scored for Scunthorpe against us, I thought he was a big lump up front that a lot of League 2 sides like. 

In those games, he could barely control a ball. 

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

and rocking up with a squad that has more centre backs than midfielders is classic.

I’d be more worried if he had picked more central midfielders over centre backs considering he likes to play with 3 at the back and 2 in the middle. Although 12 defenders and 5 midfielders being listed does look funny.

While there is no way Shaw and Maguire should be picked based on club form since the Euros, they do somehow always manage to turn up for England which is obviously the only reason they’ve been picked. As long as Southgate doesn’t ask the defence to push up (lol) then Maguire will always thrive.

1 hour ago, spork said:

Shaw and Maguire should be picked based on club form since the Euros, they do somehow always manage to turn up for England which is obviously the only reason they’ve been picked. As long as Southgate doesn’t ask the defence to push up (lol) then Maguire will always thrive.

Maguire also has 7 goals in 46 which is damn impressive.

17 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Don't forget there'll come a point where Pep finds having his genius play second fiddle to Haaland bashing in goals from nothing to be lacking in intellectual stimulation and start a process of self sabotage. It's who he is and is helpless to resist.

You can already see it happening. Some curious post match interview I saw with Pep where he basically said "it is great Haaland scored those goals, but we need to pass the ball more." Not really mate, put any average ball in or around the 6 yard box and he will get on the end of it, no need for the crisp champagne football.

16 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

You can already see it happening. Some curious post match interview I saw with Pep where he basically said "it is great Haaland scored those goals, but we need to pass the ball more." Not really mate, put any average ball in or around the 6 yard box and he will get on the end of it, no need for the crisp champagne football.

I think what basically boils down to 'get it to the big man at the front' is the ultimate anthesis to Pepball and it's killing him inside whenever it's brought up. Lolz.

20 hours ago, The Fox said:

Shaw over Sessegnon also seems a bit silly, given that England are probably going to be playing with wing backs, and one is a fresh option playing that position regularly and in good form, and the other is well known to the manager already, in poor form, and not playing for his club.

Sessegnon has been called up for the u21s, they probably want to keep that cohort developing together leading into the Euros in the summer, rather than bringing them through piecemeal. 

38 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Looks like Bournemouth are going to be the latest premier league team to be taken over by American owners.  

There's rumours that Plymouth Argyle might well be heading that way too in a number of years.  I trust our current owner not to shaft us though, he's a brilliant guy, local (move to the US and made his millions) and is a supporter.  We've had investment from the US and they're using it to build a training hub for the club - our current facilities are all over the City, renting gyms and 4G pitches.  We need that. 

Barnsley and Portsmouth are owned by US investors too off the top of my head.  

21 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Barnsley and Portsmouth are owned by US investors too off the top of my head.  

Doing this from memory but

Palace, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Fulham in the top flight.  Burnley, Barnsley, Portsmouth outside.

I want to add Southampton, Aston Villa and Sunderland to that list but I might be wrong.

58 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Doing this from memory but

Palace, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Fulham in the top flight.  Burnley, Barnsley, Portsmouth outside.

I want to add Southampton, Aston Villa and Sunderland to that list but I might be wrong.

Can chuck Ipswich Town into that list as well.