Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Why does every co-commentator have exactly the… same… weirdly clipped… way… of delivering… their… insight? Like a scientist straining to comprehend something unexplainable as they peer into a microscope. It’s a game of fucking football we don’t need to earnestly study it. Add a bit of salt and pepper and not bore the back end off me. I think Neville pioneered it, but everyone is at it now. Jenas, Carragher and Carney are amongst the other worst offenders though. Serious bloody business at all times.

I’m forcing myself to watch this to justify a Now TV subscription but that was just terrible. I don’t think Gerrard has the first clue of how to get a team playing football. Just a load of individuals doing their own thing and McGinn charging about smashing into people. 

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

I’m forcing myself to watch this to justify a Now TV subscription but that was just terrible. I don’t think Gerrard has the first clue of how to get a team playing football. Just a load of individuals doing their own thing and McGinn charging about smashing into people. 

He's completely clueless. He seems to think that having 1 DM means everyone else can attack. And that width can only come from the fullbacks. It's like watching playground football.

The bizarre thing is he stumbled on a system that worked against Citeh, just. So of course he completely abandons it in the next match.

Just now, spork said:

Because City are beating Wolves?

No just how easy it is for them in general now. They might draw a couple or even lose one. But it appears most teams are beaten before kick off. 

Even if they play badly, just hit it into the box for Haaland. 

Tell me genuinely who is challenging them this season? Certainly not Liverpool.

Just now, bradigor said:

No just how easy it is for them in general now. They might draw a couple or even lose one. But it appears most teams are beaten before kick off. 

Even if they play badly, just hit it into the box for Haaland. 

Tell me genuinely who is challenging them this season? Certainly not Liverpool.

I’m sure they will win the league, it’s just strange how everyone (mostly Liverpool fans) are doing this weird reaction as if it’s now set in stone that City are guaranteed to win the next 10 league titles by 30 points. 

This is their seventh league game of the season. They have already drawn to Newcastle and Villa. All of the games they have won are games you’d have expected them to win anyway. No one other than Arsenal fans thought Arsenal were going to win the league after winning their first 5 games. 

It’s a long season and anything can happen!

Mostly because that's Arsenal and this is City. 

I just can't see how we can continue to compete with them, with the way we do business and how they do it. 

I know it is a cycle and it will change but the next 3-4 years will be City domination I believe. 

I hope I am wrong.

17 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Why does every co-commentator have exactly the… same… weirdly clipped… way… of delivering… their… insight? Like a scientist straining to comprehend something unexplainable as they peer into a microscope. It’s a game of fucking football we don’t need to earnestly study it. Add a bit of salt and pepper and not bore the back end off me. I think Neville pioneered it, but everyone is at it now. Jenas, Carragher and Carney are amongst the other worst offenders though. Serious bloody business at all times.

My favourite thing was when Phil Neville was doing commentary for I think the first time at an international tournament and coupled the staggered delivery with whispered tones, like he was in a hiding in bunker from invading forces. 

They take on the weight of the world when they react to the game.

...also love a kung fu kick caught on camera where they always look inexplicable 

image.png.aba1d48f5fc4d39862b6ec00a47dec65.png

Just back from Norwich v WBA and my word that was a bad game, ive never seen a team so uninterested in playing football and time wasting after getting an early goal - it was painful to watch and poss idly the worst game ive ever seen live!

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Oh man, I saw the photo before the video, couldn't help finding that really funny, poor Grealish, that's the least disguised kung fu kick I think I've seen. Usually the photo is worse...nope. 

i pissed myself laughing cos I hadn’t seen the photo and started the video expecting something resembling a tackle :lol:

13 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Just back from Norwich v WBA and my word that was a bad game, ive never seen a team so uninterested in playing football and time wasting after getting an early goal - it was painful to watch and poss idly the worst game ive ever seen live!

Well... you did go to Carrow Road 😛