Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

After Villa's tentpole defender signing Diego Carlos did his Achilles in his second match and ended his season, it now appears our other big signing of the summer, Boubacar Kamara, has done his knee and will be out long term.

Villa can't have nice things.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

After Villa's tentpole defender signing Diego Carlos did his Achilles in his second match and ended his season, it now appears our other big signing of the summer, Boubacar Kamara, has done his knee and will be out long term.

do you wanna sign oxlade chamberlain and naby keita, two for one deal

18 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

@Loik V credernFewest clean sheets in a Premier League season: 

3 - Birmingham City (2007/08)
3 - Derby County (2007/08)
3 - Blackburn Rovers (2011/12)
3 - Norwich City (2011/12)

Birmingham, Derby (famously) and Blackburn all got relegated.  Norwich somehow managed to finish mid table. 

That actually surprises me, I began thinking it was silly to expect some bad teams to keep even one clean sheet, but it's not something I've ever looked at. Just thought..there's got to be a few 0-0s in their season at least, and I guess that's true. 

Just checked the score..did not see Son scoring a hat trick, less so in 30 minutes. Magnus Carlsen brought him in on his fantasy football wildcard this week of course. :hmm:

Does Rodgers want to be sacked?

This posted by a user on the guardian report was funny:

It's clear from the events of the season so far, up to and including today, that Leicester and Wolvea are both facing a tough season under their current set-ups.

My advice for both clubs is simple: swap managers over the international break.

Leicester can't defend but Bruno's side (usually) concede few goals. They struggle to score though and Brendan's attacking philosophy could be just what they need.

The two guys stay in the PL and both places are close enough that they don't even need to move house and their PL experience means less of a risk for the clubs than hiring that bloke that used to be at Shakhtar or whatever. Or even having to deal with the hassle of looking for another manager really.

In general it just means less messing about and if it doesn't work out then it'll be fun for the rest of us to watch and, anyway, The Championship is a good league too.

The Russian Foootball Union giving it real "Why was I banned and he wasn't? The mods are inconsistent!" energy here.

Russia is urging Uefa to ban the manager of the Ukraine men’s national team from football after he expressed a wish to fight Vladimir Putin’s invading forces, the Guardian can reveal.

23 hours ago, neoELITE said:

tenor.gif.cb2abdbb5d6ef50514d0f46c13bca74c.gif

TBF given that I'm not a fan of domestic Ukrainian football or the Italian leagues, I wasn't aware of his work. To their credit, Tifo have done 2 short videos on his tactics over the last 2 years which helps and it sounds like he has a similar approach to Potter although it remains to be seen if he's similarly adaptable. I guess we'll see. At least we didn't need to nab him from Shaktar Donetsk.

16 hours ago, bear said:

This seems to be getting more common where a club signs a partnership with a company that doesn't seem to operate in any meaningful way. 

Everyone's waiting for Newcastle to be sponsored by Saudi Bonesaws Inc.

On 17/09/2022 at 22:12, Chindie said:

Lucas Digne has broken his ankle.

:lol:

Club's cursed.

8 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Turkey are losing at home to...  Luxembourg?

It ended 3-3. That's a great result for Luxembourg. 

Does anyone care about or understand the point of this Nations League thing? 

It’s well trodden ground now, but basically it gets us away from the miasma of international friendlies and have sides of equal strength facing each other. I think it’s been a good addition to the calendar if we are comparing it to the old days.