IGNORED

Bubble Bobble

I know you could also wrap from the top to the bottom by jumping on bubbles in the otherwise ropey original Amstrad CPC version, so no idea on that one. As far as a completely ground-up homebrew creation goes though, it's damn impressive. It's very fun to actually play, like all the best versions.

19 hours ago, dumpster said:

Aw man alive, dip switches in the Arcade.  Sega Rally at Alton Towers, with the hyper car cheat, still only managing to hit every checkpoint with a second or less on the clock, the robbing bastards.  I considered a thread a while back on Arcade dip switches but thought it too niche to get any replies.   But if anyone fancies, go into Mame, play Gradius 3 (lapanese, that's important) and stick it on hard with the TAB key menu and dip switch settings.  A complete nightmare, and a hell of a challenge if you're up to it.  Also Contra has a similar "holy shit who are these enemies" setting that sticks new enemies you've never seen before right in the game from the start.

I am going to start such a thread right now. 

On 19/06/2022 at 11:28, carleton said:

We always got the full arcade cabinet in the office when we were doing conversions. We had Race Drivin’, APB, Hot Rod and Skull and Crossbones at various points. We never got any more details like source or art assets though. One member of staff recreated the whole APB map by having a Spectrum with a map editor next to the arcade club and painstakingly driving about. It’s a big map. We didn’t even have access to decent video recording equipment back then.

I worked with some of the Bubble Bobble guys at Software Creations but it was much later so I never really asked them about how they did it.

I'd always thought this was the case, and I think I've posted my thoughts on the subject in here a few times over the years, too. The majority of home computer arcade conversions are just so totally different to the arcade originals in terms of how they play, for there to be any source code involved. 

I'd love to find out how they did something like Bubble Bobble or Rainbow Islands, where the power-up system is so complex. It seems to me that source code or at least documentation of some kind must have been available in some cases. Rainbow Islands in particular is a very faithful conversion in terms of how things look and feel, even on the Spectrum. The Amiga version is pretty much arcade perfect (though not sure if it has the final levels). 

4 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I'd love to find out how they did something like Bubble Bobble or Rainbow Islands, where the power-up system is so complex. It seems to me that source code or at least documentation of some kind must have been available in some cases. Rainbow Islands in particular is a very faithful conversion in terms of how things look and feel, even on the Spectrum. The Amiga version is pretty much arcade perfect (though not sure if it has the final levels). 

A quick Google found all you need. Andrew Braybrooke documented exactly how Graftgold did it. Looks like Taito were very helpful. 

How Rainbow Islands was converted

In short, Taito supplied an arcade machine, source graphics and full documentation. Suspect the same applies to the Japanese Megadrive version as that does indeed seem arcade perfect. 

22 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

A quick Google found all you need. Andrew Braybrooke documented exactly how Graftgold did it. Looks like Taito were very helpful. 

How Rainbow Islands was converted

In short, Taito supplied an arcade machine, source graphics and full documentation. Suspect the same applies to the Japanese Megadrive version as that does indeed seem arcade perfect. 

Interesting, I didn't realise the reason they didn't implement the final 3 levels was that they didn't know they existed 

22 hours ago, Darwock said:

It was also noticeable that they couldn’t use their bubbles at the very top of the screen to get back on at the bottom - this was possible on the Atari ST version that I grew up with, but which way is correct?

I've spent far too much time comparing Tiny Bobble to the original arcade version now, I've just found it really compelling for some reason. Anyway, the main conclusion I can draw is in Tiny Bobble the jumping speed is slightly too fast, so that could maybe hinder the ability to get higher up a bit. But ultimately it's really absurdly close to the original considering it was apparently made completely from the ground up. Apart from the music and the player 2 attract animation, you have to really look for differences.

I might actually stop playing Bubble Bobble now :lol:

Stop playing Bubble Bobble? What is this blasphemy?

I had a lot of fun writing up a piece on why it’s the perfect game for the DD Zine a while back… and played a lot of Bubble Bobble along the way. It’s such a joyous mix of charm and challenge. 

On a modern format I say something like the Arcade Archives Bubble Bobble version on console is the best modern one. Most of the home port weren't truly arcade perfect the Saturn and PS1 versions were based on home computer ports. So the included version of Rainbow Island was based on the Amiga version which didn't have the three Secret Islands and you needed the continue book for robot island. Not sure which port Bubble Bobble was based on in that set, but some gameplay elements don't work the same as the original. Unless you are a heavy arcade player, you would miss the changes.

5 hours ago, DarhkFox said:

Slightly off topic, but didn't rainbow islands have hidden areas? I could never find them - i still think it was some kind of urban legend.

You could unlock three hidden Islands after the first seven, by getting all seven big gems. Each boss also had a hidden room you could enter if you collected all seven gems in order from left to right on that island. Which in some island like Doh's Arknoid one was very hard. You have to know where on screen you need the defeated enemies to land to get the correct gem and you also always get a power up instead of a gem on every 3rd enemy you defeat.

13 minutes ago, Riven said:

You could unlock three hidden Islands after the first seven, by getting all seven big gems. Each boss also had a hidden room you could enter if you collected all seven gems in order from left to right on that island. Which in some island like Doh's Arknoid one was very hard. You have to know where on screen you need the defeated enemies to land to get the correct gem and you also always get a power up instead of a gem on every 3rd enemy you defeat.

Well, no wonder I never found them that sounds pretty damn specific. Also, i did play the Amiga version so I'm not even sure if those were included?

I remember after weeks of trying, me and some friends used a trainer to get through the game (infinite lifes) but we could never beat the game as we could never get past a boss (vampire if i recall).  If only it had infinite health instead.

The PC Engine version of Rainbow Islands is fantastic. I still play it loads. It’s got all the hidden levels and Redbook audio. One of the hidden islands, Bubble Island is my favourite, featuring music and sprites from Bubble Bobble. Such a shame Bubble Bobble never got an official conversation to the PC Engine, even tho we got the two sequels :(

On 01/07/2022 at 21:56, electricmastro said:

So many versions of Bubble Bobble. Can't even begin to think what the best ones are.

SO1vAfY.png

I'd go with Arcade > Tiny Bobble on Amiga > Master System.

PC DOS version is also surprisingly decent.

If we can talk about newer versions, I suppose the most convenient way to play it these days would have to be the version on Bubble Bobble 4 Friends. 4 Friends itself is basically like a remake too, so I felt that was worth mentioning.

spacer.png

On 23/06/2022 at 14:57, DarhkFox said:

Well, no wonder I never found them that sounds pretty damn specific. Also, i did play the Amiga version so I'm not even sure if those were included?

I remember after weeks of trying, me and some friends used a trainer to get through the game (infinite lifes) but we could never beat the game as we could never get past a boss (vampire if i recall).  If only it had infinite health instead.

Not on any UK computer conversions, as far as I'm aware. Definitely not on the Amiga.

Just now, Gregory Wolfe said:

Not on any UK computer conversions, as far as I'm aware. Definitely not on the Amiga.

That would explain it then. There were so many rumours about it, i tried to find them so much on the Amiga version but clearly i was wasting my time! 

4 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

That would explain it then. There were so many rumours about it, i tried to find them so much on the Amiga version but clearly i was wasting my time! 

It would have been impossible to do by accident, and almost as much so with knowledge, and I think that's why the idea was never entertained. Plus the original development deadline. Who recalls the eventual release delay, due to the collapse of what was Telecomsoft (Firebird/Rainbird)?