Dragon's Dogma II - For reals, yo.

Kayin Amoh

4 Times I've bought the orginal game, and 3 times I've 100% completed it (PS4 is the only version I've not had time to play....yet!).

I've wanted a sequel for like forever. Please be as good as the orginal at least!

6 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

4 Times I've bought the orginal game, and 3 times I've 100% completed it (PS4 is the only version I've not had time to play....yet!).

I've wanted a sequel for like forever. Please be as good as the orginal at least!

Ditto. Original, DA on 360, PC, PS4, Switch and then Series X. All 100%, though Switch had no achievements.

First week I played it I hit it harder than anything I'd ever played since I was off work. Something ludicrous like 110 hours.

The day a patched PC version with the correct title music drops, I'm there.

(for clarity, I will obviously be there day one [unless something goes very wrong]. But I do hope a B'z filled version appears swiftly!) 

Yeeeeeeesss! What a palaver of an announcement though. All that dragged out to show a logo on a t-shirt.

The important thing is it's officially coming though!

Given the production quality of DMC5, Capcom's general level of care and attention to their tentpole releases of the past few years, and that Senpai Itsuno is there, I am confidently putting myself into the hyped bracket. Good excuse to replay the first. :D

The janky original is excellent. Please have the sequel keep Pawns yelling all the time, and the ability to pick up NPCs and toss em.

My biggest gripe with the game was the Bitterblack Isle DLC, I was never able to deal with Death's insta death attack, I spent more time reviving Pawns than fighting the boss. Lousy build on my part I'm sure.

7 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

It's on sale at the moment £3 odd I purchased it this morning. I have never played it.

Yeah, it's one of those things you immediately notice going back. Like 4:3 ratios after getting used to widescreen.

It's jarring at first, but you do get used to it after a while. Was surprised since nearly all my BC stuff on Series X now runs at 60, so I'd forgotten about it when I put it on after getting it cheap in a sale. PC's the only version running at 60+ right now.

10 hours ago, gospvg said:

It's on sale at the moment £3 odd I purchased it this morning. I have never played it.

I own it on PS4, just never got round to playing it.

I even had max stars on all the enemies on PC. Some of the knowledge was so convoluted to get your pawn to learn lol

Well chuffed about this! Like everyone, i bought the original then Dark Arisen on basically every platform ever. :lol:

Might re-visit my Max Level character on Switch, despite owning the PC version with all the funky mods.

I really hope it sticks to the template of the original game and doesn't get polluted by the souls like.

I know they are popular and objectively good, but I feel like it dominates the action RPG space now and frankly I am sick of them.

On 17/06/2022 at 16:03, gospvg said:

It's a ridiculous 86p through the Turkish store on PSN.

Gonna finally start DD1 for the first time ever tomorrow, on PC/Deck.

Anything game-related I should know going in? Top tips, or just dive in and enjoy the ride?

My top tip is stick with it. It does a terrible job of explaining its systems and the first few hours do nothing to sell the game. Once you get into the groove though, there’s really nothing else like it. Exploring the rolling hills and plains while your pawns chatter away. Happening upon gigantic enemies, climbing them to hack off their limbs and faces, being plucked off and thrown fifty feet through the air. Astonishing.

For the hardest laughs, I’d make your pawn brave, aggressive and arrogant. Some of the stuff they come out with while running headlong towards a massive enemy that far outmatches them is hilarious.

One of my favourite games to this day. Just picked it up again for a few quid on PlayStation, any excuse. This time I really must do Bitterblack. I’m excited for the sequel.

I'd also recommend choosing a Strider early on for additional movement and ranged options. You can pick and swap as you like as the game progresses, but climbing up ogres twice as fast or hitting harpies with five arrow bunches to the face at once is a screamingly excellent time.

I've no doubt many will say equal praise to the fighter and mage classes, but Strider was where it was at for me.

Oh, and a mage pawn early on is good for healing you up passively. What I only realized this past playthrough is that there's actually a DLC staff, probably on sale in the black cat where most of the DLC stuff landed in Dark Arisen, which will automatically bring your pawn back to life at half health. You never need to worry about resurrecting them mid-battle again, and it's really fun to have an immortal pawn watching your back.

If you want this, check the description of the staff. I think it mentions something about having a piece of an Arisen's heart in it, so they keep hopping right back up after a few seconds.

Picked Dark Arisen up on PC based on the recent hype and playing it on Deck.

About 7 hours in and really not feeling it. At Gran Soren doing the various Maximilian missions, but it’s all very dull. It’s a very bland looking game, just oceans of grey and brown. It’s very much 2 generations ago visually, that’s for sure. But I can look past that, and the copious jank, as its combat and gameplay are supposed to be the redeeming features.

But I’m not feeling them much either. Tedious side quests, annoying pawns, crap audio, poor UI, and the combat (so far) is all a bit button mashy and drawn out. Mind you, I hate MonHun games too for the same reason, so it’s likely just me on that front.

All that said, I’ll stick with it, at least until Act 2. I respect that it’s very much its own thing, and maybe it hasn’t really got into its stride yet. We’ll see.

MS gave me £4 store credit for some reason and this was less than that so picked it up.

Is there a decent starter tips video or article that anyone would recommend? Ordinarily I’d blunder in but I’m mindful that some people say it takes a while to get going. 

One thing that Dragons Dogma does which I feel you have to be aware of is that it has a day night cycle in which night is NIGHT. It becomes pitch black and you can bump into anything.

Also since dark arisen doesn't have Into Free -Dangan- it should be played first before each session...

Yeah, I get that people want to quick travel, but there's a very special feeling when you're out in the middle of nowhere then darkness falls and all of a sudden life's not so groovy. It's genuinely amazing how dangerous nightfall is for early level characters.

@Stopharage I'd say go in blind and have fun, but that's just because it's how I started it up. Youtube's bound to have some starting tips or 'I wish I'd known this before starting' clickbait. Strider's the most fun class for me, and a mage is always a great starting pawn to keep you topped up.