Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion

Broker

I bought this on launch with some preorder art card thrown in thinking I'd be invested in the story and gameplay, but I never stuck with it. All I remember is DIGITAL MIND WAVE.

I probably need to play the update in order to make sense of Remake/Reunion nonsense going forward.

This game got me through my first six months in Singapore, which was easily the hardest part of my life to date.

Some nice music, FMV, and character development. The endgame was an enjoyable grind, too.

*Raises hand* I've got a question.

I've only played Vanilla FF7, and bounced off the extended story the moment I finished Advent Children. I saw the trailers for everything announced today...

Who the feck is Zack?

Zack to me, is a man who finished his story before 7 even started. Why am I seeing almost more of him than Cloud now?

OH... And what the hell is going on in the "remake"?

Honest answer: no clue

Realistic answer: because REMEMBER 🤑

Also, what's with the titles?

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE EPISODE INTERmission which is the DLC pack

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE which is the Remake + DLC pack

CRISIS CORE FINAL FANTASY VII REUNION which judging by the title is stand alone

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH which is the second chapter of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

This is not going to get confusing at all 🙄

On 17/06/2022 at 19:42, ThePixelbarks said:

I've only played Vanilla FF7, and bounced off the extended story the moment I finished Advent Children. I saw the trailers for everything announced today...

Who the feck is Zack?

Zack to me, is a man who finished his story before 7 even started. Why am I seeing almost more of him than Cloud now?

OH... And what the hell is going on in the "remake"?

Zack is the fella from Cloud’s flashbacks.  Crisis Core being a prequel fleshes Zack's story out more; he’s a pretty key character in the overall story 

1 hour ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Who the feck is Zack?

Eh? Zack is the fulcrum of the Shyamalan-like twist 2/3rds through (original) FFVII. No one's going to spoil that for you, at least not here (I hope). For me that was the biggest "OMGWTF!" moment in the game.

Crisis Core goes deep into showing why Cloud's head is so fucked up at the beginning of FFVII. You could play Crisis Core first, but then all the initial confusion and eventual revelations on FF7 won't have anywhere near as much impact.

It sounds like you owe yourself a replay of FF7. Fuck the Remake. Get the PC version and install the 'Beacause' retranslation.

Beacause is a Final Fantasy VII relocalization. It is a complete retranslation and relocalization from the ground up, using the original Japanese script. The aim is to have an end product that is accurate and professional. Official sources have been used to minimize errors in context and spelling. The project's name "Beacause" comes from a misspelling (in the original localization) of the only line spoken by Jenova.

Wait a minute, if Square Enix managed to sort out everything with Gackt and they also own Taito....

I look forward to the three-part AAA Bujingai remake.

I never played the original version of this. I take it the combat system in this remake is completely different from the original? It looks very much like the combat from FF7R, which I loved. How did the original handle combat?

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I never played the original version of this. I take it the combat system in this remake is completely different from the original? It looks very much like the combat from FF7R, which I loved. How did the original handle combat?

It's more action-y, like Kingdom Hearts or a proto 7R. From what I remember it's more or less "real time" (no waiting for turn cooldowns), but you bind materia to some quick slots and two more slots handle your basic attack and your items (see below). You can select a particular slot with the shoulder buttons and hit X to confirm it. Materia and attacks are activated immediately (spells cost MP, of course), whilst the item selection brings up a menu. In practice you're running around hammering X whilst keeping an eye on what you've got selected with the shoulder buttons.

OVsJCno.jpg

Limit Breaks are handled by the Digital Mind Wave (yeah, I know) system. It's represented by a slot machine in the corner of the screen during battle, and as you fight it keeps spinning and seeing what combination the reels land on. Different combinations result in different perks - busting out a limit break, enabling temporary buffs or perks (shown below the reels) levelling up Zack's stats in some way, improving materia abilities - but from what I remember it's kind of left to chance so it ends up being an ignorable sideshow that's sometimes useful. Below is the "Single 7" result that grants Endure status.

h4edH88.gif

That's what I recall from my foggy '08 recollections but I could have misremembered bits :blah: so someone's welcome to come in and correct me.

14 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

So does this remake/remaster/revisit actually have the exact same combat as the PSP game, going by the footage?

It looks quite a bit faster than I remember, plus they seem to be making use of the extra controller inputs so you aren't linearly cycling through actions. I'd guess the basic combat mechanics are the same but they've rebalanced/retuned everything.

On 17/06/2022 at 18:04, Qazimod said:

I bought this on launch with some preorder art card thrown in thinking I'd be invested in the story and gameplay, but I never stuck with it. All I remember is DIGITAL MIND WAVE.

I probably need to play the update in order to make sense of Remake/Reunion nonsense going forward.

I mean Nomuras involved, that's to be expected.

I completely forgot how bad the PSP game looked. My memories are influenced by the cool as hell Cutscenes.

I thought Cissnei was a great addition and the scenes towards the end with her are so bitterweet.

I'm excited to see it get a release, and despite there are aspects of the game that are absolutely amazing,  I've found my tastes changing over the years and I have increasingly less time to play games nowadays so I'm not sure if I will pick it up.

Oh and the soundtrack was cool. 

The Price of Freedom fit the game so well. 

https://youtu.be/mfeMOY9ifjI

EDIT:

I Still have my damn GAME preorder/promo poster from the original release. (It's been sat in a drawer for a decade and a half 😭).

On 18/06/2022 at 21:16, carlospie said:

Zacks voice actor is a terrible match 

I thought that at first, but as the character matures so does the VA. Or maybe I just got used to it.

• 1 month later...

Crisis Core holds such a special place for me.  I only played through it once but it was one of those games that made me so glad I bought the system it was on.  Can't wait to revisit it.

For anyone who is a bit confused about Zack or why anyone cares I strongly recommend playing original FF7 again before it comes out.  With all the 2x 3x speed and all that it's a cinch to play through these days and well worth the effort :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it does seem to have slipped under the radar a bit. The reviews have got me interested again, but not enough to rush out and buy it. It appears to have been priced at cheaper than full price, however; a couple of places are doing the console version for about £45. The PC version is £30 at CD Keys.