Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

I think previously I put the format on the game details, but I think that's fairly superfluous now, especially what with many appearing on multiple formats and re-releases.

On 18/06/2022 at 14:44, Benny said:

The jury is out on whether the best game in the series is the original Soulcalibur or Soulcalibur II, but based on voting at least, it’s the first game that captured the most hearts and minds.

Any jury that would put Soul Calibur 2 ahead of Soul Calibur 1 should be sentenced to life in prison!

I may not understand how juries work.

I think the second game was better tuned for vs bouts, but the original of course is far better as far as single player goes with the vast amount to unlock and play with.

I mean, if 2 had had a customisable intro cutscene then it might have been in with a shot. The game's true killer feature.

Ah, I'm very happy to see P:T finally make a top 100. Hopefully a reflection of the rerelease introducing it to a wider audience; it's my favourite D&D-based RPG (and, by extension, my favourite Infinity Engine game), and I'm surprised it stayed away so long. Sod the breadth of BGII; as with Shenmue and Thief, what I really want from an adventure is a world that's narrow and deep; density over scale, any day!

Also, who wouldn't love a game that gives you this goofus as your first companion?

image.png.0963722d74cff7ab1fd135da115b9d8f.png

I have generally reserved external commentary for games I haven't actually played. Though in this case there were very few comments added to most voting posts and usually only a few lines for them in those cases.

Thanks for hosting the poll.  I'm looking forward to the results.  Would it be possible for you to include the number of votes and/or points that each game received, as you post the results?

I mean, I guess that depends on what was wrong with the Android version, as I believe that's just a port of the "enhanced edition" that exists on other platforms! 

I'd say that the PC version is still the best — Infinity Engine games can't escape the fact they were designed around a mouse interface. It's sub-£5 on GOG and should run on a potato.

I believe the Switch version is pretty buggy, unfortunately, so if that's the issue you had with the android version then you may want to avoid it. I don't believe the PS4 version is so afflicted however, so that's an option if you can look past the controls. 

I must go back to Doom Eternal, loved the first 4-5 hours I played of it. Regarding the reverse shift from no-lore in Doom 2016 to seemingly taking it all seriously in Eternal - the more I think about it the more I reckon iD were taking the piss in a different way with the sequel. You read any of those backstory notes and they are completely off the wall bonkers, there’s no way that’s not a joke. 

55 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, I guess that depends on what was wrong with the Android version, as I believe that's just a port of the "enhanced edition" that exists on other platforms! 

I'd say that the PC version is still the best — Infinity Engine games can't escape the fact they were designed around a mouse interface. It's sub-£5 on GOG and should run on a potato.

I believe the Switch version is pretty buggy, unfortunately, so if that's the issue you had with the android version then you may want to avoid it. I don't believe the PS4 version is so afflicted however, so that's an option if you can look past the controls. 

Cheers. The touch controls on the Android version are what let it down, I think.

4 hours ago, mjf said:

Thanks for hosting the poll.  I'm looking forward to the results.  Would it be possible for you to include the number of votes and/or points that each game received, as you post the results?

I have very purposefully not done this this time to preserve some mystery.

On 24/06/2022 at 09:04, Qazimod said:

No forumite commentary this time? Or did nobody leave comments for these entries?

I would usually but I think most people were too worried it would screw with the formatting.

The thing about Doom Eternal is that while it does diverge and do new things, it also does all the old things much better.

The one criticism I had of Doom 2016 was that it didn’t replicate the overwhelmingly large number of demons of the original. Doom Eternal does.

14 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I would usually but I think most people were too worried it would screw with the formatting.

That was why I suggested people put commentary underneath it. I wasn't the barrier in this case at least :lol:

14 minutes ago, Benny said:

That was why I suggested people put commentary underneath it. I wasn't the barrier in this case at least :lol:

Yeah, I know you said that but as hardly anyone did, that’s that’s the only reason I can think of. 

Thank you for all these excellent and very entertaining write-ups @Benny :)

Also, hooray for Planescape Torment! One of my all-time favourites. Until Disco Elysium came along, it was my default go-to example whenever the subject of good videogame writing came up.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Now, personally, I would have preferred to see Alpha Centauri here, but that game is long since lost to the mists of space it seems, alas.

Once again, proving you have excellent taste, Benny.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

It’s somewhat surprising that Mario Kart 64 has actually relatively gone UP in people’s estimations in the last 5 years. Call it simply increased nostalgia, or just a recognition of how much fun it can still be, especially in Battle Mode (the best one in the series).

I missed my chance to vote in the poll, but I've played all of the Mario Kart games and Mario Kart 64 is my favorite (followed by Super Mario Kart).  I mostly play time trials mode.  I haven't spent much time on the other modes.  I think Mario Kart 64 has the best designed driving physics.  Most of the other games have mechanics that I don't like.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!