Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

22 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Great thread. But I'd also like to suggest perhaps next time we do this, we open up the blerb to people who know the game intimately if @Benny doesn't know the game that well. I would have lept at the opportunity to write the Wave Race 64 summary, as its one of, if not my favourite racing game of all time.

I mean if anyone had actually written a review of it in the voting thread it might have gone in. I did encourage it at the time. If you didn't leap at the opportunity then, well, I can't herd cats every time. The "rules" were hard enough for most people as it was :lol:

Somehow I always forget just how these polls get for me the closer we get to number 1! Five games in a row with an almost linear trajectory from love to hate.

Also it's not really a collaboration*. This is entirely for my own amusement, or there's no chance I'd put myself through all this again :lol:

Spoiler

*Jolly got summoned with dark magiks.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Also it's not really a collaboration*. This is entirely for my own amusement, or there's no chance I'd put myself through all this again :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

*Jolly got summoned with dark magiks.

Sure, but it feels a little disingenuous to not write something that gets to the heart of a game charting on this list, if you didn't personally like it.

Not that I don't appreciate it. Also, yeah, I didn't really read the rules. Too much like hard work. 

Spoiler

😉

From experience, it's not disingenuous — it's more than a little tricky to write something that gets to the heart of a game you haven't played or dislike,* so you have to rely on people leaving comments when they vote for a game. And if nobody does so, well, *shrug*

*unless it's to get to the heart of why you dislike it, but for some reason people seem to take against that in these threads

I'm pretty fair with most of the games. I think you're mistaking the thread for something more democratic: everything in here is essentially my own work so it's all personal takes, after all. There's not exactly a "we"* doing this, so it's entirely subjective.

If it was a book you could take it back, but in this thread, I am God. Muhahaha.

On 05/08/2022 at 11:03, Benny said:

I went back to Banjo-Kazooie very recently with, oddly enough, the express purpose of revisiting it for potentially honouring it in this list with a HOTPICK.

I think Banjo Kazooie is a good game.  It's not quite as good as Super Mario 64, but it's still better than most 3D platformers.  It has good level design and good music, and I also liked the humor.

On the other hand, I recently tried to play Crash Bandicoot 2.  It seemed to me very primitive compared to Super Mario 64, despite being made 1 year later.

I like Mario kart 8, it’s very good, but I am always surprised people rank it quite this highly. It has some amazing tracks and is the most comprehensive in the series. But the local multiplayer is not great and in terms of the pure racing I think it’s only the fourth or fifth best Mario Kart. It’s basically slightly too slow and hence too easy to take the perfect racing line, there isn’t quite enough jeopardy. I’d actually place Super, 64, Super Circuit and possibly even Double Dash ahead (you may laugh at Double Dash, but it’s actually one of the best time trial games in the series).

3 minutes ago, FalconGR said:

I like Mario kart 8, it’s very good, but I am always surprised people rank it quite this highly. It has some amazing tracks and is the most comprehensive in the series. But the local multiplayer is not great and in terms of the pure racing I think it’s only the fourth or fifth best Mario Kart. It’s basically slightly too slow and hence too easy to take the perfect racing line, there isn’t quite enough jeopardy. I’d actually place Super, 64, Super Circuit and possibly even Double Dash ahead (you may laugh at Double Dash, but it’s actually one of the best time trial games in the series).

I think the Mario Kart game I actually played the most was probably Mario Kart 7. And portability goes a long long way.

Before I forget, following the Tomb Raider love-in, I'd like to direct people to @Sprite Machine's excellent exploration of that game as well as the others in that early reboot trilogy in the Retro folder:

Don't worry, they don't all bite in there.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

I think the Mario Kart game I actually played the most was probably Mario Kart 7. And portability goes a long long way.

7 is also excellent - it was my go to game on flights for many years due to the ease of taking a 3DS. I still often play Super Circuit to this day, it’s perfect for playing whilst watching tv at the same time. I think the Wii game is the only bad one, and the DS one was ruined a little by snaking. 

I skimmed through the votes the other day and it seems obvious that Zelda will take the win again. However, I’m keen to find out where the From games end up; I always assume DS1 (aka the one I didn’t enjoy) will be the most popular, but it’ll be interesting to see just how close ER (and maybe even BB) are in comparison.

I thought MK8 would make the top ten. It’s just an astonishingly good and inclusive game. Anyone can play it and have fun - it has auto steer for toddlers yet enough depth to the controls to allow for some amazing feats by masters of the game. 48 courses of incredible variety, tonnes of unlockables to keep you playing (as if you needed any excuse), online gaming that just works, local split screen hilarity, and a Luigi meme that is stil funny. It’s just amazing. I think Nintendo will struggle to top it with MK9, they’ve made the best racing game possible, hence why they keep

supporting it. 

And it’s over 8 years old now and I still don’t think there is a better looking video game on any of the new systems. It’s beautiful. 

I’m excited to see the top 10. Based on what we’ve seen so far I’m betting on Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, Resi 4, Halo and Super Mario World. Not sure what the other 4 will be, maybe a better GTA game? Mario Galaxy 2? Half Life? Bioshock? Street Fighter 3 or 4?

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I’m excited to see the top 10. Based on what we’ve seen so far I’m betting on Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, Resi 4, Halo and Super Mario World. Not sure what the other 4 will be, maybe a better GTA game? Mario Galaxy 2? Half Life? Bioshock? Street Fighter 3 or 4?

Some "Elden Ring" game came out recently I think; seems popular. 🤔

I'm surprised to see Ocarina of Time outside the top 10.  In most "best game ever" polls it's in the top 3.

It's impressive that Nintendo managed to do so many things right on their first try.  It was the first 3D Zelda, but it would take Nintendo 19 more years to make another Zelda game as universally acclaimed as OoT.

I think OoT has very good dungeon design.  I think even the water temple, which many people consider the worst dungeon, has a better design than most dungeons found in other games.  I guess the boots are the only flaw, but they fixed that in the 3DS version.

OoT has great storytelling as well, and I think it's more emotional and more memorable than any other game I can think of.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

Running out of genres for the HOTPICKS now...

I'm not sure if you're taking suggestions, but how about Okami?  Probably the best Zelda-like game that isn't a Zelda game.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!