Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

I got on with the C64 version just fine, I didn’t even know what lag and frame rate were back then, I was just so overwhelmed to be playing it at all having watched it for ages on the schools BBC Micro during computer club. 

4 hours ago, Benny said:

I strongly believe people’s favourite of the “trad” Zelda games is quite closely linked to which of the 8, 16 or 64 bit games in the series they grew up with. See, I never had a SNES, so my first was actually Ocarina of Time, and even though I went back and tried A Link to the Past later, it never quite captured the magic I felt from my N64 introduction.

A Link to the Past was my 4th Zelda game, and it's my favorite.  My first 3 were The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, and Ocarina of Time.

A Link to the Past does just about everything perfectly, imo.

- It has the best dungeon design of the entire franchise.  Having multiple floors was a big improvement compared to the first game, and allows for more complex dungeons.

- It's 2D, so it's easy to see everything around you, and you don't have to worry about annoying camera angles.

- It has the best combat system of any SNES game.  Other games have tried to do something similar e.g. Secret of Mana and Terranigma, but they just feel like cheap imitations to me, whereas A Link to the Past implemented the combat perfectly.

- The pegasus boots.  I wish more games had pegasus boots.

- It has a great implementation of parallel worlds, I think even better than Ocarina of Time, because you can easily go back and forth, so it's less tedious than Ocarina of Time where you have to keep going back to the Temple of Time.

- I guess the only thing Ocarina of Time does better is the story and cutscenes, but A Link to the Past's minimal story could be considered a good thing, because it lets you focus more on the gameplay.  But still, I wonder what A Link to the Past would've been like if it had more of a story.

Yesss. Always glad to see Rez getting recognition. Just a perfect game, inasmuch as it entirely executes its aims. And also inasmuch as it features the best use of a California Soul sample put to record.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Yesss. Always glad to see Rez getting recognition. Just a perfect game, inasmuch as it entirely executes its aims. And also inasmuch as it features the best use of a California Soul sample put to record.

Oh really? 

Same here, all versions. DC at launch, PS2 later, HD, then Infinite. My most completed game by some margin; or alternatively, one of my most listened to albums of all time, that just so happens to be an interactive visual experience.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Oh really? 

I mean, that's a good track, but it doesn't put me in a transcendental state of mind so it's a second-place finish I'm afraid.

I remember absolutely falling in love with LttP to a massive extent. I’d never felt emotions like that over anything inanimate before, it was pretty weird.

That was the first time I got that weird conflicted “I love this game and don’t want it to end” emotion. During the epic final dungeon I was reminiscing about all the previous ones. That ending was the cherry on top as well. From this game onwards every single other game purchase has been an attempt to recapture those emotions and that magic, and I can only think of maybe a handful of games off the top of my head that’ve been able to do just that in the thirty years since. :(

To this day I’ve never completed a run with all 20 hearts. I’ve completed it many times with 19+ but never the whole 20. I’m saving that for later.

It’s one of those games that I can’t wait for my son to get old enough to play. He’s a couple of years off yet.

”Worth owning a SNES Mini for”, bollocks. It’s worth buying a Super NT for.

I think Rez was in my shortlist but I got scared of messing up the naming so it ended up sub-20. I did play the DC version once and even that was fun if you got over the framerate issues and data access moments, but HD tidied things up and provided what I thought would be a definitive version… right up until Infinite.

Almost like the little in-game avatar itself, the game went through a fascinating evolution from Vibes/K-Project (zero form) to DC, PS2, HD, Infinite, Infinite on PC… Who knows what it’s final form might be :D 

24 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think Rez was in my shortlist but I got scared of messing up the naming so it ended up sub-20. I did play the DC version once and even that was fun if you got over the framerate issues and data access moments, but HD tidied things up and provided what I thought would be a definitive version… right up until Infinite.

Almost like the little in-game avatar itself, the game went through a fascinating evolution from Vibes/K-Project (zero form) to DC, PS2, HD, Infinite, Infinite on PC… Who knows what it’s final form might be :D 

I played both DC and PS2 versions, thought never Rez HD as I didn't own an Xbox 360. I have Rez Infinite though and PSVR of course. I'm guessing the PC version of Infinite isn't much different. (Other than obviously far more horsepower for 4K and VR. Okay to be fair that is another quite big evolution)