Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

Great write up. I still think that the first Dark Souls takes a huge dip post-fast travel - as suddenly it’s no longer designed to wrap around itself and the level design isn’t nearly as inspired - but arguably it only highlights how special the game is up to that point.

The whole Depths/Blight Town sequence is perhaps the most immersed and terrified time I’ve spent in all of gaming and will always remain vivid in my mind. It wouldn’t work if you weren’t effectively trapped and past the point of no return. Eventually finding your way back to Firelink truly does feel like returning home after a long and exhausting adventure.

Genuinely surprised that this hasn't ended up as the default favourite Soulsbornekiroring this time. Well, unless the other obvious From candidates didn't make it in at all.

I played and enjoyed the sequels so I can appreciate the mechanics from a general level but the first game never really resonated with me and I barely got out of the baby starter areas. I had more fun with Sekiro ffs. :P I will get around to trying it again another time. Honest.

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

Great write up. I still think that the first Dark Souls takes a huge dip post-fast travel - as suddenly it’s no longer designed to wrap around itself and the level design isn’t nearly as inspired - but arguably it only highlights how special the game is up to that point.

The whole Depths/Blight Town sequence is perhaps the most immersed and terrified time I’ve spent in all of gaming and will always remain vivid in my mind. It wouldn’t work if you weren’t effectively trapped and past the point of no return. Eventually finding your way back to Firelink truly does feel like returning home after a long and exhausting adventure.

I always feel that the quality of the game post lordvessel is understated. I feel like it makes a logical kind of sense that when you’re going to the most forbidding, farthest extremities of the kingdom that they wouldn’t be the kind of places that you pop open a door from and find yourself back at firelink.

The game up to O&S has a very neat difficulty curve, but once you’ve overcome that it really takes on a different way of doing things. You’ve got the skills, but now you’re venturing into the most dangerous places the world has to offer. Can you use those skills in absolute darkness, or in a place where the floor hurts you and damages your armour, or in a place where you can’t fight the enemies without using a consumable item, or in a place where the floor is invisible? They’re like what other games use as ludicrous challenges to get optional items, but you’re forced to go through that. By the time you get to Gwyn you’re not just capable, you’re a worn down, beaten old badass, ready to face anything. 

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Genuinely surprised that this hasn't ended up as the default favourite Soulsbornekiroring this time. Well, unless the other obvious From candidates didn't make it in at all.

I played and enjoyed the sequels so I can appreciate the mechanics from a general level but the first game never really resonated with me and I barely got out of the baby starter areas. I had more fun with Sekiro ffs. :P I will get around to trying it again another time. Honest.

There’s no way Bloodborne isn’t on the list at all. It’s not possible. Rllmuk fucking loves that game. 

5 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Well, I reckon Dark Souls is a bit like the original Super Mario Bros. in how the series has developed. The elements are all there, but then you have the agile, more feature-complete and nicer looking Super Mario Bros. 3 in Bloodborne and the luxurious buffet of content that is Super Mario World in Elden Ring.

What I’m trying to say with my tortured analogy is that sometimes it’s harder to vote for the innovator in the face of their more accomplished progeny. 

(I guess that makes Demon Souls the original Mario Bros - the essence is there but not yet assembled into a flowing world. Not quite convinced by that one though…)

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I always feel that the quality of the game post lordvessel is understated. I feel like it makes a logical kind of sense that when you’re going to the most forbidding, farthest extremities of the kingdom that they wouldn’t be the kind of places that you pop open a door from and find yourself back at firelink.

The game up to O&S has a very neat difficulty curve, but once you’ve overcome that it really takes on a different way of doing things. You’ve got the skills, but now you’re venturing into the most dangerous places the world has to offer. Can you use those skills in absolute darkness, or in a place where the floor hurts you and damages your armour, or in a place where you can’t fight the enemies without using a consumable item, or in a place where the floor is invisible? They’re like what other games use as ludicrous challenges to get optional items, but you’re forced to go through that. By the time you get to Gwyn you’re not just capable, you’re a worn down, beaten old badass, ready to face anything. 

This is all really well put! I totally agree! 

I’ve always disagreed with the notion that the post Lord vessel content is lesser. It’s just less interlinking and it’s own layer of the design-onion. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

There’s no way Bloodborne isn’t on the list at all. It’s not possible. Rllmuk fucking loves that game. 

Whether votes got tallied was at the mercy of them being picked up by my algorithm remember...

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Whether votes got tallied was at the mercy of them being picked up by my algorithm remember...

The best timeline is the one where your algorithm decided "Bloodborne" was actually a typo of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and we have a surprise Troika game in the top 10.

20 minutes ago, Wiper said:

The best timeline is the one where your algorithm decided "Bloodborne" was actually a typo of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and we have a surprise Troika game in the top 10.

You have the best taste :wub:

Now I really want a surprise Troika game :(

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

wtf, for real? How long have you done that for? The same levels or custom ones?

Since coming back to Europe and settling. When I was abroad I’d strive for the best emulation settings because we never had the space for real hardware, so a bit like Gerbik, SMW was (and still is) my main benchmarking game for testing emulators and their response/latency. I really missed all of my old kit that I got rid of prior to the move, especially as I could never make myself happy with software emulation - it always felt off. It became a bit of an obsession and I spent a lot of time inside RetroArch messing with different filters, screens and controllers.

A year after returning I was lucky enough to find a BVM (currently R.I.P) going for cheap, so I grabbed a SFC from EBay with a copy of SMB4 and played it through two or three times. Finally, I didn’t have to fuck about with menus and settings anymore. Now I have a MiSTer right next to where I work, so whenever I fancy a break I’ll boot it up and most likely head into the SNES core. SMW is by far the easiest game to jump into for five or ten minute bursts, so that gets picked the most often. When I say I play it three times a week it’s probably a lot more than that, but they’re not full clears or anything - it’s 15mins max.

I only play the regular base game, although the one in my favourites folder is the SA-1 hack which removes the occasional slowdown and cleans up the frame timings.

I urge everyone to compare playing this game on real hardware or FPGA vs. a SNES Mini or RetroArch. It’s the one game which immediately benefits the most from lightning snappiness, where zero input latency makes the most noticeable difference.

I still have vivid memories of my first time seeing SMW. It was a Christmas day - can't remember exactly what year. I was young and had had a NES for a few years and very familiar with the Mario games on there. My brothers and I had just finished opening our Christmas presents when our parents said there was still one more to show us.

We left the living room  to go into the dining room/kitchen - the sliding door had been shut which was weird as that was never shut. As it was slid open we were greeted by a TV set up on the side unit with a brand new Super Nintendo hooked up to it with Super Mario World running. I still remember just being blown away by that title screen/animation because it was so colourful,  bright and vibrant compared to the NES games we had only ever experienced beforehand. 

And it played even better than it looked, a truly amazing game with a whole load of ace little secrets to find and challenging levels to perfect. It has always been one of my all time favourites and I can always find joy in returning to it whenever I do. 

I'm interested in playing Dark Souls, but I'm wondering which version I should play, the original or the remastered version?  I checked a comparison video, but it's hard to decide which one looks better.  I don't care about the online mode, since I'll be playing single-player.  Are there any other important differences that I should know about?

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

Oh yes it was, it's 96 exits! :quote:

70ish levels 

Probably over 100,000 levels if you include hacks.  Super Mario World has a huge hacking community.  I had a lot of fun playing hacks like Super Demo World: The Legend Continues and Mario's Keytastrophe.

4 hours ago, mjf said:

I'm interested in playing Dark Souls, but I'm wondering which version I should play, the original or the remastered version?  I checked a comparison video, but it's hard to decide which one looks better.  I don't care about the online mode, since I'll be playing single-player.  Are there any other important differences that I should know about?

I would just play the Remastered version, unless you want the true Dark Souls experience of dealing with a single digit frame rate in places, of course.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I would just play the Remastered version, unless you want the true Dark Souls experience of dealing with a single digit frame rate in places, of course.

I would also recommend going that route, it will be less of a pain ultimately. There have been many comments about how the remastered version does things to the visuals that have reduced the level of darkness etc and thus spoiling its distinctive look. I consider myself a bit of a visual aesthetic purist when it comes to From's games, but even I think it's not any where near as pronounced as some would have you believe and is a matter of personal taste.

I would go for whatever version is easiest to access. One big different with it was the jump from 30fps to 60fps, which again is a matter of taste, but it certainly removed some control frustrations in certain areas.

If you want the "classic" Dark Souls experience I think the easiest way to enjoy that now in a general release is the Switch version, which has the added bonus of being able to play it on the bog, like nature intended.