Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

21 minutes ago, Benny said:

HOTPICK #0

Aha! You thought the HOTPICKS were done? Well this one is the ultimate wildcard alright.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

(voted for by: Qazimod)

Woah, thank you so much! I'll admit that when I was thinking of contenders for my list the game kind of came from a random part of my mind, but the presentation, humour and ingenuity made it a very special experience for me and so I thought I'd stick it in there (at 17th on my list.) It's also got a great sense of balance - never as brutal as Ace Attorney's penalty system, and with puzzles that don't become dauntingly open-ended or patronisingly restrictive.

On 06/05/2022 at 14:37, Qazimod said:

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: I shouldn't really enjoy this game as much as I do. A hybrid of puzzling and storytelling, Ghost Trick should be the worst kind of game for a player as hopeless at cause-and-effect puzzling as me. That said, the game often gives the player just enough to get them going, but doesn't rob them of the satisfaction that comes from figuring something out. And just when you think you've seen every puzzle variation, it will surprise you again. Outside of the gameplay, the catchy tunes and "rotoscoped" animation style are ace, and the story is equal parts nonsense (in a good way) and compelling.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Somehow Ghost Trick completely passed me by but it sounds brilliant 

It absolutely is. And works perfectly through *cough* DeSmuME *cough*, Steam Deck fans...

But honestly though who doesn't have a Nintendo DS lying down the back of a sofa somewhere. But as for the game, it might be a bit cheaper to get on iOS by the looks of it, if it's still on the Apple app store

Officially* better than Dark Souls 1! ;) Insane.

I placed it 10th in my own vote. I ended up going through the base game of BB this February, and it's still a great experience. I think the only way a From game could impress me more would be if the cosmic horror was just one region of a wider whole in some kind of massive open world mashup of everything great about the studio's dark fantasy action RPGs...

Bloodborne. It's just perfect. I've had hour long discussions about it with my 13 year old son. Talking about the characters, the fights, the areas. It's the best video game. It works on every single level beyond what a video game should do. That it then wraps it up in Lovecraft madness and then adds to it with the single best DLC ever makes it inarguably the best game ever made. There's nothing more satisfying than parrying Martyr Logarius in the face. There's nothing more satisfying taking on Lady Maria of the Astral Tower. Fuck everything else. It's the best game. And the fact that it is confident that it hides so much amazing content in side areas... It is the best video game. 

When I played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, it reminded me of another DS game, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.  Both games combine puzzles and storytelling, and both have supernatural elements.  999 has a remastered version, available on Steam as part of Zero Escape: The Nonary Games.

999 is a sci-fi thriller where you solve escape room puzzles to escape from a sinking ship, although I enjoyed it more for the story than the puzzles (it has a great story and great dialogue).

8 minutes ago, mjf said:

When I played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, it reminded me of another DS game, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.  Both games combine puzzles and storytelling, and both have supernatural elements.  999 has a remastered version, available on Steam as part of Zero Escape: The Nonary Games.

999 is a sci-fi thriller where you solve escape room puzzles to escape from a sinking ship, although I enjoyed it more for the story than the puzzles (it has a great story and great dialogue).

It's not Bloodborne though, is it. So, ya know... Who cares.

I really liked Bloodborne. It filled my yearning desire for a 3D Castlevania.

Although I couldn't play it beyond the platinum. I'd more than had my fill of everything the gameplay had to offer by that point, and I have no desire to play it again - or any other FROM game for that matter.

Unless they do a Monster Hunter copy at some point. That's something I'd very much like them to attempt.

I’m going to have to skip finding out what the top 4 are for now and leave the thread, as I haven’t finished Elden Ring yet and know from experience that spoilers can get you in the most innocuous places. Unless Benny promises not to talk about it or post any screenshots.