Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

I imagine there's a few of us, at least among those who has the chance to play the original! It's the music that really leaps out as wrong, but I earnestly believe the graphics are much diminished too; the original is somehow more characterful, and benefits from not having textures aliasing unpleasantly at range.

It's a bit of a theme with Lucasarts games, oddly — where they had "upgraded" rereleases they often seemed to lose something. See e.g. CD-ROM Loom, which both looked dramatically worse than the original, and literally lost a chunk of its dialogue because they shrank it down to accommodate voice acting. Remasters, messing things up since 1992!

I've actually updated the first pic as it had a textured ship on it. Gotta go with RAW.

Incidentally, the GoG version includes all versions of the game released, including the original DOS collector's CD edition which is I think the best. The best way to play is through something like DOSBox Pure, with a Roland MT-32 or AWE32 equivalent synth soundfont for General Midi added.

That also reminds me that I really need to set the Roland SC-88 I bought from Treble some years back up again — I haven't had a chance since moving house! I'm overdue a blast of some MIDI goodness.

90s PC gaming was such a unique and special thing, given how much the sound chips equated to a completely different sounding game for everyone depending on what they had. It's one of the hardest of nostalgic gaming experiences to emulate today I think, even compared to emulation of old arcade, home-micro or console games. (Aside from unique peripherals)

12 minutes ago, Wiper said:

That also reminds me that I really need to set the Roland SC-88 I bought from Treble some years back up again — I haven't had a chance since moving house! I'm overdue a blast of some MIDI goodness.

Is there anyone who hasn't bought something from @Treble?  🤣

He always seems to sell the coolest stuff. Me and mate put together and bought a Capcom branded JAMMA arcade cabinet from his mate, which had a PVM tube transplanted into it and came with Warzard/Red Earth. That board was DOA unfortunately; but that was, and still is, the coolest purchase of my life.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

90s PC gaming was such a unique and special thing, given how much the sound chips equated to a completely different sounding game for everyone depending on what they had. It's one of the hardest of nostalgic gaming experiences to emulate today I think, even compared to emulation of old arcade, home-micro or console games. (Aside from unique peripherals)

Yeah, the fancy Roland audio is a weirdly specific nostalgia for me, as it's nostalgia for a friend's PC setup! We weren't nearly so fancy, so when I played at home it was the somewhat more normal Soundblaster audio I got to enjoy.

I think I had a 486DX2-66, which was upgraded as soon as we got it with a Soundblaster-32 (sounded very near as good as AWE32 apparently) and CD drive. And some Yamaha speakers. I think it was these ones, they actually sounded really good: 

hqdefault.jpg

DOS gaming heaven.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I think I had a 486DX2-66, which was upgraded as soon as we got it with a Soundblaster-32 (sounded very near as good as AWE32 apparently) and CD drive. And some Yamaha speakers. I think it was these ones, they actually sounded really good: 

hqdefault.jpg

DOS gaming heaven.

Think my dad might still use those speakers

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Fortnite is so weird, an abject failure that somehow by chance ended up being the biggest game of all time. 

Doubly bemusing to me, who actually enjoyed the failed, paid for mode, and has never played the free-to-play PUBG knock-off mode.

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Fortnite is so weird, an abject failure that somehow by chance ended up being the biggest game of all time. 

You have to give the team at Epic some credit here. They managed to pivot their game to a different play-type and keep it still relevant for years. If it was that easy to make a metoo clone, somebody else would have eaten their lunch by now. Certainly plenty of other developers and publishers have tried to clone with a twist popular ideas with much less success.

Appealing to children probably helped them get one over the original populariser of the concept, plus PUBG doesn't play quite the same anyway.

7 minutes ago, mushashi said:

You have to give the team at Epic some credit here. They managed to pivot their game to a different play-type and keep it still relevant for years. If it was that easy to make a metoo clone, somebody else would have eaten their lunch by now. Certainly plenty of other developers and publishers have tried to clone with a twist popular ideas with much less success.

Appealing to children probably helped them get one over the original populariser of the concept, plus PUBG doesn't play quite the same anyway.

Yeah totally, and it’s weirdness with the base building, the thing that the original game was built upon, is ultimately what differentiates it and made it a success (probably also helped them win court battles!) 

I kind of love that because it’s something you just can’t ever hope to copy successfully, it’s always going to be contrived.

I’ve not played Fortnite for years - how is the no-building mode? I don’t have a battle royale installed at the moment but I might install it if it’s decent and accessible for a now and again blast because CoD is about 120GB. 

I think this place is beholden to nostalgia way too much and a good number of sacred cows from yesteryear (such as Halo and Shenmue) fell off my all-time top 20 list when I compiled it for this poll, but rllmuk's love for Resident Evil 4 rightly endures and it's so firmly lodged in my all-time top 10 that I don't think it'll ever leave. Probably the most consistently fun and entertaining game ever made. Great write-up.

My GameCube is back under the telly atm for reasons, and when I went through my little wallet of tiny discs to find something good for the kids, there was RE4. (not that I’m suggesting it’s good for the kids)

I’ve never played beyond the first 30 minutes - started it once with a mate taking turns on the controller, and he shat himself and ran through the opening section without exploring anything. I became convinced that I had missed out on loads of stuff we should have seen, and never loaded it up again.

I have it sitting right here and could play it tomorrow, but is it better to wait for the coming remake at this late stage?