Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

11 hours ago, robdood said:

Doom being as low as it is is shameful.

Like, Mario Kart sixty-four is better than Doom?! 

Unbelievable. 

I think no one is arguing MK64 being better than Doom, the thing to remember is that it's likely that a bigger chunk of the active forumites played MK64 than Doom, at least when they were released. Back in 1993, a PC wasn't something you'd find in a lot of households let alone one that was able to successfully run Doom. 

Even though the N64 wasn't something the majority of gamers owned, the fact that you could play up to four players locally made it a lot more likely that you knew someone who had the game and could enjoy it even if you didn't have your own N64/copy of the game. 

So yeah, Doom is the better game for sure but it didn't get as many votes. If we'd done a "Score your top 20 games" my list would've looked completely different, tbh. 

22 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I think no one is arguing MK64 being better than Doom, the thing to remember is that it's likely that a bigger chunk of the active forumites played MK64 than Doom, at least when they were released. Back in 1993, a PC wasn't something you'd find in a lot of households let alone one that was able to successfully run Doom. 

Even though the N64 wasn't something the majority of gamers owned, the fact that you could play up to four players locally made it a lot more likely that you knew someone who had the game and could enjoy it even if you didn't have your own N64/copy of the game. 

So yeah, Doom is the better game for sure but it didn't get as many votes. If we'd done a "Score your top 20 games" my list would've looked completely different, tbh. 

And, the pool of games in their respective genres is different.

In the world of kart racers you've basically got the Mario ones and a very small number of others.

FPSes are like a virus. Everywhere. So samey and dull.

Then most people I think want some level of balance in their list. Regardless of spending most of their time playing one genre they don't put the same proportion of titles in their list. Maybe 8 match three games is too many even if they consume 90% of your playtime. So something like Doom, as important as it might be, or as good as it still is to many has to compete in anyone who votes of FPSes against all the other good ones. Meanwhile Mario Kart is basically pick your favourite one and put that in your list.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If only you could talk to the karts

Double Dash was the only Mario Kart game about making friends and forming alliances with another character sharing your kart.

I don't understand why people are having this argument at all. Everyone who voted voted for their top 20. Most people didn't put Mario kart 64 or doom in their top 20. The data on whether most people prefer one or the other isn't there. If everyone voted for their top 100 it would be a different story. Most likely, nobody would bother to vote for their top 100 games because that's too many games.

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I have an ever evolving iPhone Note with my top 100 games :blush:

Do you re-evaluate the whole of it occasionally?

Do games that get knocked out go into a second list be re-considered?

I think the real challenge with these sort of lists is that the cult of the new means games might get in at a spot on first play but over time they should maybe be moving down the list faster than new stuff is coming in  as the sheen rubs off.

54 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I have an ever evolving iPhone Note with my top 100 games :blush:

Good man. Tempts me to make a similar thread for a top 100, with the twist that every voter must submit a full top 100. Then, when only we can be arsed to fill it out, we guarantee Rez tops the list! There are only upsides to this idea.

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

Can you imagine having to list 100 games with my rules. Or attempting to collate them without them...

You'll take your separate low-ranking entries for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild; The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild; The Legend of Zelda — Breath of the Wild; The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild; Zelda: Breath of the Wild; Breath of the Wild; Zelda: BOTW; and BOTW; and you'll like them.

14 hours ago, robdood said:

Doom being as low as it is is shameful.

Like, Mario Kart sixty-four is better than Doom?! 

Unbelievable. 

Its not like one person has curated and ranked this list, it’s conglomerated from those who participated on the forum…

Also MK64 is life.

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

I think no one is arguing MK64 being better than Doom

I wasn't  but it is. Maybe not as important or good at times of respective releases but based on today I'd say MK64 is the better game. Doom was a more important game but has been bettered and improved upon by lots of FPSs since, whereas I'd say MK64 is still one of the best kart racers. Also Doom doesn't have four player Block Fort Battle. 

I always think MK64 gets a harder time than the quality of the actual game deserves.

Then again I may be biased as recall driving to Milton Keynes late one night to meet a guy I knew who did import games to pay him £110 for a fresh boxed copy of the Japanese version just a few days after it launched, it did though have the cool all black controller with it.

Likewise Super Street Fighter II on the SNES is should rank highly as I recall giving Shakhana in Wood Green a ton for that as well. 

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!