Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

Ask and ye shall receive @Couch Corpse

A long time ago, way back in the 90’s, many competitors tried to gun for Nintendo’s top position in the handheld market. According to Gunpei Yokoi, this didn’t escape Nintendo’s notice. Because every so often, a nervous sales rep would come up to Yokoi to inform him of yet another new handheld that was about to enter the market. 

After a while, Yokoi thought of a simple question that would answer whether or not the competition was up to the task of dethroning the Game Boy.

“Does it have a colour screen?”

And pretty much every single time, the answer that shot out of the sales rep was a resounding and panicked “YES!!!”. At which point Yokoi would cut the conversation short and walk off, laughing out loud and feeling sorry for the competitor no doubt.

“But wait a minute.” you might say. “What’s wrong with having a colour screen? Surely that would have been the best way to beat the old busted tech of the Game Boy? This Yokoi chap sounds a bit arrogant.”

That sounds like a fair assessment, until you realize that only the Game Boy had Pokémon. Only the Game Boy had Link’s Awakening. But most important of all: only the Game Boy had Donkey Kong ‘94’. And Donkey Kong '94 never needed a colour screen to show how brilliant it was.

Because where so many handheld games felt so incredibly slight back in the day, Donkey Kong ‘94 reveals where Nintendo priorities lay with the handheld market: deliver absolute quality in a handheld format that felt equal to the best consoles had to offer.

Because Donkey Kong ‘94 is not content with giving you the original arcade experience in handheld form. Oh no. Not when Shigeru Miyamoto is on directing/producing duties. You see, Dk94 goes ahead and puts in an entire adventure mode complete with varied boss stages and amazing chiptunes. All this and challenging your platforming/puzzle solving skills to boot in under 2,5 minutes per level!

But wait! It gets even better, because never was Mario this nimble in a platformer before. Next to his usual jump, this Mario can do handstands, backflips and somersaults to help you get through every level faster. All of this a full 2 years before Mario 64 wound up expanding Mario’s move list. A nice nod to the fact that some of the biggest leaps in Nintendo's console games often had a precursor in their handheld games. (*Link Between Worlds and BotW look up as if their names got mentioned*)

There’s a wonderful pace to the game. The puzzle solving and platforming required isn't the hardest to do in under 5 minutes, but at less then 2,5 the game can make you sweat every now and then. Each of the 100 levels comes with a timer set at either 150 or 100 seconds to complete. So whilst giving the player a true adventure of over 100 levels, the game never feels drawn out. With Mario’s added move set: you can even complete certain levels in about 10-30 seconds. Very much the definition of ‘All Killer, No Filler’. 

But above all else, it has to be comedy and characterisation that puts this game above so many others for me. From the little cut-scenes in between levels that remind one of the old black and white animation shorts, to the many death animations that Mario gets if you take a wrong step. This game shows some real love for slapstick. Only in this Nintendo game can you kill Mario by burning him alive, letting him get manhandled by Donkey Kong, drown him, get him electrocuted and have him get flattened. I’d go so far as to say that this title has got RE4 beaten in the funny death animation department. 

Games like this weren’t made on a handheld budget back in the day. Most handheld games wound up being hand me downs from earlier consoles from most developers. Most handheld games wound up feeling a bit slight compared to their console brethren. Most games took for granted the people who could only play on handhelds.

Donkey Kong ’94 shows that wasn’t always the case. There were games that pushed what handheld games could be. Games that wanted to make you laugh, have an adventure and give you as much bang for your buck as possible. And Yokoi knew damn well most of those titles wound up on the Game Boy more often than not. 

Exactly because it lacked a color screen at the time, it forced developers to think of other ways to impress the audience than just making it look like a console game. It forced developers to work within the boundaries of black/white and easy to learn/hard to master. It forced developers to put in as much game as possible to compensate for the lack of power.

Some developers ignored that challenge, Donkey Kong ‘94 took it and became one of the greatest ever handheld games. And for my money the best game Miyamoto ever had a hand in.

6 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

How did Diddy Kong's Quest not make the top 200!!! Alundra I understand as it is not for everyone... BUT DKQ is LEGENDARY!!!!!! ARGHHHHH

Diddy's Kong Quest

289135-donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-s-kon

4 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Just to be clear, in my vote it was Kong Quest, but as a kid I read it as Kong's Quest. Regardless, correcting people is not cool!!! 

being wrong is even more not cool, ever thought of that?

8 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Just to be clear, in my vote it was Kong Quest, but as a kid I read it as Kong's Quest. Regardless, correcting people is not cool!!! 

Me too.  As a kid I thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest.

DKC2 is a masterpiece imo.  I don't understand why it's not more popular.  It has the best level design, best visuals, and best music that I've ever seen in a 2D platformer.

I think Yoshi's Island is another game that deserves more credit.  It's a game that does almost everything right, and I think in some ways it's even better than Super Mario World.  It just has 1 big flaw that somewhat ruins the game (crying Mario).

16 hours ago, mjf said:

Me too.  As a kid I thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest.

DKC2 is a masterpiece imo.  I don't understand why it's not more popular.  It has the best level design, best visuals, and best music that I've ever seen in a 2D platformer.

I think Yoshi's Island is another game that deserves more credit.  It's a game that does almost everything right, and I think in some ways it's even better than Super Mario World.  It just has 1 big flaw that somewhat ruins the game (crying Mario).

I could never finish this as a kid because I had a PAL SNES and an imported US copy of the game running off an adapter. at random times a new form of copy protection would kick in and it would give an anti-import message, and delete my save game 😞

I think if I ever go back to it - I'd need the to use the patch to stop the crying... can't have that in my life |-:

41 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Yoshi's Island is more inventive than SMW, but it's too easy.

I very recently finished the whole game - on my OG ntsc-u cart even - and Yoshi's Island is harder to finish that any Souls game. 

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I very recently finished the whole game - on my OG ntsc-u cart even - and Yoshi's Island is harder to finish that any Souls game. 

Did you aim for the 100%?

There's no chance I'm likely to ever pull that off, I don't think, even with a guide. It feels like something to try and do if you're twelve and it's the only game you own.

2 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Did you aim for the 100%?

There's no chance I'm likely to ever pull that off, I don't think, even with a guide. It feels like something to try and do if you're twelve and it's the only game you own.

I did, it was ultra-hard.
Also the games difficulty sky-rockets in the last couple of worlds. It might appear easy if you've only played the first 2 worlds or so. 

Right. I've never even seen the ending before. It's on my backlog, but it's one of those games that I fall off of half-way in to.

DKC2 is also ferocious. 15-year old me came close to the 102%, or whatever it was, but it broke me at the last straw.

Still, what a way for the SNES to send off 16-bit platforming. Two utter all-time classics.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I did, it was ultra-hard.
Also the games difficulty sky-rockets in the last couple of worlds. It might appear easy if you've only played the first 2 worlds or so. 

Right. I've never even seen the ending before. It's on my backlog, but it's one of those games that I fall off of half-way in to.

DKC2 is also ferocious. 15-year old me came close to the 102%, or whatever it was, but it broke me at the last straw.

Still, what a way for the SNES to send off 16-bit platforming. Two utter all-time classics.

I’m not the biggest platform game fan, but I always found Yoshi’s Island to be a frustrating game to play. Getting hit knocks baby Mario off your back, causing you to panic in your rush to rescue him. It’s tricky to find all the collectibles on each level and then not lose them on your way to the goal. The vehicle transformations often end up with you repeating sections multiple times if you don’t get through before the timer runs out. Even the egg shooting mechanism is time consuming. It’s a lovely looking game and very inventive, but I just don’t find it fun to play. Super Mario World on the other hand is effortlessly simple and brilliant.  

Yoshi's Island was fun to play, but I feel like it was a bit torturous for people going for 100%. Do you know how to trigger the cloud that gives you the extra stars for 100%, or where to fire an egg offscreen to catch a red coin? Buy our magazine walkthrough, losers.

Edit, I am blind. Never mind!

Am I blind or is Witcher 3 not in the top 200? If so it's really surprising. I'm sure it made top 100 multiple times and was game of the year from tons of outlets at the time. I wonder why its fallen from so many people's imaginations. Maybe because stuff like Elden Ring has superseded what people want from an open world. Witcher 3 definitely deserves top 100 in my opinion though. Ignore if I've just missed it, my PCs broke and I can't do search on this device.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!